Shattered tempered glass instead of gravel

Thread: Shattered tempered glass instead of gravel

Default Shattered tempered glass instead of gravel

Hi

I have hard time sourcing the necessary grades of sand and gravel for my very simple tabletop EG build (especially as I don´t drive and live in a city far from this sort of industry), and was thinking this morning if it would be possible to use glass instead? There is a car window repair shop right next to my client so I could probably get the glass from there.

My main consern is the smoothness of the stuff, maybe epoxy won´t stick sufficiently on it..? Then of course the size difference is not the optimum neither.

But otherwise, glass is very rigid material.

Would be cool to make a (semi)transparent machine base!

-PropellerHat

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Shattered tempered glass instead of gravel

The material would probably be hard enough. But tempered glass shatters into fairly uniform bits. That would leave a lot of space to fill around each one. The ideal granite mixture contains a mixture of coarse to medium and fine particles so the smaller ones fill in the gaps between the larger ones and make a basically solid mass that just requires a little epoxy to stabilize it.

Andrew Werby
    https://computersculpture.com/

Default Re: Shattered tempered glass instead of gravel

Hi

Was the site down globally or how come I couldn´t load it for many days...

Yeah , The pieces are very similar in size indeed. I found some pool filter "Glass sand" from local hardware store that could fit in the voids left by the old windshields, but there maybe should still be some other sized stuff on top of those 2.

Anyway, I have finally managed to get all the gravel and sand I needed for my build, and washed and dried it too, and today it looks like it is time for the pour!

I´ve been planning and postponing this day for 4 years

Shattered tempered glass instead of gravel-mould-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shattered tempered glass instead of gravel-mould-jpg