Need Help! Fadal vmc 15xt losing parameters and what to look for purchasing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fadal vmc 15xt losing parameters and what to look for purchasing

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fadal vmc 15xt losing parameters and what to look for purchasing

So if found a decent deal on VMC 15xt with 88hs control. The only issue is the control will not hold the parameters (whatever they are??) according to the seller. Now i know very little about these industrial machines and don't actually know what the parameters i have to reset would be? is there like a list of machine travels i would need to know? I do know how to run a cold start on the machine and it is under power for viewing.

I am currently stationed in California so my dad is going down to look at the machine on Wednesday and ill get an update on it. Is there anything specifically he should check out on the machine? The owner said that the axis do all jog but like stated will not hold parameters. Also how easy are these to move we have a 5k lift with 4ft forks but im thinking that wont lift it so we might rent a forklift and drop it on my dads trailer and then it will just be interesting getting it off with the small lift.

Some machine specifications if it helps.
    1999 Fadal Vmc 15xt
    88HS control
    7500 rpm spindle
    10hp spindle (owner says its single phase?) I assume no rigid tap.

in the end im hoping to have a affordable small machine that i will be satisfied with and get rid of my excello 602 cnc "project"

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fadal vmc 15xt losing parameters and what to look for purchasing

My 1st guess would be the battery is dead. Does it hold parameters as long as the power is on, then when powered off parameters need to be reset next power on. Battery is easy to replace with a little soldering skills.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
    My 1st guess would be the battery is dead. Does it hold parameters as long as the power is on, then when powered off parameters need to be reset next power on. Battery is easy to replace with a little soldering skills.
    That was my first guess too but the seller made it sound as though it lost everything while on. But if it’s only when it’s off then I suspect the battery and capacitor are dead. This makes sense because the machine didn’t run for a while.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Fadal 88HS control has 3 short pages that you manually input the parameters. There is a sheet that is usually stored in the cabinet that has all that information recorded. If not, you can usually figure it out with a knowledgable Fadal tech. You'll also need to reload the backlash values.
    Plenty of places online that have PDF of Fadal Manuals.
    That mill weighs 5,500lbs and 4 foot forks won't get you there. Hiring a rigger would be money well spent in my opinion.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tedger View Post
    The Fadal 88HS control has 3 short pages that you manually input the parameters. There is a sheet that is usually stored in the cabinet that has all that information recorded. If not, you can usually figure it out with a knowledgable Fadal tech. You'll also need to reload the backlash values.
    Plenty of places online that have PDF of Fadal Manuals.
    That mill weighs 5,500lbs and 4 foot forks won't get you there. Hiring a rigger would be money well spent in my opinion.
    Yea I think we may rent a forklift if I end up getting the machine. That’s just another expense I can barely afford. Thanks for your help so far. Hopefully those pages will be I. The cabinet.

Downloads
    Uploads

If it loses parameters and is now running, it sounds at least you have the copy of them.
    Otherwise it would be a white Elephant!
    BTW, you can change the batteries while the power is on.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    If it loses parameters and is now running, it sounds at least you have the copy of them.
    Otherwise it would be a white Elephant!
    BTW, you can change the batteries while the power is on.
    Al.

Yea I’m not really understanding therefore why gonna have to go look at it.

He says this machine is single phase too so that’s a plus because currently I’m running off a phase converter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Lost parameters arn't a problem on a Fadal with 88HS so don't get too worried if you don't have a back-up. By the way,sometimes Fadal would also have a sticker in the monitor compartment that had them recorded.
    The battery is soldered to the main board and must be removed to be replaced. They usually last a looooong time though. I have Fadals from the late 90's that still have the original batteries.
    That machine was offered from the factory with a single phase transformer so if you got one, that's a big bonus. They had a pin to put into the Z counterweight for shipping. If you don't have it,make sure you run the Z head down and afix it to a block of wood before shipping.

Parameters are not a problem on the Fadals very easy, basically answer questions. Majority of 15's with 7500 rpm have rigid tapping so most likely you have it. There is a sticker or card with the original Parameters. Will say rigid tap. Also in Manual data type G84.2 and it will spin calibrate and then hold the spindle rock solid in position. Attached is your Parts Manual https://itscnc.com/images/VMC_15_15XT.pdf you can download lots of other manuals too very useful all FREE, Never pay for a Fadal Manual (like on Ebay)

Pretty sure the Machine is closer to 7,000 pounds but anyways the VMC 15's have pockets (square tubing front to back) specifically there for your Forks. Makes it very safe to move. As long as the Forklift is rated to lift the weight. 5k forklift will be dangerous. But good luck. I have 9 Fadals oldest is 1984 but check out the finish on our 1986 4020

Good thing the 15xt is 1999 cause it has waylube pump not grease fittings. I also have a 15xt cuts great we make Cast iron Housings and it can push a 2" spade drill 300rpm feed 2in. with no pilot hole. No problem.

