What is your best mod you have done to your Fadal - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your best mod you have done to your Fadal

Downloads
    Uploads

Does that make is a 88hs? where you can choose format 1 or 2? I dont know all the systems so please disreguard my ignorance.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am not sure what the difference is between the 88 and the 88hs.
    i can still choose f1 or f2

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Going back to the coolant through the spindle. I would very much like to go this route, but talking to Fadal today the kit costs $5200 and if you wan the new improved upgrade it is $2100 more. This is way out of my price range. What are some other options if any? I need to get coolant through some indexable drills.

Thanks,

Scott

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I added a micro switch for tool setting, it is +/- .0015 every time

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thru spindle coolant

When I added thru spindle coolant to my Fadal I just ordered the tool out piston and seal kit from fadal. The pump was from e-bay. Check the parts catalog for the items that are different. My orentation bridge was pre drilled for the seal kit. 1999 3016 It is not that complicated look at the view it the parts manual.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do you tell if the orientation bridge is ready for the conversion?
    Also, what kind and make of pump are you using?

Thanks,

Scott

Downloads
    Uploads

If you remove the tool out cyl. There should be two 1/4 holes at 3 & 9 o-clock on a approx 2" bolt circle centered around the tool out piston shaft. These are for holding up the spring loaded seal for assy. Also 3 holes for dowel pins around the same hole. Go to fadal's documentaion @ fadal.com for
    nice PDF's on this area. My pump is a single phase 1 1/2 hp baldor motor with a gear head pump. No name on the pump but it makes 150 psi max.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Other mods...

I made several mods that made a differance.The first was replacing the aluminum gibbs with bronze gibbs,I also made all the straps out of steel and painted them with epoxy.I had the way covers powder coated and painted the raw cast iron on the bottom of the table with epoxy also.All the lube lines were replaced with nomex core hydraulic hose.When I did the turcite,I used .09 thick sheet and cut it to .08 thick,then cut the oil grooves .015 deeper.
    I replaced the cheap bearings in those cheese ball Glentek motors with good ones and painted the insides also(keeps the rust from working the magnets loose).Also repaced the steel core seal tite with solid pvc.Also ran oil lines to the front gibbs.
    At one time I attemped to replace th V belt in the tool changer with a cogged belt,but the tool changer is desighned to slip and it would not stay in the foward
    TC postion-it did work fast,though.
    If you have a smaller fadal with 20" of x axis travel,you can get an extra 2" by removing 1' of bellville washers from each side and resetting the x axis
    parameters for 22".
    After the gibb strap replacement,I noticed it cut a better finish and rounder circles.
    The fadal isnt a bad machine for the money,but for another $3500 they could
    have used good servo's(Glenteks SUCK),used encoders,put limit switches on it and used waylock to glue the turcite down-5 minute epoxy dont get it.
    On the flip side Fadal service is helpful and they put their manuals on the net.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We recently installed remote tool & work offset access from a single PC located outside a robotically loaded cell to three VMC 4020 machines. Operator can change any of the tool length or diameter values and fixture offsets without entering the cell.

Paul Sevin - Ovation Engineering, Inc.
    http://www.ovationengineering.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I add 4 megs of ram, mount air on spindel for milling harding steel. I also mount air pistol by the pendant and coolant pistol for chip removing.
    I add some home made filter for smaler chips on the bottom of machine, on the place where coolant return to tank.

Downloads
    Uploads

Control Replacement (PC baesed Numeryx) Huge benefits to accuracy & productivity... Memory virtually unlimited, no more RS232 or DNC...

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...1013#post41013

Coolant pump upgrade to 220 Volts, 150 Psi
    Coolant filtration
    6x Coolant nozzle manifold
    Remote hose for wash down
    Plexiglass lid to keep the chips & coolant inside
    Flexible chip curtain around Carosel Tool Changer to reduce contamination

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is your best mod you have done to your Fadal-bag-filter-jpg   What is your best mod you have done to your Fadal-manifold_2-jpg  
    Scott_bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Lets see that splash guard you have scott

Downloads
    Uploads

The best mods I did to my personal Fadals was the -5 controller upgrade. I never had any problems with my machines.

The best mods we did to the newer -104 Fadals at my current employer was to move them through the roll up doors at the back of the shop and onto a truck, where they went back to Fadal. All 15 of them. Our Okumas are nice, really nice.

Downloads
    Uploads

cadman,

Is Okuma back in buisness? I ran an Okuma once they are sweet. Do they still have their own control? I just vaguely remember pip (for communications) and the color coded G-code displays, The machine was heavy duty...

carbidecrafter,

The best image I have is on a video (.zip) file...

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Scott_bob; 05-01-2007 at 11:39 AM.
    Scott_bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    The best mods I did to my personal Fadals was the -5 controller upgrade. I never had any problems with my machines.

The best mods we did to the newer -104 Fadals at my current employer was to move them through the roll up doors at the back of the shop and onto a truck, where they went back to Fadal. All 15 of them. Our Okumas are nice, really nice.

OMG thats a hell of a blow for fadal!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_bob View Post
    cadman,

Is Okuma back in buisness? I ran an Okuma once they are sweet. Do they still have their own control? I just vaguely remember pip (for communications) and the color coded G-code displays, The machine was heavy duty...
    Okuma America was having some financial issues a while back but that is all water under the bridge now. They still have their own controllers. Our machines have the OSP-P100M, fully loaded with just about every option and Super Hi-NC being the main attraction. OSP-P200M is the newest controller and then there is the optional THINC controller. Don't really know much about that one.

I definitely concurr about being heavy duty. Knucklehea.., I mean operators, have tried to merge spindle with rotary table on a few machines at near full rapid, and other than bent sheet metal, zero damage. Well, one spindle was out of alignment .0002 from factory spec on the Y axis.

Downloads
    Uploads

cadman,

Sorry in advance to those theme fanatics but:
    Wanna try the BPT test program on one of your Okuma controls?
    Being a new control, it ought to be fast at motion...

Scott_bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Default High volume Coolant & Splash guard

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    Lets see that splash guard you have scott
    By the way, on this Fadal that has the Fadal Pallet System, the table is much closer to the tool changer. With the addition of the high volume 6 nozzle manifold that surrounds the Tool from 180 degrees for good chip evacuation, the coolant & chip splash would get up into the carrousel tool changer, so this was a necessity... Also, 150 psi & six nozzles was too much pressure, so we vented back into the coolant tank pressure above 75 psi with pressure waste gate, which also circulated the coolant in the tank as well. So, IMO pressure above 75 psi at 100 feet total dynamic head is over kill...

Scott_bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Disconnected the air and power and installed a machine from a different manufacturer. JUST KIDDING. I did do that but I still love my other three (3) older FADALS! I also added high intensity lighting to mine. Coming soon....installing higher pressure pumps for the coolant system and replacing the new style DOW Frost pump with one that actually works!.

Jeff Lange
    Lightning Tool & Manufacturing, Inc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_bob View Post
    cadman,

Sorry in advance to those theme fanatics but:
    Wanna try the BPT test program on one of your Okuma controls?
    Being a new control, it ought to be fast at motion...
    Scott_bob,

Unfortunately anything personal is not allowed to be run on the machines, and production control does a pretty good job of keeping them scheduled.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast