Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.

Thread: Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.

Hi,

This is my first post here so a quick intro (skip to the text in bold if you want to get straight to the fun parts).

I have been machining moulds and dies for most of my life, from age 15-20 I was a machine operator for my dad running some extremely old pantographs, lathes and other equipment (all manually operated). A few years later I was introduced to cnc machines by one of my dad's customers and offered a job. Since then I have designed for and operated many different machines ranging from 3 and 4 axis cnc (Kuhlmann, Prokomat, Roland, gravograph, with software ranging from dos to windows based) and have also worked on several laser engravers (c02 and yag), 3d scanners both probe and laser (NextEngine, Roland) as well as vinyl printers and cutters and many other machines in between.

Not only have I operated these machines I have also been responsible for their repairs and maintenance so my knowledge and experience with them should help me with this project.

I was recently given an old Champion H-Square 2d Engraver.

I have no software or manuals for the machine, in fact I don't even have a pc with serial port to plug it into.

The website that I keep getting referred to is also extremely outdated, none of the download links work and sending them an email results in a permanent failure ( Index )

First prize for me right now would be to find a way of doing a test cut before I even bother with changing motors and controllers, who knows, there may even be some software out there that would allow me to do some xyz cutting with the machine as is but I doubt that, hence this post.

I will update as I go along and maybe someone will find this handy in future, I have seen these machines selling online for $25 so it may make an excellent base for a little "cheap" diy project.

If anyone else has any experience please shout, I would live some input or feedback.

I pulled this machine off the top rack in a store room where it has been standing uncovered and practically untouched for the last 10 years.

It had a thin layer of cutting oil and dust protecting it from rusting and moisture

"Z" Stepper Motor.

Machine and controller labels.

I gave it a quick wipe down with a bit of degreaser to get rid of the excess muck and asked a friend to bring me the machine as it would not fit in my car.
    I took the controller and cables as well as the cutters and other accessories that were still around home with me.

Yesterday the rest of it arrived and I put it together.

I manually turned the x and y screw by hand to check that all the bearings are in place and nothing had seized.
    The z has very very little tension when there is no power to the motor so that can easily be moved up and down.

After having the z axis grind into the top a few times while I was trying to get the machine to initialise I found that the Z's limit switch had come loose and that the bit of brass sheeting being used to press the limit switch is suffering from metal fatigue.
    Once that was fixed the machine travelled home perfectly.

The spindle also turns on and off without a hitch.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161104_095441-jpg   Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161104_095458-jpg   Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161104_095506-jpg   Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161107_070915-jpg  

Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161103_154114-jpg   Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161107_070945-jpg   Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161107_070936-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.

Plans for this machine:
    If anyone has any suggestions at all please shout. This is the first time I have attempted to rebuild a machine of this nature in this manner.
    I will add more photos of the machine as it is at the moment tonight or tomorrow.

1. Try and find compatible (and affordable for testing only) software and drivers so as to try and make it run as is so as to test all screws, limit switches etc.

2. Find appropriate 4 or 5 axis controllers/kit to replace the current set with.
    I am thinking of using this kit:
    Stepper Motor 3 Axis CNC controller Kit NEMA 23
    Package Contents:

3 X M335 Microstepping Driver

3 X Stepper Motor NEMA 23

1 X 5 Axis Breakout Board

1 X 24V 15A Power Supply

1 X LPT Parallel Cable

1 X USB Cable

1 X CD Driver

Actual parts in kit.

I want to use as much of the current parts as I can so will not be buying more limit switches and so on for now.
    I wish I could keep the current stepper motors in place but it seems it would be cheaper to replace them for my intentions.

3. Lower the working table as much as I can and raise either the X, Y or both rails if at all possible so as to increase my Z working area.

4. Do extensive cut tests in both 2d and 3d, cut pyramids, domes, planed angles etc and make sure everything is running perfectly. Modify whatever needs it.

5. Cut some plates to fit the new parts into the current controller box (there is plenty space inside it) for the new breakout board, stepper motor drivers, power supply and whatever else needs it. Modify and improve airflow and ventilation so that the new parts don't produce excess heat.

6. At this point I may or may not decide to add an A Axis going down the right side of the working table (I may even cut or mill myself an area for the motor and working space to fit into but want to make it removable in case I want to engrave larger things on the entire working table).

7. Once the machine is complete, installed and tested I want to tear the whole machine down, do maintenance on all the screws, bearings, moving parts etc.

8. While all the plates and frame are separated from the electronics and mechanics I want to respray them and possibly personalise them

9. Final step is to put the whole thing together and hopefully get years of play time out of it.

I want to mostly cut plastics and wood but would also like to be able to cut into softer metals as well. Will the NEMA 23 motors handle this?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-3-axissed2-600x600-jpg   Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-3-axissed-600x600-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some pictures of the controller. Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161107_190355-jpgChampion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161107_190426-jpgChampion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161107_190702-jpg

The current spindle motor.

Main reason I'll keep the rest of the controller, it's 110v and where I come from everything is 220v.

I'll put a push to break switch at the top limit of the Z axis to turn it off after a cut is complete.

Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161107_191034-jpg

Served by a Droid

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Started getting a look at the insides tonight.

Most of the torx screws on the machine have been stripped by Allen keys and had locktite applied to the threads, makes opening any panel a serious mission. I have ended up resorting to a mix between a dremel and a drill.
    Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161107_193628-jpg

I'll end up having to do a bit of cosmetic work once the machine is ready.

