Vise size for a Fadal 3016

Thread: Vise size for a Fadal 3016

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vise size for a Fadal 3016

What is the correct size vise that should be used in a Fadal 3016 for general use?
    I know it will be 6" but the length is where I am getting confused 15", 17.5" or 20"? How much is ok to overhang from the table? I measured the table against the walls to check how much space is available there is not much in the back (y+) with the table all the way back however there is about 6" when it is all the way to the front (y-) but then again I am not sure how much is ok to overhang. Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Vise size for a Fadal 3016

Standard Kurt dx6 or I use parlec pws-6900s. I used them and even left the handles on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ianagos View Post
    Standard Kurt dx6 or I use parlec pws-6900s. I used them and even left the handles on.

Thank you for the picture ianagos the DX6 looks small in comparison to the pws-6900s, I know the the DX6 is 6"X18.37". I went to look at the specs for the pws-6900s and all I could find is "6" x 9" Opening Precision Milling Vise" no drawings of the vise with the specs, with that said those parlec monsters in your picture look like they are 8" perhaps they are "PWS-8110 8" x 11" Opening Precision Milling Vise".
    From the angle of the picture you can hardly see the DX6 extra 2.37" overhang off the table, could you please tell me the length of your Parlec?
    I read somewhere that for general use you should go for the biggest vise your machine can fit however I do not know if it is good practice to have a lot of overhang, have you had any problems? It doesn't sound like you have. Again thank you for the help!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil6 View Post
    Thank you for the picture ianagos the DX6 looks small in comparison to the pws-6900s, I know the the DX6 is 6"X18.37". I went to look at the specs for the pws-6900s and all I could find is "6" x 9" Opening Precision Milling Vise" no drawings of the vise with the specs, with that said those parlec monsters in your picture look like they are 8" perhaps they are "PWS-8110 8" x 11" Opening Precision Milling Vise".
    From the angle of the picture you can hardly see the DX6 extra 2.37" overhang off the table, could you please tell me the length of your Parlec?
    I read somewhere that for general use you should go for the biggest vise your machine can fit however I do not know if it is good practice to have a lot of overhang, have you had any problems? It doesn't sound like you have. Again thank you for the help!

Sorry about the confusion the table had a Kurt hdl4 which is a 4” wide vise thereby throwing all proportions out.
    I do not own a Kurt dx6 I just know it’s similar to the parlec in size.
    The parlec vise is about 17” with out the hex or 19” in total length. I cannot measure the stickout right now but I assure you a standard 6” vise or any vise under 20” long will work fine on your Fadal.

6” vises are the right size for this machine for general work but for higher density small work double station vises are the ticket. I own 2 Kurt hdl4 and a hdl6 for that kind of stuff although I want to get rid of them.

The setup in the picture I showed was working great for me when I owned that machine. I had mittee bite talon jaws on the double stationary op1 then flip to the single station vises with custom soft jaws for op 2. Producing two finished parts every cycle.

If you can afford it pickup some orange vises they seem good. My personal experience with my 3 Kurt hdl double station vises is that they are only ok quality. Honestly the parlec vises are smoother and nicer. I bought a couple of the parlec vises for $417 out the door at Msc and but they are local and I don’t have to pay shipping. Kurt dx6 can be had around $525 I think shipped. if you cannot afford one of these vises I would save up I hear the Chinese vises are not that great. I have two older 6” rusting away that I plan on giving away when I sell my other small mill. Glacern copied the parlec vise and sells an exact copy aswell but it was cheaper from msc for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

You are the man pal! Thank you for all the info. Everything makes sense now
    I would love to buy an Orange vise however those things are expensive, I am sure they are quality items I am still to see a bad review about them. Since we are talking about them, would you take a 6"x17.5" or a 6"x20" they are the same price.
    I am on the fence in between saving and buying an Orange or get a DX6 at 1/3 the price. I appreciate all your help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil6 View Post
    You are the man pal! Thank you for all the info. Everything makes sense now
    I would love to buy an Orange vise however those things are expensive, I am sure they are quality items I am still to see a bad review about them. Since we are talking about them, would you take a 6"x17.5" or a 6"x20" they are the same price.
    I am on the fence in between saving and buying an Orange or get a DX6 at 1/3 the price. I appreciate all your help.
    No problem glad I helped. I personally would grab the 20” vises due to the extra capacity but I would be using it on Fadal 4020 or 5020as so the 20” works out perfect. I do think the 20” orange will fit in your machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ianagos View Post
    No problem glad I helped. I personally would grab the 20” vises due to the extra capacity but I would be using it on Fadal 4020 or 5020as so the 20” works out perfect. I do think the 20” orange will fit in your machine.
    I agree I think there is about 6" of room to overhang the vise, for the same price might as well get the larger one in 20" it will overhang 4". I was unsure if it was detrimental in some way overhanging the vise but you did put that one to rest thank you!