Need Help! Help me add a 4th axis to my EZ-Router - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me add a 4th axis to my EZ-Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help me add a 4th axis to my EZ-Router

Driver has to have heatsink (plate area ) or it will get too hot and quit working. Drivers have a lot of PWM noise to the case (common) and could feedback to the logic level at the BoB if the grounding is different .

I am not sure I would attempt to add another driver and do changes to the MACH profile if you are not familiar with motor tuning and how MACH handles things like axis direction and other I/O signals. Doing a rotary axis is not as simple as it first looks and getting usable G-Code can get tricky unless your CAM program can handle it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help me add a 4th axis to my EZ-Router

Quote Originally Posted by Mootsman View Post
    Awerby - I like the suggestion of dropping the rotary table to take advantage of the z-axis travel. How would that work since my bed is supported on a frame of steel tubing? I would have to cut the frame and build a drop section in the table, correct?

[You could orient it so that it fit between the tubes; it wouldn't have as much length as if it went lengthwise, but you'd disrupt the structure a lot less.]

Do you recommend the sherline compared to the smaller 4th axis kits due to the difference in quality?

[I'm not sure what smaller kits you're referring to, but the Sherline rotary table is a high-quality tool, made in the USA, (optionally) comes with a mount for a 23-frame stepper, and is compatible with their range of chucks.]

Torchhead - I reached out to the manufacturer who confirmed that the s drive is the slave to help move the gantry. I'm pretty sure I could fit a 5th gecko drive on the side of the breakout board. It looks like there is room. What does "motor tuning" refer to?
    [Motor tuning is what you do in Mach to make sure the motors run smoothly and don't lose steps. Go into Config/Motor Tuning and pick an axis to tune. Press the up/down arrow keys to move the motor. The idea is to get it running with the highest velocity and acceleration it can handle reliably, without stuttering or making bad noises. When you hear it doing that (you will) back off the acceleration and velocity (acceleration will normally be about 10% of the max velocity) until it sounds good (a happy whirring noise is what you want to hear) when you move it back and forth. Then derate it another 10% or so as a safety margin, press Save Axis, and go on to the next one.]

Andrew Werby
    https://computersculpture.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12