Need Help! Mimaki ME-500 Data transfer

Thread: Mimaki ME-500 Data transfer

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mimaki ME-500 Data transfer

Hi, I'm not new to CNC zone, I've read through countless postings here but have never posted anything myself. I recently purchased an older Mimaki engraver/plotter. I've contacted Mimaki in Japan, and in the USA. I've also contacted several Mimaki dealers. It seems that it's past it support date by a large margin, so the only thing I received from anyone was an operation manual which I already have.

My issue it sending data to the machine from my PC. I'm using a simple DNC program which sets the com, baud rate, parity, stop bits, and handshake settings. I'm using a 9-25 null modem serial cable to go from my PC to the machine. The machine is compatible with .nc and is also compatible with hp-gl. I have vcarve pro from vectric and it has a post processor that will output both formats of code. But when I go to send the file from the DNC program to the machine I get zero response.

Any help in trying to solve how to send file to the engraver would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Travis

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mimaki ME-500 Data transfer

Hi Travis,

Got any hit on this?
    I have a ME-300 that I'm trying to put to work and would love to find some puzzle pieces too.

I was able to make the machine move by using the Generic HP-GL post processor in VCarve and using the checkbox in "Output direct to machine".
    I never heard of DNC program before but in short I added a new printer and set the parameters you listed above manually.
    I'm sure I can find it if you need the info.

I could only have it to work at one set height though (Z height is set in the controller) because HP-GL only give the command PD and PU to drive the Z axis.
    (PD and PU mean Pen Down and Pen Up)
    So with PD the machine goes to the set height and goes back up with PU... Let's say it's a bit limiting.

I tried guessing a couple things in the command code to control the Z height but apart from the standard PD and PU nothing worked so far.
    I wish I could find information on MGL-iic3 command so I could finish writing the post processor for it!
    Every search I did seem to bring me back the numerous Mimaki flyers of their various machines.
    Their machines support the command code that no one seem to know about!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

the Mimaki implementation of HPGL ("MGL-IIC3") has some extensions to control the Z-axis:

use !PZ to set the Z-axis.With one parameter you set the down-position, with two parameters you can set down and up position. (units are always in 0.01mm)

so e.g.
    !PZ-200;
    sets the down postion to -2mm on the next PD command.

!PZ without parameters restores the up/down postitions to the values entered on the panel.

other commands:
    !VZ (set moving speed vo Z axis)
    !MC (set spindle rotation)
    VS (set X/Y spindle speed in mm/s)

hope that helps!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi boingboing,

Thank you so much for the reply!

I did not have the time to integrate and test it yet but I will let you know as soon as I do.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by get_f8 View Post
    Hi boingboing,

Thank you so much for the reply!

I did not have the time to integrate and test it yet but I will let you know as soon as I do.
    Hello,
    I also have this machine.
    Did you manage to write a driver for it?

Thanks in advance,
    Martin