power requirement

Thread: power requirement

Downloads
    Uploads

Default power requirement

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with running 2 machines on 100 amp service? 3phase 230 vac 40 amp each.
    any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Andy

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: power requirement

Is your 100 amp service single or 3 phase?

Just to put this in perspective, I have a 100 amp single phase service in my shop. I run my 7.5 hp Haas TM 2P, 10 HP CNC lathe, 3 HP CNC knee mill, and 5 HP air compressor at the same time with no problem. The Haas is wired for single phase, the lathe runs off of a 15 HP rotary phase converter, and the air compressor and knee mill off of VFDs. Then add to that lighting and other small loads up to a total of 20 amps or so.

If everything were to draw maximum rated current at the same time I might trip the main, but normally the machines draw a fraction of the rated current. I think you'll be OK.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Is your 100 amp service single or 3 phase?

Just to put this in perspective, I have a 100 amp single phase service in my shop. I run my 7.5 hp Haas TM 2P, 10 HP CNC lathe, 3 HP CNC knee mill, and 5 HP air compressor at the same time with no problem. The Haas is wired for single phase, the lathe runs off of a 15 HP rotary phase converter, and the air compressor and knee mill off of VFDs. Then add to that lighting and other small loads up to a total of 20 amps or so.

If everything were to draw maximum rated current at the same time I might trip the main, but normally the machines draw a fraction of the rated current. I think you'll be OK.
    You should be fine as long as your not pushing both really hard. I have a 125a single phase service to my shop and run a fadal 4020 and mazak QT10 at the same time. Slowing the spindle acceleration will help, especially on a lathe. Running a smaller compressor that can handle continuous operation will help with demand as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

It is 3 phase

thanks for the response