C Axis Fault - Motor Overload

Thread: C Axis Fault - Motor Overload

Downloads
    Uploads

Default C Axis Fault - Motor Overload

I was doing a job today running real easy, then the machine shutdown with C Axis Fault - Motor Overload.
    No other error codes. If I reset it, and try again, I might get about 5 Inverter Faults on the screen, or it runs a few seconds then trips the again on motor overload.

INV-0054 Baldor Drive - No Rigid tapping and no encoder.

No faults on the Baldor inverter.
    If I put the Baldor in Local, it runs fine from the keypad. It's almost like the fadal getting a false signal.
    Any ideas where to check?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: C Axis Fault - Motor Overload

Looking thru all the electrical schematics online, I see that my 1993 model 4020HT DC servo machine doesn't match up real good with the online documents. Seems like most of the online schematics are for AC brushless machines, except for the VMC15 with DC motors?

Anyways, back to the C axis fault. Since I know the inverter is working and there are no faults in the diag log, I knew it had to be a bad connection of the 1010-1 Spindle card. I checked the 1010-1 card and I found the bullet connectors for the coax cables really loose. I removed them, spread the spring clips out and re-inserted all three. I also reseated the card.

It ran the next job with no issue, so crossed fingers, it hopefully took care of the problem.

So..... Where do I get actual schematics that match up with my machine?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    I was doing a job today running real easy, then the machine shutdown with C Axis Fault - Motor Overload.
    No other error codes. If I reset it, and try again, I might get about 5 Inverter Faults on the screen, or it runs a few seconds then trips the again on motor overload.

INV-0054 Baldor Drive - No Rigid tapping and no encoder.

No faults on the Baldor inverter.
    If I put the Baldor in Local, it runs fine from the keypad. It's almost like the fadal getting a false signal.
    Any ideas where to check?

Downloads
    Uploads

C axis faults indicate the spindle fault line has gone down or your Hall effect switch, used for orientation and speed right above the spindle pulley has failed. The key is this: When you command a spindle speed, does the spindle bump and alarm or does it not move at all. This will make a difference. A spindle that will bump, usually the Hall effect switch is likely dead. Otherwise, if the spindle if just dead, you probably need a new inverter.

FadalCNC.com Tech Support

Downloads
    Uploads

This started again. Spindle runs about 5 seconds then I get the C Axis Overload. I can run the spindle in local mode with no problem.
    Reseated all the cards and bullets but still doing it.
    Baldor is showing 15amps on the display with no load

Downloads
    Uploads

Congratulations!
    Regarding real schematics. I would suggest don't worry about that. It's normal today to have approximate schematics only.
    If you can understand how it works and troubleshoot, the documentation is considered as good enough.
    15A without load is really strange. Is it possible that the axis is clamped and trying to move a little? But then should be load indicated. Can you check the difference between commanded and present coordinate of the axis? Othervise 15A is abnormal.
    Can you check if it really consumes the 15A? Maybe the current detection is faulty?

Hi Dears
    I have a complete set of fadal control cards.
    Is there anyone who need them ? I sell them at a good price .
    Best Regards
    Majid

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

It was two issues, that showed up at the same time.
    Shift Solenoid wasn't working and I started getting Waiting on Air Valve. - Tore down valve and cleaned. I really need to update these old MAC valves.
    Disconnected all the connectors on the Spindle card and the connectors around the main board and reconnected and the C Axis over load went away.
    So it's up and going making parts once again, for now.

What type of valve is that called for the shift solenoids? It has two coils .