If you have any questions give me a call

BTW, you cannot change the battery while the Fadal is on. Losing your Parameters on a Fanuc or basically any other machine can be a very serious problem if you dont have a back-up. Losing your parameters on a Fadal is a 5 minute inconvenience. Just type SETP and answer the basic questions some of the questions even give you a hint to what the answer is, lol . And many of them are factory answered some get slightly adjusted for tuning.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rodney247 View Post
    BTW, you cannot change the battery while the Fadal is on. Losing your Parameters on a Fanuc or basically any other machine can be a very serious problem if you dont have a back-up. Losing your parameters on a Fadal is a 5 minute inconvenience. Just type SETP and answer the basic questions some of the questions even give you a hint to what the answer is, lol . And many of them are factory answered some get slightly adjusted for tuning.
    Thanks, I thought it was the same as Fanuc!
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well thanks so far for the help. Once powered on the machine worked fine although the toolchanger dropped a tool. The parameter where all in and the machine works. There is about .02” backlash in the y but the screw looks good. Also missing a z axis way cover so I’ll have to find it. Pretty sure I’ll be purchasing it.

Factory wired for single phase btw and 1 owner machine.

Does anybody know how to exit diagnostics mode? I tried x but nothing? Ended up just shutting off the machine and re cold starting.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well machine is mine
    Going to hire a forklift to move it next week bill of sale is being written up.

I spent 4K on the machine with no tooling. Does that sound like a decent price?
    As far as I know no rigid tapping. And no tsc but my dad didn’t know much about machines.

Downloads
    Uploads

Major backlash on a Fadal is Thrust bearing 99% of the time. Fairly easy to fix. Cheap also. "X" should get you exited out of diagnostics. You may need to zero out the memory if you have any currupted data.
    4K is a great price in my book. It has servo coolant, that was an option. Check the spindle control card for two eproms. the will say "Ridgid Tap" if it has it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tedger View Post
    Major backlash on a Fadal is Thrust bearing 99% of the time. Fairly easy to fix. Cheap also. "X" should get you exited out of diagnostics. You may need to zero out the memory if you have any currupted data.
    4K is a great price in my book. It has servo coolant, that was an option. Check the spindle control card for two eproms. the will say "Ridgid Tap" if it has it.

Yea could not get the x to work. Tried RI to errasse the memory but it did not work. Machine also have 386k expansion memory. With the diagnostics it passed the eprom and ram tests along with other tests in the diagnostics.

Machine also had CL locked diagnostics with a access code. Had to call their old fadal rep to get the code.

Thankyou so far for help I’ll have him look for rigid tap when we go to pick it up.

I’ll start shopping for new bearings for the screw too. Do you know what the number is for them?

Downloads
    Uploads

Congrats on your new toy.
    I don't know the bearings for that machine but look online for one of the many fine vendors that supply parts. (fadalcnc.com, itscnc.com, compumachine just to name a few) You can get it in a kit form.
    Also,RI (reinitialize memory) is not the same as a "Zero out memory". That's a different procedure that you'll want to do. Reseating all the PC cards isn't a bad idea either. Spend some time going over all this in the manual.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fadal vmc 15xt losing parameters and what to look for purchasing

I don’t mean to keep re replying but
    I’m getting no toolholders and I see bt40s for very cheap. Can I change the machine to use these? On the fadal cnc website I see different tool changer plates and one says ct one is bt and one is either. How do I tell what plate I have if I wanted to switch over? The tool changer clips are very worn out and need to be replaced anyways. I think why it dropped a tool.

Or are cat40s better and I should stay away from bt?
    They seem identical to me? I just know the tool holder grooves are different sizes.

Just came across another thing. The machine is a extended z travel which I did not know I’m really hoping it is going to fit in a regular garage. Anybody put one in there before and how much clearance there is?

That is a fantastic price 4k. Thats just short of you stole it.... lol . If who ever bought it originally got the option of Programmable coolant as i see you have uh i would be shocked that it doesn't have rigid tap. dropping a tool after moving the machine is common for a possible 2 reasons. 1. the z axis motor was removed for shipping and reinstalled with the coupler in the wrong orientation. The couplers are usually marked with ink for the proper orientation. Or when you did CS you didnt chec k the CS lines

Keep it CAT40 if its set for Cat

You can tighten up the clips with the screw driver trick. Put a skinny screwdriver between the clip finger and TC Plate and give a little tweak, they are springy and it will tighten em up and grip the tools better. Dont need to buy clips try that first thats what i allways do works great

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast