VH-5C Alignment Key removal

Thread: VH-5C Alignment Key removal

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VH-5C Alignment Key removal

Alignment key is shear off. Any tips on removing it?

I imagine the pin hole must go all the way to the outside of the spindle. If the seal is removed, is there enough room to drive out the broken pin?

Richard

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VH-5C Alignment Key removal

I guess I will reply to myself so at least there will be some sort of information for someone down the road.

NO, removing a $65 lip seal will NOT provide access to the hole in the side of the spindle. If the hole goes all the way through then it's hidden behind the brass worm gear that is bolted onto the spindle. In other words, total disassembly.

That pin is pretty hard also, so drilling with cobalt won't even scratch it.

Last edited by rwskinner; 10-01-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can say that the brass worm gear is back mounted to the spindle, so there is no exterior hole to cover up there.
    I'm pretty sure they did not machine a blind hole inside that 5C spindle, and still think it was machined all the way thru one side.
    But if that is the case, then either the spindle is 2 pc. or they covered the hole with a plug.

@Rodney247 ought to know how this is built for sure. Please tell?

Last edited by rwskinner; 10-01-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I solved the mystery. They drilled the hole thru the side of the spindle as expected, then pressed in a plug, then machined the O.D.
    You can barely see the plug if you look carefully. So, the only way I see it, drill the plug, remove it, drive the key out, then replace.
    Seems like a lot of freaking work to remove a broken pin.

Edit - That is exactly what I did. I drilled and tapped the plug for 10-32 and used a slide hammer and removed the plug. I was able to drive the old alignment key out. Now, I get to make a new alignment key, and a new plug, and reinstall.

Last edited by rwskinner; 10-01-2019 at 04:05 PM. Reason: updated

Downloads
    Uploads

New key made. Actually, flipped the existing key and ground a new tang on the fresh side. Installed, adjusted, then made a new plug and pressed in. Here is the plug, and look at the nice looking gear! Going back together with it this evening. Pretty easy once you've done it before, and being clean and not corroded helps a lot as well.

VH-5C Alignment Key removal-img_0476-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VH-5C Alignment Key removal-img_0476-jpg