Need Help! Gravograph VXM Control Help?????

Thread: Gravograph VXM Control Help?????

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Gravograph VXM Control Help?????

Hi New to the forum but I,ve been reading posts now and then and now need to get started and could do with some help and advice.

Well here goes:

I have a Gravograph VXM engraver machine is in good mechanical condition. I know its previous history of 14 years light use as I was responsible for its mechanical maintenance.
    I bought this machine when the company moved and closed its UK production facility.
    I wish to use the machine for light engraving but I have a problem in that the Computer control is no longer working Why? I have no idea!

Question is would I be able to plug in a standard windows based software package and PC and be able to get it working, or would I need to use a new stepper control board etc and do away with the exisiting machine electronics etc.?
    Any help direction would be welcome.
    Thanks,

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Daz,

From the work I have done one these so far it looks like it may be possible that rewiring the input will be all that is needed. I am in the middle of converting a Vanguard New Hermes 7000 and I have done a 3000 already.
    They were normally run under the Gravograph software.

See the recent posts in this section.

I am running my 3000 machine on Mach3 software on a PC.

Old computers have a nasty habit of dying when the CMOS battery dies, you loose the info in your cmos, some of the batteries will also leak out corrosives that can attack parts of the motherboard rendering it useless.

Arnie

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by aminear View Post
    Daz,

From the work I have done one these so far it looks like it may be possible that rewiring the input will be all that is needed. I am in the middle of converting a Vanguard New Hermes 7000 and I have done a 3000 already.
    They were normally run under the Gravograph software.

See the recent posts in this section.

I am running my 3000 machine on Mach3 software on a PC.

Old computers have a nasty habit of dying when the CMOS battery dies, you loose the info in your cmos, some of the batteries will also leak out corrosives that can attack parts of the motherboard rendering it useless.

Arnie
    Arnie, Thanks for the reply. Yeah I,ve now had a look at the other threads and will follow them also as they do look similar. I will try later to post some pics of what I have here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Daz, and all,

This is Phil, Arnie is working on my control system, and I am playing around with mach3 as I wait to have a machine hooked up to it. I get a message when loading mach says "contact Brian Buffer Error" I assume that means Brian Baker but I am not sure how or if I should contact him. If anyone knows what BUFFER ERROR means and correction procedure to follow I would welcome the help. By the why I bought GraveGraph 98 software for the Vanguard 7000. It is DOS purely, but if someone wants to try it on their new Hermes machine just for kicksor testing, I will loan it to you as I will not be using it. If you read some of the threads here in engraving machines you can find out why I am not going to use it.
    Phil,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Did you get anywhere with the Gravograph VXM?

Hi - I saw your post about running an old Gravograph VXM from a PC, and wondered whether you had managed to do this, or if you are making progress. We have a 17 year-old machine that still works fine, but it would be much better if it could be run from a PC.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Terry,

I am running my vanguard 3400 straight from the parallel port on my pc. It is a matter of rewiring and some jumpering. It works great now. I do 3d, using vectric cut 3d, vcarve pro, photo vcarve, running Mach3 as the control program.

For anyone who has done the wiring mod I detailed you will also need to jumper the opto isolators on the ep3400, they are too slow, I was losing steps. Just clipping the opto's leads and running a jumper across them cured the lost steps.

Arnie

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile VXM upgrade

There are various ways of upgrading your VXM to run off of a PC or interface box. Depending on the software you chose to create the job and the price that you wish to pay will determine the best route to take. You don't have to do away with your top electronics board if this is still working ok, just use this as a power rack. I have helped to upgrade many of the Gravograph VX range over the years. If you want more details please let me know.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm running a couple of VX machines with the old vx computer, but the HD in this unit is on its way out. I want to come up with a way of keeping these machines running, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Gravograph upgrade for ATE

Priority!! - If your hard drives are failing save any important jobs you have on this to floppy disc.

Hard drive VX controller can be deconverted back to floppy only with just a set of PROMS, but obviously this makes your machine slower to program.

A few alternatives:

Gravograph do interface boxes - expensive!

We do a conversion unit - see website www.microwhite.co.uk

You can get software to convert an old PC into an interface box - please contact me direct if you wish for more details

All of the above work off a variety of design software i.e Engravelab, Gravostyle, Vectric, VCarve, Newing-Hall JLS

Mervyn

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 486 Motherboards

We still supply 486 motherboard assemblies for some Gravograph/New Hermes machines. http://www.esapcsolutions.com/ecom/m...ache-p-81.html

You can see the bare board above or call Larry at +1 561-226-1309 for more info.

