Peltier Fridge project launching on Indiegogo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peltier Fridge project launching on Indiegogo

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Peltier Fridge project launching on Indiegogo

On Thursday I will begin a long journey to open source every household appliance. I am beginning with a refrigerator, because it is the most costly home appliance (aside from washer/dryer). My half-fridge sized prototype is available now:
    The peltier fridge - SolidWorks, Other - 3D CAD model - GrabCAD

I am raising funds to:
    -Build 2 prototypes, Half-fridge & Full-fridge
    -Launch a Website Resource for Open Source Home Appliances

I welcome collaborators! Please E-mail me with your skills:
    PeltierColdBox@Gmail.com

Look forward to the launch of my campaign. Please contribute if you can.

Fundraiser (Active 1/24): http://www.indiegogo.com/Peltier
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PeltierFridge
    Design Animation:
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/peltierfridge

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I like the general idea, but aren't peltier plates generally extremely inefficient when compared to traditional compressor-based cooling units?

Gough Custom - http://goughcustom.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi! Thank you for your interest. On a per unit basis compressors are more efficient than peltier transducers, however I am speaking about overall energy use. Most refrigerators use several 100w of electricity, while this design uses under 100w. The vent system allows me to make the most use of the peltier, in a certain sense increasing the efficiency above that of a compressor.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The best way to reduce energy consumption of a fridge (or hot water heater) is insulation. The better the insulation is, the less the compressor needs to run and so it will consume less energy. You can also save energy by minimizing the empty space in the refrigerator. Every time you open the door, all the cold air rushes out and room air takes it's place. The more of the volume you have filled (even if it is just empty milk jugs) the less cold air you will lose and the less cooling the compressor will need to do. A peltier device is never going to be as efficient as a compressor of similar cooling capacity. There is a reason why they are not used for household refrigeration.

Good Luck
    Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

"The best way to reduce energy consumption of a fridge (or hot water heater) is insulation."

Indeed, the better the insulation, especially when used in conjunction with principles of thermal density (The ability for the inner shell to stay cold), the less work the cooling device will have to do. This is why I encourage you to look at my design. The design is extremely efficient. The rapid recycling of all the contained air over a small super-cooled surface allows the internal temperature reach fridge temperatures (24-32F) in just a few short minutes.

Compressors are dangerous, heavy and unnecessary. You do not need the thermal efficiency of a compressor for a refrigerator. Yes there is a reason that locally available refrigerators do not use Peltiers, but it is not because they cannot do the job of refrigeration.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dangerous how? The refrigerant? The EPA has made it so you can almost drink most refrigerants (exaggeration but they are quite "non-toxic").

Heavy, yes. Do you care if your fridge weighs 100 lbs or 105 lbs? I do not.

Unnecessary? Seems to fill the need quite well.

Don't get me wrong, a peltier can work just fine, it is solid state so may be more reliable, it can be run at partial power, etc.

If you want someone to give you their hard earned money, you need a convincing argument. I have seen no concrete evidence that this fridge is any better than a normal one in terms of cost and efficiency.

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Modern Refrigerant is R-134A. The EPA (An agency with a dismal record for safety standards) designated this refrigerant is safe for the ozone layer. The idea that refrigerant is even slightly safe for humans to be exposed to is ridiculous, even if you were using hyperbole.

"1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane itself has an LD50 (lethal concentration for 50% of subjects) in rats of 1,500 g/m³"
    Very Non-Toxic relative to other refrigerants, but very lethal in and of itself.

There is a large difference between a 70lb refrigerator, as you can see in the Frigidaire below, and my model which will be between 25 & 30 lbs.

I very much appreciate you raising your concerns. You're helping me immensely in seeing where I need to improve my presentation.

Downloads
    Uploads

in a certain sense increasing the efficiency above that of a compressor.
    Yes there is a reason that locally available refrigerators do not use Peltiers, but it is not because they cannot do the job of refrigeration.

The above are quotes from two of your previous post. Can you expand on what you mean by "in a certain sense". Also what is the reason(s) locally available refrigerators do not use Peltiers.

I agree with other, generally it is a good idea, but for the American market I don't see a small refrigerator being used as the main unit in a household.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just like the cool wood grain look.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Hello, thank you so much for your critiques and comments.

"Can you expand on what you mean by 'in a certain sense'."

Yes, my assertion (and please bear in mind that this is conceptual & I must build the prototype to cement my claims) is that the rigid insulation and design which will allow for no air or temperature leaks enables the peltier to do far less work than a compressor in a typical refrigerator and its insulation.

"Also what is the reason(s) locally available refrigerators do not use Peltiers."

The major refrigerator brands are owned by much larger companies (for example frigidaire owned by electrolux) that have significant funds and infrastructure invested in the manufacture of compressors. Even if it were cheaper to switch to producing peltiers, they make more return on their investment by shipping fridges with the higher priced compressors. They also make a return on the higher electric usage. General Electric sells lots of fridges.

If I were using the peltier in a radiant cooling method, it would be very inefficient. However, I have designed a high flow cooling system that processes all of the air very rapidly.

"I agree with other, generally it is a good idea, but for the American market I don't see a small refrigerator being used as the main unit in a household."

I should be clear, I do not see this as a marketable product. However, I feel a pressing need for open source versions of the major home appliances. If this were to be a product it would be after I have this and the full-sized version fully fleshed out. Then I would be able to evaluate shipping charges which would be the real determining factor of whether or not I could turn a profit on them. I still feel it would require other open source appliances that could be sold under a brand.
    The goal here is not to design a product, but a large and expanding set of resources that would let a person build a fridge (and other appliances in the future) via many methods. Meaning a variety of refrigerator: schematics, DXF files(for CNC), STL's (for 3d printed parts), video guides on putting it together, printable drafts of all pieces, code for controlling the systems. Etc. etc.

"I just like the cool wood grain look."

Well Thank You

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For me personally, I would be interested in a few aspects:

a) Build / design to use in a mini van or SUV

b) Run on car battery voltage range (also able to accept the power spikes and actual car battery voltage range) Also, this allows emergency use.

c) Actually able to maintain a relatively constant temperature
    (many of these are designed as "constant difference in temperature to the outside" rather than constant temperature)

d) Keep food cold (as in 30 F) even when inside of a hot, parked vehicle. Temperatures in there can reach 130 F

e) Temperature uniformity is not that critical

f) If it can keep ice from melting, even if that is only 1 lb, that is really nice.

h) Ability to shape / size it to the end use needs. (sometimes, there just is not room to fit things.

i) Ideally not pull much more than amps (60 ish watts) average, or it will kill a car battery in one night.

The wood grain side of it - I am not a big fan of it, but that is what paint is for - personalizing.

There are some medical grade peltier refrigerators / coolers like this for transporting organs, but they are quite expensive.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Harryn, thank you for your interest.

Since the system runs on 12v it would be a simple process to install the proper circuit protection, and car charger plug/terminals for use in a car. I am putting this on my bullet points for circuit design.
    I believe that the very rapid processing of air inside the fridge will allow for refrigeration even when very hot air such as 130F is let in. Of course this will be part of the experimenting process. I'll also make sure to do the ice test .
    The design is very modular, so resizing the box wouldn't be very difficult. However, as it stands it would involve a bit of modelling time.
    The Peltier device I have my eyes on is 60 watts in and of itself. The entire fridge will consume under 100w.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast