Comparison between uhpc and epoxy granite mixed?

Thread: Comparison between uhpc and epoxy granite mixed?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Comparison between uhpc and epoxy granite mixed?

Are there any (simple) comparisons between different epoxy granite and concrete mixes out there? I'm looking at building a small budget cnc and like the price and availability of concrete.
    My plan (likely to change) would be to build a steel skeleton and then cast a concrete frame around it. I'm currently looking at cement grout, mixed with fibers and other additives. I would run a series of steel cables under tension and possibly add a bit of rebar to add strength to the concrete. It is my understanding the combination of steel frame, fibers, additives and cables under tension should greatly strengthen the concrete mix.
    My biggest question is how different types of concrete and mixes compare to epoxy granite and each other. I have found plenty of videos/posts comparing different epoxy granite recipes but I haven't had any luck finding similar information on concrete.

My question is how do different concrete mixes compare? Are there any posts or videos comparing the two? Are there any posts or videos comparing different concrete mixes with each other? I have found plenty of information describing the compression strength of concrete and other properties but to be honest most of these numbers don't make a lot of sense to me ????. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Comparison between uhpc and epoxy granite mixed?

There a numerous threads on this forum about this stuff... start there :-)

I've cast mine using epoxy( https://www.cnczone.com/forums/verti...268-forum.html)...

My quick summarization: Concrete uses water as a catalyst for the curing process, some people are concerned with this due to rust(expansion, cracking etc). I would reason that UHPC would be more prone to cracking than epoxy, but i have no hard evidence to substansiate this. The curing will take longer with concrete than with epoxy, if recall correctly the curing of concrete never "really" stops, it keeps settling for years, but with a diminishing amount. I believe that the generel consensus is that you need to let the concrete cure for at least one month before taking moulds etc apart, but then you'll be safe since moment will be so small it would have any practical effect. Epoxy is a lot faster(hours/days) and then it stops reacting after that. I believe that a UHPC solution is generally cheaper than epoxy one, but not by a huge margin. Epoxy has some environmental concerns as long has it hasn't cured(gloves, eye protection etc), while UHPC is a lot easier to work with some a safety perspective.

I was advised against using an internal steel structure. If you see me thread i actually started my design with it, but later moved away from that solution due to discussions in the thread. However, today i'm not so sure it is as "black and white" as in the thread. IF i was to build big bulky structures, i would omit the internal steel skeleton, BUT if was to optimize for the thinest possible structure(e.g. in the cross-table of my machine) i would use an internal steel skeleton like you describe.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Comparison between uhpc and epoxy granite mixed?

Concrete as in building stuff with portland cement?

Regular concrete takes years to cure if ever and it moves and drinks water making it a bad choice for machine bases. That being said im building a base for a woodrouter using concrete to keep cost down, it will probably work cutting non critical parts.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk