Help! I deleted the firmware from my DSP controller

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! I deleted the firmware from my DSP controller

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help! I deleted the firmware from my DSP controller

Hi all,

I bought a Chinese CNC router wich I received a few days ago, it´s not an Excitech router, but as far as I´ve seen it´s identical. It came with a DSP controller, and the "UsbCam" driver and the Signtek program to be installed on a PC.

I installed the driver and then the program, but when I opened the program I found all the menus and options were in Chinese! I connected the DSP to the PC, and the red LED started flashing (which means the DSP was recognized by the program). Then I only had to find the way to change the program from Chinese to English, so I blindly clicked all the options. At some point, a progress bar appeared. I don´t know what i did but, after that, my DSP stopped working at all... Oh my good, I think I deleted the DSP firmware!

Now if I turn on the DSP, I can´t see the logo and the "Go to home?" question anymore. The screen and the red LED light up, but no matter what I do the screen is always blank (no text, no logo, nothing).

I asked about this to my vendor and they told me I could reset the DSP memory by pressing the OK button and switching on, but it didn´t work. I´m not sure if they will be able to give me a fast solution, and of course I don´t want to ship the DSP to China for repair because I´m eager to start using the router as soon as possible.

My guess is: if I was able to delete or overwrite the DSP memory from the Signtek program, I should also be able to restore it to its original settings. Am I wrong?

I know many of you have a DSP controller which is identical to mine. Do you have any suggestion to solve my problem?
    Could anyone send me the English version of the Signtek program?

I know there is an English version because Shannon posted an screenshot here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=56099&page=2
    But I can´t find the program to download anywhere.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Recovering the DSP Handle

Hi Cenicero, the only option for you is to send it back.

I am in the same boat, I tried to the update function using the SIGNTEK software. The same thing happened to me. For me, initially the screen got stuck on this line: "it is bootloading... please wait". From there on, if I tried updating anything else, SIGNTEK would tell me that that it could not update because the controller was running.

Then the manufacturer suggested I could press the "OK" button before plugging the DSP Handle into the computer and this would give me the option to reset the program. This got me to the Emergency screen,where I could format the drive, but it had no effect on repairing the firmware.

I was then informed that there are two editions for the DSP. If you started the DSP originally and it had "CNC ROUTER" as the initial logo, then this one needs to be sent back to China for repair, there is no way to do it through the SIGNTEK software.

Let this be a warning to anyone with the DSP controller. Don't mess with it, you will regret it if you do. I don't know why they have designed the DSP to make it so simple to stuff up the Firmware, but there you go..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help! I deleted the firmware from my DSP controller-bootloading-please-wait-jpg   Help! I deleted the firmware from my DSP controller-update-programe-p-update-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Andre09
    I was then informed that there are two editions for the DSP. If you started the DSP originally and it had "CNC ROUTER" as the initial logo, then this one needs to be sent back to China for repair, there is no way to do it through the SIGNTEK software.
    My DSP didn´t have "CNC ROUTER" as the initial logo, it showed the logo from my vendor instead, and then the text "Go to home?".
    Does this means my DSP could be restored throught the Signtek program?
    I sent you a PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The DSP program can be reinstalled using the signtek software, (been there done that) you also need the software file( it should be something like 'Setup(RZTH501)_E_200721'

Cenicero, can you pm me your email address and I will send you the English version of the host program. Its 6MB+

Thanks,

Shannon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Big S
    The DSP program can be reinstalled using the signtek software, (been there done that) you also need the software file( it should be something like 'Setup(RZTH501)_E_200721'
    Is that an executable file? Like 'Setup(RZTH501)_E_200721.exe'?

I have the following files:
    0501_1.0_Menu C.txt (1.91KB)
    0501_1.0_Menu E.txt (2.07KB)
    RZNC-D5416-1.2(zhb36)_init.NEWBIN2 (63.2KB)
    RZNC-D5416-1.2(zhb981)_normal.NEWBIN2 (172KB)
    zhbLabel501_C_v17.label (24.4KB)
    zhbLabel501_E_v17.label (29.0KB)

Maybe the file that you are talking about is one of those '.NEWBIN2'? Which one of them?

I sent you a PM with my email address.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi that is correct, The newbin file is the one you want, If you could email me the RZNC-D5416-1.2(zhb981)_normal.NEWBIN2 (172KB) file that would rock, My latest version is only zhb 662.

I have emailed you the signtek host program.

Thanks,

Shannon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Shannon, did you have a blank screen when yours went bad, along with the message that the "controller is running, cannot update it" on SIGNTEK ? I do not have the file "Setup(RZTH501)_E_200721", are you saying thats all I need to get it going again ?

I was told specifically that I would need to send it back ??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Andre09 View Post
    Hi Shannon, did you have a blank screen when yours went bad, along with the message that the "controller is running, cannot update it" on SIGNTEK ? I do not have the file "Setup(RZTH501)_E_200721", are you saying thats all I need to get it going again ?

I was told specifically that I would need to send it back ??
    I didn't have my DSP go bad, I was playing with the software update feature.
    I think one of the versions of the signtek had that message when trying to update the DSP. It's a while ago now and I can't quite remember exactly.

I think that file I posted above is one of the signtek versions. I have emailed cenicero one of the software versions. Hopefully it is the right one as i am not sure what one worked.

Pm me your email and I can send you the files.

Shannon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Shannon, I already installed the English version of the program that you sent me but I can´t still find the way to restore the DSP firmware.

