Fadal Communication problems

Thread: Fadal Communication problems

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fadal Communication problems

I cant seem to get any communication going between my computer and machine (control is cnc 88HS) Ive tried the test plug it shows the cnc is working right and a test of the cable also shows no problems. Im using bobcad V20 and my settings are 7 even 1- XON/XOFF@ 2400 baud. I have a cable that came with the machine its got some king of board and switch on it I dont know whats its for. Any help would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

060310-1117 EST USA

sc_crasher:

I do not know about your specific machine. However, here is some general information assuming a typical 25 pin RS232 connector.

Pin 1 may be connected to machine chassis and should read near zero volts DC. If so check resistance from pin 1 to chassis this will be near zero if pin 1 is connected to chassis. Do the same on pin 7. On a HAAS pin 7 will read 100 ohms to chassis.

Put your meter common lead to chassis. Use the plus lead to measure voltage at pins 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 20.

If pin 2 reads about -8 to -12 V DC, then this is the TxD signal. Then check pin 4 and 20 for about +8 to +12 V DC. On a HAAS pins 6, 8, and 20 are not used and are jumpered together. On Fanuc these are used. Fadal I do not know.

Next jumper pins 4 and 5. And separately jumper together 6, 8, and 20.

Now connect the meter to pin 2 and send data from the Fadal. While data is being sent you should see a typical DC voltmeter fluctate between about -1 and +1 Volt. After data stops the voltage should return to the -8 to -12 V value. If you get these results, then you are sending data from the CNC.

Report back.

Monkeywrench Technician DareBee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I assume you have verified that your MC Is set at 2400 baud?
    Are you trying to DNC or batch send?

www.integratedmechanical.ca

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post Some additional info to help out

http://www.g-zero.com/G0Help/MiscCom.../CNC-FADAL.htm

This is what the final should look like,,

Downloads
    Uploads

Are You Using The Printer Port Or The Com 1 Port On Back Of Pc,?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

060412-1638 EST USA

I disagree with the circuit diagram shown in the reference in chipsahoy's post in the following respect:

Pins 4 and 20 are outputs. Pins 4 and 5 need to be jumpered, but not connected to 6, 8, and 20.

Whether Fadal has anything connected to 6, 8, and 20 I do not know. HAAS does not so it would not matter. If this connector went to a Fanuc you might have trouble with 4 connected to 20. Thus, from a general stand point you should never connect pin 4 to 20 on a 25 pin RS232 with the pin useage as shown.

In logic circuits you never connect outputs together, they may fight each other and some time will, unless you have open collector outputs and want a wired OR logic function from these outputs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gar
    060412-1638 EST USA

I disagree with the circuit diagram shown in the reference in chipsahoy's post in the following respect:

Pins 4 and 20 are outputs. Pins 4 and 5 need to be jumpered, but not connected to 6, 8, and 20.

Whether Fadal has anything connected to 6, 8, and 20 I do not know. HAAS does not so it would not matter. If this connector went to a Fanuc you might have trouble with 4 connected to 20. Thus, from a general stand point you should never connect pin 4 to 20 on a 25 pin RS232 with the pin useage as shown.

In logic circuits you never connect outputs together, they may fight each other and some time will, unless you have open collector outputs and want a wired OR logic function from these outputs.

GAR IS CORRECT..

(4 and 5) together and then (6, 8, and 20.)

My machine is connected this way and its working fine.. One pointer is the ground on #1.. I sanded a part of the Chassis to get a good ground..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I dont have anyway to check those pins but heres what I have done: I used the test plug supplied with the machine and it shows the machine to be communicating properly. I then put the test plug on my cable, again it said everything was working fine. Next I plugged up a printer to my computers port and it saw and installed the printer so I know it works. I downloaded a trial version of dncxp but still I cant get anything sent or recieved, that goes for any of my machines not just the mill. dncxp has a port scan option that listens for any incoming data and tries to auto configure it hears nothing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

060314-1125 EST USA

sc_crasher:

I have no idea what the test plug you have is. What is inside the test plug and what are the internal connections? If it is simply jumper wires inside, then an ohmmeter can be used to determine the internal wiring without opening the plug.

What do you mean you put the test plug on your cable?
    What does this test plug do?
    Does it have LEDs?
    Does it have one 25 pin connector, or are there two?

If the test plug has only one connector, then I assume your test with your cable means you plugged the cable into the Fadal and connected the test plug to the far end of the cable. Is that so?

What does your test of the printer have to do with CNC communication? Is it that the printer is a serial printer? If the printer is a parallel printer, then it has nothing to do with serial communication.

Is the connector on your Fadal a male or female? I believe Fadal uses a male on the machine, whereas HAAS and Fanuc use a female on the machine.

Monkeywrench Technician DareBee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

It would appear that you need to convert your db25 to a db9 so that you can plug it into the serial port on your computer instead of the parallel port.
    An option to do this is to use a db25 to USB adapter - make sure it comes with driver software.

www.integratedmechanical.ca