I need advice on this design. EG mill head with spindle. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need advice on this design. EG mill head with spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I need advice on this design. EG mill head with spindle.

I need advice on this design. EG mill head with spindle.-possible-casting-v2-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I may end up making what I want to cast, just out of plate. I guess i could well the structure together then get someone to bore the spindle hole. I wonder how much that would cost.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Hezz View Post
    Fill it full of expanding foam instead of EG to reduce mass. It will still damp vibrations pretty well.
    Can you explain?
    This is the first time I read that you can dampen machine vibrations with light weight foam

Sven http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/320812-aluminium-1250x1250x250-router.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by WolfmansBrother View Post
    I need advice on this design. EG mill head with spindle.-possible-casting-v2-jpg
    That seems to be a lot better than the first design. But I would leave the center rib you had in there also and make it bigger with some holes in it to lock in the fill. It's still quite a lot of mass out there and your success with this may depend on how stiff the main machine is. IF the gantry or columns are large and heavy it may work well enough for non critical applications.

Do you have a picture or a model of your mill?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVee View Post
    Can you explain?
    This is the first time I read that you can dampen machine vibrations with light weight foam
    Internal cavities can be damped with sticky expanding foam. It dos not work as well as EG because it does not add much mass. But in some applications it could perform better than EG. IF the machine is not very stiff and well damped adding a high mass material in the milling head can cause all kinds of vibrational problems because the rest of the machine is not stiff enough to handle the vibration of a large
    mass. In a system like this a stiff but low mass damping system might perform better.

Downloads
    Uploads

I may end up making what I want to cast, just out of plate. I guess i could well the structure together then get someone to bore the spindle hole. I wonder how much that would cost.
    Are you trying to make this from home without the use of a manual mill. IF you have a drill press you may be able to make all the parts bolt together and avoid the warping that welding brings. You could make the large hole with a hole saw. It does not have to be a tight fit. What is important is that the way mounting plate and the bottom of the spindle nose plate are perpendicular to each other. You need a small surface plate or very flat setup table to do this. You could cast the fill with the spindle in place coated with a thick mold release compound so it could be removed. Or cast it permanently in place.

Downloads
    Uploads

You need a small surface plate or very flat setup table to do this. You could cast the fill with the spindle in place coated with a thick mold release compound so it could be removed. Or cast it permanently in place.
    I was doing everything from home, but I recently got cleared at my local makerspace to use their metal machine tools. I now have access to some surface plates, mill, cnc mill and a plethora of other tooling when I am "certified" by them.

I am not going to cast the spindle permanently in place. I may turn down some uhmw or hpde and cast that in. The epoxy shouldn't adhere to those plastics, then mount the spindle in that.

What is important is that the way mounting plate and the bottom of the spindle nose plate are perpendicular to each other.
    I am concerned about this. I have no idea how to make this thing super perpendicular.

Downloads
    Uploads

That seems to be a lot better than the first design. But I would leave the center rib you had in there also and make it bigger with some holes in it to lock in the fill. It's still quite a lot of mass out there and your success with this may depend on how stiff the main machine is. IF the gantry or columns are large and heavy it may work well enough for non critical applications.

Do you have a picture or a model of your mill?
    I need advice on this design. EG mill head with spindle.-possible-casting-v9-jpg

for scale, that spindle is about 240mm. the X axis is about 600mm.

I need advice on this design. EG mill head with spindle.-eg-cnc-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

for scale, that spindle is about 240mm. the X axis is about 600mm.

That mill looks a little more robust than I originally envisioned. I think it will work for a small hobby machine. One thing I would do is mount the motor for the spindle on some riser in that square cutout section on the top. This will put the mass of the motor closer to the column and if it's filled with EG it will make a good vibration dampening mount for the motor. You may also wish to consider beefing up the base and the bottom of the vertical column to add some mass and stiffness. It need not take up much extra space but it will improve the machining quality.

If you have access to some surface plates and a mill you can get it pretty square. You can machine the parts very even and square and then use bolt together construction and then pour the EG in there.

Downloads
    Uploads

You may also wish to consider beefing up the base and the bottom of the vertical column to add some mass and stiffness. It need not take up much extra space but it will improve the machining quality.
    I can always make it thicker fairly easily. Changing the shape will be more difficult though as it is really easy to bolt that mold together rigidly. That way when I vibrate the mold it won't shift.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12