If I go to the 'Update Programe' option below the 'Update' menu, it asks for a .newbin2 file.
    If I select the file 'RZNC-D5416-1.2(zhb981)_normal.NEWBIN2', I get this error: 'The selected file is not valid update file!'.

But if I select the file 'RZNC-D5416-1.2(zhb36)_init.NEWBIN2' I get no error and a window titled 'BIN file information' pops up with these data:
    -Auoter: zhb
    -Version: 2.1
    -SN: 36
    -Hardware: RZNC-D5416/3/
    -Program type: Initial program
    -Description:
    ...and two buttons: YES NO
    I click on YES and then it says "initial program updated!"

But I see no difference on the DSP.

I´ve also found two options below the 'Operations' menu which look interesting:
    'Backup Configure Data' and 'Restore Configure Data'.

If I click 'Restore Configure Data', it asks for a .dat file. But obviously I don´t have this file. Is this the option I have to use to restore the DSP firmware?
    In that case, how can I get the .dat file I need?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think the .dat file is one that you can save from your DSP, It saves all the step pulse settings and user changeable DSP settings. It doesn't save the inbuilt software. (I think )

The initial program seems to be a basic operating system that the DSP reverts to when it is booting up. The main program it seems to use it the one that oyu cant get to load (as yet)

I have sent you version 1.3 of the signtek software, hopefully that one works.

I will check both of them on my DSP when at my workshop today.

Shannon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I installed the version 1.3. I used the 'Update Program' option, selected the 'RZNC-D5416-1.2(zhb981)_normal.NEWBIN2' file and the message 'Normal program updated!' appeared, but again this had no effect at all on the DSP.

I have an idea: could you use the 'Backup Configure data' (below the 'Operations' menu) on your PC?
    It seems that option will create a backup of the information stored in the DSP (probably including the firmware?). When you generate the backup file (.dat), please send it to me. Then I´ll try to restore my DSP using your backup file. I don´t know if it will work, but I can´t think any other solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Big S
    I think the .dat file is one that you can save from your DSP, It saves all the step pulse settings and user changeable DSP settings. It doesn't save the inbuilt software. (I think )
    Probably you´re right, but my only hope is that you´re wrong
    Otherwise I think I´ll have to send my DSP for repair...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default No Luck With Any Other Versions of Software

I have surrendered to that the fact that the DSP has to go back to China now for sure. Nothing works.

This is a quote from the Manufacturer:
    What I ask is if when the DSP is well, it has the logo of "CNC ROUTER" or not. As we have two editions for such DSP. the technician told if it has the logo, you have to send the DSP back and we recover it for you. because this one if you update the wrong file inside, you can not re-update it back to lower edition.
    So this leads me to think that either Shannon did not delete his firmware as it seems that both Cenicero & I have, or that he has a slightly different version of the DSP Handle which responds better when things like this happen. Either way, it wont work if It doesn't get sent back, so off it goes...

Im grateful to have support from my supplier, given the recent posts from others on this forum.

Big Thanks to Shannon who assisted both & Cenicero in our attempts..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't ever delete my firmware, I had just been testing the software upgrade feature.
    The only thing I did wrong was that I didn't check that my CD version of the NEWBIN2 fie was the same as the one on my DSP. It turns out it was an older file. It still works fine and I have been using my machine for the last 18 months.
    It seems strange to me that the DSP can be corrupted so easily.

Shannon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Andre09, unfortunately I think you´re right.

I tried to use the backup file that Shannon sent me but it didn´t work. That file is only 3KB, so it must contain only user settings as he said.

However the problem seems to be that I can´t write any data into the DSP. I remember when I accidentally deleted the DSP memory, a progress bar popped up and it took at least 20-30 seconds to rewrite the memory. But now, when I click on the different options ('Update program', 'Restore Configure data', 'Download file'... ) it seems to ignore the command and no progress bar appears.

I´ve already run out of ideas so I also think I´ll have to send the DSP to China.

Thanks Shannon, at least we tried it!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The main reason I wanted to investigate the Update feature was to improve on some of the Chin-glish commands, so that they were more english friendly.

Hopefully that will still be possible when I get it back, without stuffing it up again. I'll make sure to ask someone here on the forum or the manufacturer before going back into the unknown...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You should be able to change the commands by editing the label or menu files. I will check on mine and find out which one you need to change. You can open both of these files in notepad to view them.

Always keep a backup of the original file and save your modified one with a different name.
    I will post my results.

Shannon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well you can edit the text details in the menu files, HOWEVER

***disclaimer*** if you REALLY has to do this you are on your own, there is no guarantee that you won't damage your DSP software or hardware. Don't blame me if anything goes wrong, I highly recommend you don't change anything. ***

Shannon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default hidden emergency menu

I had a blank DSP screen after I unplugged it accidentally while transferring a file from my pc

I managed to fix it, I found a hidden emergency menu

What you do is with no power to DSP hold down the green and yellow buttons

Connect the usb cable to supply power then release the buttons together

You should now have 2 options normal start and emergency program

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your suggestion nick965, but I´ve just done that and it doesn´t work.

Maybe it worked for you because you didn´t actually delete or overwrite the firmware, which is our case.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Emergency Menu

Hi Nick, thanks for the tip.

I was told this tip by the manufacturer and then was able to get into this emergency menu. I think you only need to Hold the "OK" button. Unfortunately we have done more damage than just unplugging the DSP at the wrong time..

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast