Europe 3D

Thread: 3D

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 3D

Want to turn this bitmap into a 3D cutting file to mill using Aspire. Totally new to this so any help greatly appreciated.3D-welsh_dragon-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D-welsh_dragon-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 3D

I think you will find it very,very difficult to convert a 2D image to a clean 3D model.Theoretically,you could trace each and every segment and apply a cross section curve of your choice,then use a sweep 2 rails type of function to create a surface.You would then have to make sure all the surfaces had normals facing in the correct direction.

I know very little about Aspire,but do have some familiarity with it's Vcarve sibling and that will only deal with 3D if the model is in .stl form.If you can get to a clean .stl file its actually quite an easy job from that point onwards.

If you have the good fortune to be using LinuxCNC,it may be possible to use one of it's features to get the job done.It will take an image and allow you to input some parameters that will create a 3D toolpath without the use of any other software.There is a range of other software that may do a similar job,or part of it but I haven't explored it because I haven't needed to.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    I think you will find it very,very difficult to convert a 2D image to a clean 3D model.Theoretically,you could trace each and every segment and apply a cross section curve of your choice,then use a sweep 2 rails type of function to create a surface.You would then have to make sure all the surfaces had normals facing in the correct direction.

I know very little about Aspire,but do have some familiarity with it's Vcarve sibling and that will only deal with 3D if the model is in .stl form.If you can get to a clean .stl file its actually quite an easy job from that point onwards.

If you have the good fortune to be using LinuxCNC,it may be possible to use one of it's features to get the job done.It will take an image and allow you to input some parameters that will create a 3D toolpath without the use of any other software.There is a range of other software that may do a similar job,or part of it but I haven't explored it because I haven't needed to.
    Thanks for the reply, got it sorted now. You can load it into Aspire as a vector and model it in there. Still learning but seems like a fantastic bit of software.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post

Thanks for the reply, got it sorted now. You can load it into Aspire as a vector and model it in there. Still learning but seems like a fantastic bit of software.

Downloads
    Uploads

quite old thread. Surprisingly, no discussion.
    What would I do is manual work mainly. First of all, import the picture into Rhinoceros. Create surface decorated with guidance curves. Create solid, if needed. Then open the model with Sculptris and do the sculpting using the guidance curves . Open again with Rhinoceros, correct the model in order to prepare for smooth machining and the model is ready. CAM it and cut/ print/ melt - whatever ...
    On the other hand, there are some CAD tools allowing to automate the biggest part of this task. Up to discussion