Z Travel Parameters on a 88 HS control

Thread: Z Travel Parameters on a 88 HS control

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Z Travel Parameters on a 88 HS control

We have an old Fadal VMC-15 with a 88 HS controller at my school. Some how the parameters got erased and set back to the defaults which are incorrect. We got them all reset except now the Z axis will only move to +4.0 which is bad since we need at least +5.5 inches to clear for a tool change.

I've checked SETP and have everything set to what it should be. I know the spindle can travel further + in Z. I moved to +4.0, set that with SETZ, ran a cold start then could Z+ another 3.25 inches before I hit the emergency stop. I've spent a few hours reading Fadal manuals but I can't really find how to change the parameters of the Z axis. All I found was Survey, SV, but it didn't really explain what was going on with that parameter.

Anyone know whats going on?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When you are executing Cold Start, does the machine go to the Z location mark?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Right after we power it up...we have the CS position marked with brackets. The alignment with the turret is correct. The max + in Z is off so a parameter is stopping the spindle from moving up high enough to clear the tools when we tool change.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I went through something similar not that long ago. But for the life of me, I cannot remember the actual setting to change. I would know it if I see it. But I am not working with any Fadal machines at the moment, so can't go look. If you call Fadal (MAG), they can talk you though it. If you do not have them, you can get manuals at: FADAL MACHINE DOCUMENTATION

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What does the Survey for the Z axis show?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been digging through the manual as best as possible...i think I'll just have to keep searching.

Thanks for the tips TX!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The survey for Z is blank now. There is an offset slot and I've tried entering +2 and -2 to see if that would off set the travel. It didn't work. I also tried entering integers in each of the 20 slots to try and manually redefine Z, also didn't work. As my teachers told me...'"we're really getting into the weeds"

We're using x20, y16, z20 in the travel section of SETP. I've also tried using x20, y16, z28 in SETP...didn't work

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am probably thinking of the wrong screen. Make that phone call.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think I would be suspicious of the cold start location. The machine shouldn't need more than Z+ 4. for a tool change. Is it possible that the Z zero was set above the Z cold start position?
    Techman

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    Listen the Z axis cold start position is also the tool change position, You have only 4 inches above the tool change position ( Z axis cold start position ) before you run out of travel.
    Remember a VMC - 15 has inch pitch ballscrews, find the paramater in SETP and make sure it is set to inch pitch ballscrews , I think it is page 3 of SETP.
    Best Regards,
    Robert Mac Clellan
    FADAL Service Technician

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Z Travel Parameters on a 88 HS control

I know this is reviving a super old thread but we have old machines and i’m having the same issue. Lost params, set them to the values in the pendant and the spindle doesn’t raise high enough (4”) to execute a tool change. My ballscrew param is set to inches.
    Additionally, at the bottom limit of Z travel, how much of the Z way would be visible? I will have to go measure but I have about 6”-8” of way showing. The spindle head still has a decent amount of space to go. I can take pics in the morning.
    What is going on here?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NismoGT View Post
    I know this is reviving a super old thread but we have old machines and i’m having the same issue. Lost params, set them to the values in the pendant and the spindle doesn’t raise high enough (4”) to execute a tool change. My ballscrew param is set to inches.
    Additionally, at the bottom limit of Z travel, how much of the Z way would be visible? I will have to go measure but I have about 6”-8” of way showing. The spindle head still has a decent amount of space to go. I can take pics in the morning.
    What is going on here?
    Hello, did you find a solution? It's 2023 and I'm stuck here with the same issue after my VMC-15 lost its parameters.

Did the SETP procedure, all axis are 100% aligned at CS command, I've double and triple checked it, Z axis still not climbing enough to clear for a tool change

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Z Travel Parameters on a 88 HS control

...try looking in the cabinets of machine. The params should be written down somewhere inside.