4th Axis Problems

Thread: 4th Axis Problems

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 4th Axis Problems

We have a Fadal 4020/ Fanuc 18i contoller with a Fadal 4th axis head. The head was working fine until I used the M60 to lock the head and shut down the machine without unlocking it. The machine starts up now asking to zero the head (300 error code) but the head won't respond to the reference key or jog. I tried using the M61 to unlock the head but the cycle start won't work until the head has been zero returned. Is there some way around this?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, worse than being locked out of your car with the keys in your hand! It seems strange that the manufacturer would not have anticipated such a thing happening, though.

Does this have an air brake? In such a pinch, you might disconnect the airline and hook up a temporary 'shop air' line, with a ball valve. Apply air to unlock the head before attempting to do the zero return.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, it's strange that this possibility isn't discussed anywhere in the manuals. We've disconnecting the air but the error remains. The 4th axis button doesn't light up like it should when pressed. When we use the handheld controller the message comes up to unlock the head using the M61 command, which of course as I explained won't work until the zero return is done. I believe the problems lies within the controller itself, i.e. some parameter that needs to be switched off.

Downloads
    Uploads

Perhaps there is a switch within the 4th axis that has failed to operate. I'm thinking of a feedback device that tells the control that the rotary head is locked/unlocked, and that it is giving the wrong indication at present.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fourth Axis Problem solved

Hi

As I suspected there is a parameter that tells the control to turn off the head. Fadal confirmed the parameter 1815 bit 4 will turn off the head.

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Syncrude View Post
    We have a Fadal 4020/ Fanuc 18i contoller with a Fadal 4th axis head. The head was working fine until I used the M60 to lock the head and shut down the machine without unlocking it. The machine starts up now asking to zero the head (300 error code) but the head won't respond to the reference key or jog. I tried using the M61 to unlock the head but the cycle start won't work until the head has been zero returned. Is there some way around this?
    There is a paremeter you can change to get around this. I wont get back to my shop untill Mon. I can give you the numbers to change mon. night. You locked out a macro, so now you have to do it manualy to get around it. But easy to fix. I have the fadal 4525 with 4th axis and the Fanuc 18i also. Great combo.

Downloads
    Uploads

The 300 alarm is telling you that APC has lost its memory. There is no ref point programmed. This needs to be reset for that axis.

Neal