RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router. - Page 12

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.

This has always been one of my favorite threads here.

I like the note about checking the E Stops. Spent 30 minutes last week looking for something that turned out to be an E-Stop.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    This has always been one of my favorite threads here.

I like the note about checking the E Stops. Spent 30 minutes last week looking for something that turned out to be an E-Stop.
    Thanks for the appreciation!

I did it three times, rushing around trying to work out why on earth my machine wouldn't start up!! Once even getting the electrician in to have a look ( he lived next door so it wasnt a hassle) Making the label reminds me to check that first.

I also found out that while having the E-stops on the front on the gantry makes them really easy to see and to reach, it is really easy to bump them when loading a 4' x 8' sheet onto the machine from the front. Then it was back the old routine of why did my machine just shut itself off....

Shannon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I recently purchased a new Mod1.5 rack and pinion for my Y axis, I intend to replace all the rack on the machine eventually, but wanted to try one axis to see how much difference it made.

I cut the rack to length and drilled the holes for the bolts today, I made a custom step drill to drill the counterbores for the M4 cap screws (sorry no photo yet)

Shannon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc03994-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc03996-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc03998-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc03999-medium-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have the new rack and pinion installed on the Y zxis, however the accuracy doesnt seem to have improved much if at all. The new rack is a LOT smoother than the old one and is a known accuracy class. ( I will have to take some more photos... )

I did a length of test cuts across the Y axis with 45mm tabs sticking out that I could measure, Checking the width of the 45mm wide tabs the variation came out up to 45mm +/- 0.125mm in size, which is pretty much the same as I had before

I suspect the 3/8" L series toothed belts arent really that accurate so I will replace those and the pulleys next and see if that improves anything. The machine still works fine for what I use it for but I would like better accuracy in the size of objects cut in different spots. +/- 0.05mm would make me happy
    I have checked the movement with a dial guage and the repeatability is around +/- 0.01mm over short distances. If I cut two shapes in the same spot on the machine they do tend to be within a few hundredths of a mm to each other. BUT if I cut two side by side they will be slightly different sizes.

I also calculated the belt ratios etc and worked out that a full step from the stepper motor should give me 0.092mm travel on the axis, I have it set to 10 microsteps at the Yako drive. Even with the linearity of the microsteps arent perfect, it should still be better than what I am seeing.

If anyone has any other idea of things to check let me know.

Shannon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cut up some alloy plate today, its 1.25" thick 2024 aluminium, cuts really well and is solid too!

Shannon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04010-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04012-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04016-medium-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Good to see you posting again !!

James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cabnet636 View Post
    Good to see you posting again !!
    Thanks!! I hadn't really done many mods to my machine for ages as its been a good workhorse for the past few years so time to treat it to some upgrades..

I was a bit slow on remembering to post stuff here for a start

Shannon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a couple of pictures of the Y axis rack installed. Its slightly smaller than the previous rack and I fitted it so that the teeth sit out over the edge of the aluminium. Makes it easier to clean any crud out of the teeth. I need to make a thin cover strip out of aluminium at some stage to cover the old bolt holes.

I also turned up a couple new pinions out of the gear stock I have for the X axis, the current ones are getting worn... Might as well use it up as I will replace the Y axis rack at some point.

Shannon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04018-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04017-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04020-medium-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I purchased some new HTD 8M belts yesterday to replace the sloppy L series ones on my machine. The small issue is that I now have to make some pulleys to suit...

I cut some test gears out of 3mm glass edge acrylic from the dxf files available for download from the belt manufacturer, the fit was pretty average... so I reduced the diameter of the large pulley by 0.4mm and thickened up the teeth by 0.5mm but left the bottoms of teeth at the same diameter. Much better now, fits really well when under tension. The smaller pulley needed to be sightly bigger on the outside with the tooth profile very similar to the larger pulley.. The small clear acrylic gear is just holding the black gears for the photo

I am considering making the large gear out of plastic with an alumium center hub and the smaller pinion out of alumium.

I also took the second stepper drive off the X axis and changed the pulley, I machined the shaft for a second output side bearing at the same time. I hardened the gear once I had the hole drilled for its pin. Seems that I hadnt been getting the metal hot enough when hardening it but this time I used a magnet to test the tempurature when red hot and it turned out a lot harder than my previous attempts

Shannon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04023-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04026-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04028-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04032-medium-jpg  

RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04034-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04036-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04040-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04041-medium-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had an interesting discussion with the sales guy at the place I brought the belts. He said that I couldnt cut the pulleys with my machine due to the inaccuracy and I replied that I was planning on indexing them while cncing just a few teeth at a time. However it got me thinking

The big pulley is close to 90mm radius and the gear that goes on the rack is 15mm radius. This works out to 6:1 ratio in diameter. What this means is that if the belt teeth locations happen to be the very limits of the current machine tolerance (+/- 0.125mm) then the maximun deviation at the gear is still only 1/6th of that amount (+/- 0.021mm) . In practice the large number of teeth engaged will tend towards reducing the radial position error anyway. This means I should be able to cut the large belt pulley with my cnc and still expect a gain in accuracy. The acrylic test pulleys do seem to be a massive improvment on the slop in the pulleys/belt that are currently on the machine. I even tried tape on the stepper pulley teeth out to locate the belt better but it didnt seem to change anything. (picture in the previous post)

I need to think if this will also work for the small pinion given that its has far fewer teeth engaged and is of a very small diameter I may have to index it for best results.

