Fadal Surge protectors

Thread: Fadal Surge protectors

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fadal Surge protectors

Today when I turned the power on to my 4020 I heard a snap and saw blue flames come out of the control cabinet on the back, after some investigation I found that the surge protector blew up. The part number (1170-0) that is on the board all I can find is a part number 1170-2. Is the 1170-2 the same part newer version of the 1170-0 or is it something completely different? The one I have now is for 250v. My next question is I checked the voltage of all 3 legs of power, L1-249 volts L2- 252 volts and L3 was 250 volts if I get the new surge protector will the voltages I have blow out a new one?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fadal Surge protectors

Quote Originally Posted by hitechmachine View Post
    Today when I turned the power on to my 4020 I heard a snap and saw blue flames come out of the control cabinet on the back, after some investigation I found that the surge protector blew up. The part number (1170-0) that is on the board all I can find is a part number 1170-2. Is the 1170-2 the same part newer version of the 1170-0 or is it something completely different? The one I have now is for 250v. My next question is I checked the voltage of all 3 legs of power, L1-249 volts L2- 252 volts and L3 was 250 volts if I get the new surge protector will the voltages I have blow out a new one?
    As long as the new one is 240v you should be fine, theres also a 480v version, make sure you get the right one. The new style should work the same way as original even though they look different. 250v is on the high side. Have you been using it a while or is it a new installation? Id say your close to the edge. These suppressors are metal oxide varistors. Once voltage gets above a certain level they conduct power to ground to protect the rest of the machine from over voltage spikes. Over time the voltage level that they start to conduct can drop lower and lower until you get to a point where it starts to conduct the normal line voltage and then they blow up.

I had one go on my spindle braking unit. I just cleaned up the board with alcohol and soldered in a new one and its been fine ever since. I did re tap my transformer 10v higher to drop the voltage at the VFD just to be sure. This wont help in your case as the suppressor is before the transformer. That doesnt really make a whole lot of sense really, whats the point of having a multi tap transformer if the suppressor cant handle higher voltage?? If the new one blows up you might need a buck/boost transformer to drop voltage.

Downloads
    Uploads

my reply to this thread may help

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/fadal...-1170-2-a.html

if you look up the data for the MOV's on the 1170-0 PCB have a look at the voltage rating and the clamping voltage

you should find for a 250 V AC MOV the clamping voltage about 630V (when it goes low resistance to absorb the voltage spike )
    MOV's have a limited life as they are suffer some damage every time the clamp transient voltages on the line

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ordered the board will have it hooked up next week and see what happens.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I forgot to mention in my first post that my service is 208 and this is a new install on a used machine. I haven't ran anything on the machine I have it torn apart replacing oil lines right now.

brainstorm21

You are lucky one. Dude do you understand ,that you could destroy all the electrical appliances? The surge protecor should solve your problem,but there is need for good surge protecotor. You can find them at sevensevenreviews.com. There are a lot of different goods with their characteristics,cons and pros(price ,quality). I wish you be more careful next time dude.

Downloads
    Uploads

You do realize a varistor isn’t the same as the surge protector your linking to? These are internal circuit protection Metal Oxide varistors that protect incoming power to the transformers which supply power to the internal cabinet. Looks to me like this is probably a spam response it certainly isn’t directly related to this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by AdminCrew View Post
    You are lucky one. Dude do you understand ,that you could destroy all the electrical appliances? The surge protecor should solve your problem,but there is need for good surge protecotor. You can find them at sevensevenreviews.com. There are a lot of different goods with their characteristics,cons and pros(price ,quality). I wish you be more careful next time dude.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hitechmachine View Post
    I forgot to mention in my first post that my service is 208 and this is a new install on a used machine. I haven't ran anything on the machine I have it torn apart replacing oil lines right now.
    How did you turn out on your 4020? We just had the identical issue on a 4020 we purchased that is now powered with 208 3 phase. Not sure if the voltage drop from previous shop caused the failure or not but it happened moments after we turned it on. We jogged the axis to remove the counterweight bars and table blocks and that was it. It started smoking out of the back cabinet and we shut it down. Finding the same replacement has been a little challenging for a discontinued part.

Downloads
    Uploads

The MOV's are discontinued. There're available everywhere.
    Google NTE524V25

Quote Originally Posted by Uguessedit View Post
    How did you turn out on your 4020? We just had the identical issue on a 4020 we purchased that is now powered with 208 3 phase. Not sure if the voltage drop from previous shop caused the failure or not but it happened moments after we turned it on. We jogged the axis to remove the counterweight bars and table blocks and that was it. It started smoking out of the back cabinet and we shut it down. Finding the same replacement has been a little challenging for a discontinued part.

Last edited by rwskinner; 04-16-2020 at 10:14 PM.