Newbie Looking At Older VMC40, VMC 3016 - What are differences in cnc88 over the years

Thread: Looking At Older VMC40, VMC 3016 - What are differences in cnc88 over the years

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking At Older VMC40, VMC 3016 - What are differences in cnc88 over the years

what are the differences (if any) between cnc 88 on a '87 vmc40 and cnc 88 on a '92 vmc3016?

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Looking At Older VMC40, VMC 3016 - What are differences in cnc88 over the years

Thats a tough question because Fadals doesnt matter what year they are can be upgraded to current software. If the cards are atleast -5 cards that would be great. if they are -1's thats old. but if your at the control and you type UT in the command and the utilities page come up your looking good. or if you push the spacebar and it goes through pages and the editor thats nice if the SETP is set for it. if you want to know the version of software go to the last page of the Menu MU command it will tell you the version.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking At Older VMC40, VMC 3016 - What are differences in cnc88 over the years

CNC board versions are -1, -2 almost no -3, the -4 and -5. -5 is the latest version of processor. -5 means 1400-5 in slot #5 of your card rack. Take a look at this card between the machines and see what you have. I would replace the control if you have a 1400-1, -2 or -3. It's about $8k for a full upgrade to today's current technology and in stock at FadalCNC.com. It is manufactured by Calmotion and called the 527F. You can install it in about 2 hours. You do not need a technician to do it.

So back to your original question, simply look at the card revisions and stay away from the older versions. At least from a control point of view. If the machine is sound mechanically, it makes sense to buy inexpensively and invest money into the control. You will be pleased you did. So if your machines have a -4 or -5, you are probably good and boards are available if you have issues in the future. The upgrade speeds everything up and tons of memory, the -4 and -5 differ from small fixes in the software and added ability to mount much more memory on the CPU. -4 can only be upgraded to .5 meg and -5C can go as high as 16 meg. You have 16 meg with the upgrade.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will help clear the fog on these old controllers.

FadalCNC Tech Support

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the replies. i'm looking at a few older machines that do have the -1 control but also a few newer models as well.
    this info is very helpful.
    thanks,

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FadalCNC_Com View Post
    CNC board versions are -1, -2 almost no -3, the -4 and -5. -5 is the latest version of processor. -5 means 1400-5 in slot #5 of your card rack. Take a look at this card between the machines and see what you have. I would replace the control if you have a 1400-1, -2 or -3. It's about $8k for a full upgrade to today's current technology and in stock at FadalCNC.com. It is manufactured by Calmotion and called the 527F. You can install it in about 2 hours. You do not need a technician to do it.

So back to your original question, simply look at the card revisions and stay away from the older versions. At least from a control point of view. If the machine is sound mechanically, it makes sense to buy inexpensively and invest money into the control. You will be pleased you did. So if your machines have a -4 or -5, you are probably good and boards are available if you have issues in the future. The upgrade speeds everything up and tons of memory, the -4 and -5 differ from small fixes in the software and added ability to mount much more memory on the CPU. -4 can only be upgraded to .5 meg and -5C can go as high as 16 meg. You have 16 meg with the upgrade.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will help clear the fog on these old controllers.

FadalCNC Tech Support
    i am also looking at at VMC-15 that has a Fadal re-manufacturer date of 2007. i'm going to see it tomorrow.
    what work is performed with a re-manufacturer?
    is control hardware/software upgraded?
    the new placard on the machine is different than what i typically see and does not have -1, -2, -5, etc...
    thanks...