Tony
    Electronic Solutions Associates

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello I have a hermes Vanguard 7000. I would like to use it with mach 3 i purchased this breakout board:
    http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...products_id=46
    I am wondering if anyone has a wireing diagram for this machine so I can install this board. Please email me with any info.
    Thanks, Adam
    tampajerseyhut@hotmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default gravograph vx engraver

Hi everyone
    I have a very old vx engraver (about 15 years I think) The whole system is functional, but the floppy drive has given up the ghost. I tried replacing it with a standard floppy drive but without success. I t seems that this a special type of drive. Does anyone have any ideas. I noticed that a couple of guys mentioned hard drives in relation to VX machines. My machine does not have a HD. I would like to be able to add one later if I manage to cet the floppy problem sorted out.
    Any advice will be appreciated.
    thanks........Louis-l

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Floppy drive has to be a 720kb drive, configured in a specific way. If you can get a TEAC that's the name of the drive, model no. FD235NF. I have the pin outs for this drive if you can source it.

Pantograph Services in UK stock these disc drives if you can't source nearer to home approx price 100.00GBP + carriage.

As for the hard drive these are very difficult to get hold of in UK, the drive was last used on BBC model B computers, and is a type of SCUSI drive. Needs an interface board and a set of PROMS to convert from floppy to hard drive. Good luck!!

Better option would be to eliminate the VX controller and use an interface box to engrave directly off of an HPGL file. Gravograph supply these - expensive!
    Microwhite supply ME3s, many people do interface software if you look on the web.

If you need more help please get back in touch

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mdwuk View Post
    Floppy drive has to be a 720kb drive, configured in a specific way. If you can get a TEAC that's the name of the drive, model no. FD235NF. I have the pin outs for this drive if you can source it.

Pantograph Services in UK stock these disc drives if you can't source nearer to home approx price 100.00GBP + carriage.

As for the hard drive these are very difficult to get hold of in UK, the drive was last used on BBC model B computers, and is a type of SCUSI drive. Needs an interface board and a set of PROMS to convert from floppy to hard drive. Good luck!!

Better option would be to eliminate the VX controller and use an interface box to engrave directly off of an HPGL file. Gravograph supply these - expensive!
    Microwhite supply ME3s, many people do interface software if you look on the web.

If you need more help please get back in touch
    Hi
    Sorry about the slow response. Been away for a time.
    Thanks for the info. Will try to source drive locally.
    The pin-out info would be appreciated, if you could email to
    llambert@bigpond.net.au
    regards ....Louis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi.
    I'm looking for a keyboard for a Gravograph VXM, can anybody help.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Floppy for sale

Quote Originally Posted by LOUIS-L View Post
    Hi everyone
    I have a very old vx engraver (about 15 years I think) The whole system is functional, but the floppy drive has given up the ghost. I tried replacing it with a standard floppy drive but without success. I t seems that this a special type of drive. Does anyone have any ideas. I noticed that a couple of guys mentioned hard drives in relation to VX machines. My machine does not have a HD. I would like to be able to add one later if I manage to cet the floppy problem sorted out.
    Any advice will be appreciated.
    thanks........Louis-l

I have a floppy for sale $325.00 304-261-4063

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I have vx 89 machine. Please tell me, how much will cost minimum upgrading.

There are various ways of upgrading your VXM to run off of a PC or interface box. Depending on the software you chose to create the job and the price that you wish to pay will determine the best route to take. You don't have to do away with your top electronics board if this is still working ok, just use this as a power rack. I have helped to upgrade many of the Gravograph VX range over the years. If you want more details please let me know.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Gravograph upgrade for ATE

Priority!! - If your hard drives are failing save any important jobs you have on this to floppy disc.

Hard drive VX controller can be deconverted back to floppy only with just a set of PROMS, but obviously this makes your machine slower to program.

A few alternatives:

Gravograph do interface boxes - expensive!

We do a conversion unit - see website www.microwhite.co.uk

You can get software to convert an old PC into an interface box - please contact me direct if you wish for more details

All of the above work off a variety of design software i.e Engravelab, Gravostyle, Vectric, VCarve, Newing-Hall JLS

Mervyn
    Dear Mervyn,

please let me know how to convert an old PC into an interface box. Thank you very much and best regards.

Klaus

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I have vx 89 machine. Please tell me, how much will cost minimum upgrading.

manilal can you give any info on converting these for pc control. i have mach3 and vectric software.

thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Gravograph VXM Control Help?????

Sorry for posting to an old thread, but there is a solution for controlling Gravograph VXM with Arduino and Grbl, if anybody is still looking for it.
    https://inkoovintagecomputing.wordpr...-with-arduino/

This is very affordable, you need just an Arduino and some connectors and wiring. Control from PC via USB is possible with this setup. You need to be able to generate g-code from your software, I've been doing PCB milling with KiCad -> FlatCAM -> bCNC toolchain, but if you want to engrave text, it's possible with e.g. F-engrave. These are all open source solutions and I run them on Linux, but there's more to choose from on the commercial side.