I will give it a try and see if the accuracy improves somewhat..

Shannon.,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well it turns out I can get the accuracy down to +/- 0.10mm using the machine to make its own pulleys, repeatability is in the region of 0.01mm so it would be good to get the accuracy down to +/-0.05mm. Still thinking about how to go about that one!

Today I removed the bottom linear rail from the Y axis and reinstalled it, It was missing three bolts but I doubt that they affected things too much as they were on the side of the axis that gets the least amount of use. I used a hone stone to lightly clean up the area where the rail sits as there were some small burrs. I chased the threads with a tap, cleaned all the bolts and added some to replace the missing ones too. I clamped the rail up against the lip and tightened each bolt, working from the middle outwards.

All the caps now sit flat as a bonus too

Shannon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04043-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04045-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04046-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04048-medium-jpg  

RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04050-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04051-medium-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Continuing on with my new belts and pulleys.....

Turns out that the lighter acrylic pulleys were allowing resonance to appear at low speeds. It wasnt bad enough to stall the machine or anything but did make some interestting wavy cuts occasionally. I removed most of the resonance by turning the teeth off the old steel pulleys on the lathe and fitting the new acrylic teeth to them. I superglued the acrylic onto the steel as the torque levels are quite low and seems to hold just fine. The extra mass of the steel pulley was dampening out quite a lot of vibration at around 400mm min on the X axis and slightly higher 450mm/min on the Y axis. There is still some vibration there but I might make a damper to get rid of all of it. I think the vibration has always been there but since it is well under any speeds that I cut at I hadnt noticed it untill the lighter pulleys.

I also modified the smaller stepper motor pulley for a better fit, I had to reduce the diameter by a further 0.4mm and widened the teeth slightly. Fits the belts much better now. I eventually want to make the small pulleys in aluminium but the plastic is working fine.

Shannon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04064-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04065-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04066-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04067-medium-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Today I finished the stepper dampers that I have been aiming to do for some time. They seem to work quite well and work at very slow speeds where there was quite a lot of vibration there is now a rattle as the dampers smooth things out. I will also try changing the microstep setting to hopefully get even smoother motion.

I cast some 20mm diameter lead slugs a few days ago and machined them to length on the CNC, it chucked lead bits everywhere! I cut the damper halves in clear acrylic as a test and then realised I had some 12mm thick polyproplylene offcuts lying around, so I cut the final versions out of that.

It is a bit hard to make the CNC cut its own parts when it is in pieces, so I had to use the jigsaw to cut the hole in the aluminium to clear the damper. The stepper motors in my machine are only single shaft so the damper have to go on top of the small drive pulley on the stepper shaft. Seems to work fine.

Shannon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04087-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04090-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04091-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04094-medium-jpg  

RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04095-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04103-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04105-medium-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Turns out the dampers stick out of the sides of the pulley boxes a few mm. This isnt so much an issue on the two X-axis drives as the covers have plenty of room under them. On the Y-axis it is a different story as the damper would stick into the Y-axis drivwe mounting plate.

I had to think a little how to cut a pocket without a wowrking CNC to make it, I ende up using a MDF pattern and a trim router with a 6mm Z bit. Took forever to cut the pocket out and makes me appreciate how much easier it is to let the CNC do the work.The pocket is way deeper than needed but I wanted to allow some extra clearance in case something needs to be changed.

Shannon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04092-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04100-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04102-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04108-medium-jpg  

RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04109-medium-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A box and a long heavy tube arrived on Friday all the way from the USA, lets open them up and see whats inside.....

Some new helical pinions and a whole lot of helical rack from Automation4less! Very shiney

I chucked some aluminium tube in the lathe and bored out the inside for a really close fit to the pinions, then drilled and bored the centers out to 16mm with a boring bar.

I hope to get all the new rack mounted in the next few weeks if work doesnt get in the way of tinkering.

I am also working on a set of reduction gearboxes to increase the accuracy of my cnc while still using the larger helical pinions, more to come...

Shannon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04121-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04123-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04127-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04130-medium-jpg  

RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04131-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04133-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04135-medium-jpg   RemainCNC NZ Excitech 1530 router.-dsc04136-medium-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: #233: and that is why you need multiple CNC's :-)

I've cnc routet cutting machine and dsp 501. I need in making diagrams transfering it to dsp and then operating cnc router. Your instructions will be much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-J700M using Tapatalk

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112