I managed to get the Y motor panel off and started with the X panel but family life and work takes priority so I only have around 30 minutes a day during the week for this project.

Biggest stepper of the 3.
    Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161108_190700-jpg
    Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161108_190709-jpg

Here are some pictures of the x from the bottom of the machine.

Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161108_192146-jpg
    Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161108_192138-jpg
    Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161108_192129-jpg

I'm really starting to think I should see if I can find a stepper motor driver and controller that can run these.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Finally, some random pictures of one of the 6mm shaft cutters that came with the machine.
    Excuse the filthy outside table, it's been rained on and my pet chicken gets mud everywhere.
    Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161108_193805-jpgChampion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161108_193826-jpgChampion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161108_193840-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I tried getting it to run via engrave-lab trial but no luck.
    Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161112_194831-jpg

Old crt monitor I've had for years. Obviously not part of the system.

Decided that enough is enough and started stripping it down so that I can give it a good wash, clean and sand all the panels and get everything ready to be repainted.

I started by marking all the connectors then getting dismantling whatever I can.

Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161113_100927-jpg

Finally getting a look at the trails and screws, they need a good cleanup but everything still looks sound.

Some of the bolts are imperial so I'll borrow a set from work and get the X and y motor off tomorrow. I'll be replacing all the torx and imperial nuts and bolts with metric.

Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161113_103421-jpg
    Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161113_112336-jpg
    Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161113_104852-jpg

Someone got here before me. Another bolt to drill out.
    Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161113_112327-jpg

Everything laid out and marked as it came off the machine.
    Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161113_130347-jpg
    Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161113_130356-jpg

The Y Stepper is the same as the Z Stepper. Tiny little thing. I may end up replacing it and keeping it as a spare for the Z.
    Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161113_111736-jpg

Anyway, back to normal chores.

Served by a Droid

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Stripped all the old power supplies out of the controller yesterday, will use the 220v to 110v converter for the spindle that came with the machine and may use the Stepper motors supply for powering those (still getting verification that it won't blow the new breakout board and drivers).

Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-img-20161114-wa0002-jpg

Served by a Droid

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bits of the electronics I will likely reuse (limit switches and induction motor starting cap not in here).

Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-motors-png
    Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-electronics-png

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quick update.

Just about finished stripping the frame down to the bone for a very good cleaning and likely painting.

I am considering leaving the painting for now, stripping it again after 6 months or so of use, upgrading the spindle then powder coating it.

Found a few bearings, many many bolts and screws that need replacement as well as several holes that need re-threading or helicoils but other than that all good.

It's a lovely solid cast frame and with new electronics as well as some future modifications to the screws and rails it will last another decade.

Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161124_193259-jpg

Oh i found a reasonably priced nema 23 kit that I'll be buying, I'll use these motors for something else.

Served by a Droid

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have taken the machine completely apart.
    I used around 1l of degreaser and a high pressure sprayer on the frame and anything else that could get wet.
    I then drilled and rethreaded some holes on the y axis used to adjust bearing pressure on the rails and have started putting it back together again.

X and y now both move freely with absolutely zero play

I'm not touching it again till I have my motors in hand so I have covered it up and am patiently waiting.

Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20161128_195945-jpg

Served by a Droid

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah these machines are solid!

I'm doing similar on an old one (more actively as of late).

I'm trying tinyg and pibot. I strongly suspect tinyg will work best but it's just coming next week.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer2 View Post
    Yeah these machines are solid!

I'm doing similar on an old one (more actively as of late).

I'm trying tinyg and pibot. I strongly suspect tinyg will work best but it's just coming next week.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
    I got the mechanics working but till now not had time for the electronics. Going to get to that very soon at least. Should have my evening's free from next week.

Note: Tapatalk and SwiftKey used for above.

Downloads
    Uploads

Those were also sold as a New Hermes Vanguard

Some parts are available here: NEW HERMES VANGUARD 1219 PARTS : Quality One Engraving, Your #1 Source for Engravers and Engraving!

I have had one sitting for about 6 years now. I should get around to doing something with it...

bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finally got a few hours.

What the case looks like right now.

Champion H-Square CH1912 As frame for 3 axis machine.-20170330_190454-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not posted here for a while but here is some of the progress. Still lots to do but it's all coming together nicely now.

Controller is now ready and waiting. I have started with the wiring, reassembling and improving on the Z axis assembly and am waiting for my flexible shaft couplings to arrive.

I have mach 3 behaving properly etc as well

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Current state of machine:

Been waiting for months for my flexible shaft couplings to arrive, they finally did on Monday.

So now motors are in place and I'm busy doing the wiring from machine to controller.

Hopefully I'll do my first test cuts by the weekend.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First run.

Was very late last night so one terrible video after quickly wiring up the steppers.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Life got in the way and I ended up leaving this project on the bench for months.

I finally got back into it a few weeks back.

I swapped some linear bearings out for new ones, modified motor tuning, changed the Z and x flexible shafts for solid ones (too much play in the design for flexible shafts) and numerous other things.

I'm nearly at the point where I am happy with the result.

Some videos of it running below. Just 2d cuts but it is capable of 3d (I'll upload it anyone is at all interested).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh the result of that cut.

It's around 33mm total

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Playing