New Hermes Vanguard 3400 . video card type???

Thread: New Hermes Vanguard 3400 . video card type???

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Hermes Vanguard 3400 . video card type???

hi i just got a very old new hermes vanguard 3400 engraver and need to reset the time date due to bad cmos.battery .which requires hooking up a monitor and keyboard to cahnge does anyone know if it requires a specific video card or can any isa video card be used..i have a very old 8bit isa 9pin video card i was going to try

and also when powered up with a monitor what will show on screen?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Hermes Vanguard 3400 . video card type???

Do you Mean the controller box? I think you need a computer with a parallel port. The controller has a display on the front the says V.xxx when it boots. The controller is hooked up to a computer by parallel port. the controller translates the Hewlett Packert Graphics Language (HPGL) the computer software sends into the machine movements of the engraver. the engraver doesn't care what time the controller is set.

Downloads
    Uploads

No you are not understanding...i need somrone who owns a vsnguard 3400.. they will know...the controller box has a pc motherboard inside with isa slots..the controller wont power on with incorrect date

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby5041 View Post
    No you are not understanding...i need somrone who owns a vsnguard 3400.. they will know...the controller box has a pc motherboard inside with isa slots..the controller wont power on with incorrect date
    I ran one for 25 years

Downloads
    Uploads

well im sorry but this has nothing to do with an external pc..im referring to the controller box and getting into bios to change time date on the controller box....i just need to know what type of video card it needs..the controller box has a 286 or 386 mb in it,.,you connect a keyboard to the controller and a monitor and u can get into bios..currently the controller will not power on with incorrect time and date

Downloads
    Uploads

We had a 386 in our controller. the motherboard did have ISA slots in it. My doubt is that the bios is priority written, and doesn't support video. You never know if the bios was hacked from a regular PC. It has a very basic purpose driven operating system. you could upgrade the operating system through the host computer. We didn't have a keyboard connector in our controller. Only had the arrow keypad on the front. That is why I question what you have.

I know we originally had a 486 controller, but the decision was made to trade it for the one we got. Maybe yours is a newer 486.

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks i do not know what type motherboard is in my vanguard 3400 controller..EP module all i know is it was made in 1995 and the cmos battery went bad so the controller will not power on.. the time needs to be changed so in order to do that need to hook up a keyboard and mount an ISA compa5tible video card and hook up a monitor in orfder to cahnge time and date

i have an 8bit video card i inserted im waiting for an adapter from 15pin to 9 pin VGA.....im just trying to find out specifically why type of isa video card will work

it has to support video that is the only way you can cahnge time and date for the controller.and service the controller for various reasons ..there is an AT keyboard connector on mine too..i believe .

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe our controller was older by a year or two so you might have a 486 controller. As far as the ISA video card I would think any would work if it is going to work. Your card must be a cga version with the need of the adapter.
    please post how you come out.

Downloads
    Uploads

hi jschmitt..unfortunately failed

im looking for someeone who specifically has experience with vanguard 3400 that has hooked up a monitor to the controller directly to get into service mode

my ep module has a 386 motherboard in it according to a sticker on the board...

i connected an old ibm 8088 8bit isa video card to the motherboard and connected an old at keyobard and connected a vga monitor using a 15pin to 9pin adapter...powered on the controller and just fan comes on...

no post beep nothing..and nothing shows on the control module except black blocks..(which i was told is due to incorrect date time within control module due to bad cmos battery). and monitor does not see a signal

any help would be appreciated..otherwise its going to scrap yard.

Downloads
    Uploads

When got blocks it sometimes works to reseat the RAM and cards. The last time we got blocks reseating the cards and RAM failed.

UOTE=Shelby5041;2383286]hi jschmitt..unfortunately failed

im looking for someeone who specifically has experience with vanguard 3400 that has hooked up a monitor to the controller directly to get into service mode

i connected an old ibm 8088 8bit isa video card to the motherboard and connected an old at keyobard and connected a vga monitor using a 15pin to 9pin adapter...powered on the controller and just fan comes on...

no post beep nothing..and nothing shows on the control module except black blocks..(which i was told is due to incorrect date time within control module due to bad cmos battery). and monitor does not see a signal

any help would be appreciated..otherwise its going to scrap yard.[/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Ill wait until someone that has experirnce getting into bios
    According to some people incorrect time date will cause no boot up

OTE=jschmitt;2383296]When got blocks it sometimes works to reseat the RAM and cards. The last time we got blocks reseating the cards and RAM failed.

UOTE=Shelby5041;2383286]hi jschmitt..unfortunately failed

any help would be appreciated..otherwise its going to scrap yard.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I've rejiggered my EP module many times. Most recently by adding an antique 486 MB, and had to cut sections out of the EP case to make it fit. The important thing to have is a motherboard with an ISA slot for the big motor interface card. It can be the original EP motherboard, or a "Goodwill special". The procedure to fix your EP module is this: 1) plug in a video card and keyboard to the PC motherboard you plan to use. 2) boot the motherboard without the engraver I/O driver board inserted. You want to get the motherboard to come up as a PC first. Make sure the CMOS battery is good. 3) Press the "enter setup" key while the motherboard is booting. Some manufactures use "DEL", some "1", some "s". I think the original EP board was "DEL", but it's been so long since it's passing... 4) Navigate down through the setup menus until you find the date & time setup. Put in the current date & time. You don't really have to do this, but it makes it feel like you did something to help it . Some motherboard BIOSs have a "stop on all errors" setting in there. This is what is really causing your issue. If you have the option of setting this to "ignore all errors", take it. If you have this option, and do not set it, it may look for a keyboard and video card plugged in & still fail every time you turn on the EP. When done, hit "ESC", and tell it to save your settings. You can opt for "fast boot" on some boards, that makes the EP come up faster. Feel free to play with the settings, you can always revert to the basic parameters by unplugging the battery and starting over. 5) plug in the motor driver card, and you should be good to go again. You can remove the video card, if you wish, but I just leave it in. Of course you should do all this board and battery adding with the EP unplugged. The critical part of the whole EP module is that custom motor driver card. I haven't had to repair one of those yet. Happy Fixing!