TR65 5th Axis on Standard Z Column?

Thread: TR65 5th Axis on Standard Z Column?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default TR65 5th Axis on Standard Z Column?

I'm looking into putting a TR65 on my 4020. it doesn't have extended Z. Any idea what the height of the TR65 face is off of the machine base table when in the fully up/vertical position? i havent found any drawings or solid models of the TR65; trying to estimate how big of a part I could possibly do with this thing / obviously extended Z would be ideal - don't have that feature though.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: TR65 5th Axis on Standard Z Column?

Somewhere around 8.5-9inches IIRC

We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts :) If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    Somewhere around 8.5-9inches IIRC
    and the table to axis line when in the horizontal position (similar position to VH-65 4th)? the VH 65 is about 6.5 or so table up to center.

I figure if the TR65 face is 9" off the floor when vertical position, I can do a 4" length part without doing fancy tricks to get the thing out of the way of the umbrella style tool changer. I have tool change positions as an option that I wrote into my post for tall parts where the machine will leave the tool at the clearance height, move the part off to right side, then come down and do a tool change. this kind of trick will be the norm I suspect.

the 4" length part comes from the fact that my renishaw probe is 12" off of the machine table in the tool changer and it is usually the longest tool by a fair amount (not all cases, but really for 5th axis work on a TR65 I wouldn't expect to do huge drilling)

the umbrella tool changer is such a PITA. ideally you would have side mount tool changer and extended z for the TR65 work.

when you do the fancy tool change position routine though, you get the full z height which is about 4" above the CS z point where tool changes happen, so I guess I could do a 6" or even 8" long part if i was comfortable milling right at the top of my Z.

imho the table looks taller than 8.5" though. would be nice to see an actual measurement. don't you have (used to have) some TR65's? I read mostly your posts on the subject

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure do, have a couple good ones in service. The issue with them now is that some parts are not available. This means they will eventually float off into obscurity. You can run one on a 16"Y axis you just need to hardwire in a travel limit in Y. And the Fadal carousel tool changer is the most reliable tool changer ever made. You can move your X to the other end of its travel and call up a tool. With an extra 4"s of up travel you can call out tool height as a positive number to take advantage of the extra four inches of travel.

We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts :) If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    Sure do, have a couple good ones in service. The issue with them now is that some parts are not available. This means they will eventually float off into obscurity. You can run one on a 16"Y axis you just need to hardwire in a travel limit in Y. And the Fadal carousel tool changer is the most reliable tool changer ever made. You can move your X to the other end of its travel and call up a tool. With an extra 4"s of up travel you can call out tool height as a positive number to take advantage of the extra four inches of travel.
    your PM's are full, I have a few questions about the TR-65 / will you shoot me an PM?