Problem Z axis Jumps up during tool change

Thread: Z axis Jumps up during tool change

Default Z axis Jumps up during tool change

Hello

Last week we had a X axis amp card fail. the new one arrived today. we followed all instructions for installation. and tuned all the drives for the metric ball screw.
    Now when the head goes to do a tool change. it unloads the tool and then jumps up about a inch. moves to the next tool and the change is complete.

were not sure what to do. any suggestions as to why this suddenly started ?

thanks Gord

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Z axis Jumps up during tool change

Well forst off do you have a metric ball screw? Second I would do a zero memory procedure then reload the parameters in sets as they are written on the inside back of the monitor panel.
    Sheet looks like my attached photo and pretty much tells you all the Setp info.

Downloads
    Uploads

Gmeenzies,

Based on your description of the problem, I think we are missing something. The spindle will put the tool away, pull up above the tool and rotate to the next tool. If your Z axis is only lifting an inch after replacing the tool in the tool changer, then it would knock the tool out of the changer and not do another tool change. Could you send a small video of what it is doing and I can help. Send to CNCPros12@Gmail.com.

I will look over the video and let you know where to look for the problem.

FadalCNC Tech Support

Hi FadalCNC

the tool changer moves to the Tool change position and lifts up to clear tool before rotation and then goes up additional inch

I e-mailed you a link to download the video file.

Hi ianagos

I opened the panel behinds the monitor. there is a check box for millimeter ball screw. that is checked off . so we do have a metric ball screw.

Hello all

So we have done the following

replace the amp card- tuned to 302 as per version 15 on the EPROMS card
    swapped the EPROM axis card ( AXIS control card and swapped jumpers to match axis)
    We did a ZERO memory procedure.
    we set a home position at the highest tool change position to see if we can duplicate the jump in rapid when send head to home position
    we checked the air for the tool changer to make sure it was operating correctly

we had a local service come and look for mechanical problems . he could not see anything that seamed obvious.

machine runs perfect except for this jump.

https://app.box.com/s/iuqrl2glmp1gwjwue9ertinktfzvhwsr

for those interested here is a link for a short iPhone video

anybody have seen this before?

thanks for any advice

Gord

Downloads
    Uploads

Gord, I think your next step is to remove your extended memory and try again. If it is still jumping, put your memory back on the CPU board and look at replacing your software. The axis is being told to move up, it is not intermittent. You may have a corrupt software module. The part number is PCB-0159 in stock.

FadalCNC Tech Support

So we changed the module today. No change

The new module does change a few things on the control . ie: coldstart says working and there appears to be a few new options
    That we did not have before. Ie: spindle to RPM before next block

We switched air solenoids in the back of the machine – no change
    We checked the Relays- all good.
    Replaced the fuses

We are at a loss as to why there is this little jump only on tool change.

So we are going to keep machining as we are now late on projects.
    Hopefully we don’t have a catastrophic failure.

We have decided to keep the new module,

We looked online to see what others have had trouble with.
    The only thing we see is a draw bar failure, but the tool releases when we do a manual tool change easily.

Do you know of a switch or something that triggers that the head is up in the tool change clear position ?

Thanks Gord

Downloads
    Uploads

Gord, If you have replace the software module with no change, then I think your processor is the next best logical replacement. If you order from us, we can send you the card and if it fixes it, buy is and if it doesn't fix it send it back with no restock.

When you tried swapping the Z axis controller card, did the problem move with the card or did the problem persist? I think you said it still was happening but I need to be clear on that subject.

That being said, a good alternative solution would be to send in your card rack for us to troubleshoot all your boards and backplane on our test machine. We should be able to nail it down within a day if the problem is in your card rack, and then you have it back repaired in a couple of days. We charge $350 for this service and saves on down time, service calls and shipping boards back and forth...losing time and money.

Think it over and let me know how I can help further.

FadalCNC Tech Support

Hello FadalCNC Tech

So we have been happily machining away , just living with the tool change jump. so far it has not affected the performance of the machine.
    maybe not the best thing to do . we were so back up with work. we had to take a chance.
    But on a positive note. since we changed the amp card with the newer version we bought from you and the new module.
    the machine is running very accurate. After resetting the back lash as per factory instructions.

we will try swapping the amp cards when things settle down in the shop and have time to re visit this annoying problem.

Merry Christmas

talk to you in the new year.

Gord

In the picture you posted of the Parameter settings it is marked 1 which is the Inch pitch not Metric.

What happens when you do a TC,1 ? Easy visual check for the screws is jog the head down and take a look at the screw if the head cover is all sealed off you could also slide the z axis stainless ballscrew cover up

Z axis Jumps up during tool change-img_20181219_092812-jpg Metric

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z axis Jumps up during tool change-img_20181219_092812-jpg  

And if you adjusted the amps as if you had metric your amp adjustments will be way off and could do something like this Current is way too low

Hi Rodney

The parameter image below was from another user. I re-check ours and it is metric.
    appreciate you looking at the details
    here is a snap shot of our parameters in the control box
    Z axis Jumps up during tool change-metric-screw-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z axis Jumps up during tool change-metric-screw-jpg  

LOL wow that made it confusing. So when you do a TC,1 it does the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by rodney247 View Post
    LOL wow that made it confusing. So when you do a TC,1 it does the same thing?

This happens during any tool change. TC,1. Etc. Very frustrating