chemical engraving?

Thread: chemical engraving?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default chemical engraving?

i have a weird problem i cant seem to solve and maybe someone here can help...i work for an embelishment studio and we have lots of different machine , we have several laser cutters and a cnc milling machine, vinyl plotters , 4d printer etc...but i have been getting a lot of a specific job that none of the machine i have is ideal...its cutting complex , small shapes from thin sheet metal..(like 24 guage max but often thinner) no steel just brass, aluminum and copper.

all of our lasers are c02 lasers with a max power of 100watts so they are useless, the milling machine is a roland mdx40a , its a great machine but just not ideal for metal work, it cuts metal but its incredibly slow and if i were to do these jobs on that machine, it will tie it up all day and ill get nothing else cut on it.

a typical one of these jobs is a 1 inch or smaller complex metal shape cut from these soft metals...i will load the design and cut as many out of a 6"x6" piece of brass or copper or aluminum as i can...with my milling machine it takes all day to cut through a single job.

we have a budget for another machine if one exists but little space,,, the ideal solution would be a waterjet or metal cutting laser but all these are too expensive and way too large,

id like to find a better solution to this problem using what i have or at the most buy a new machine or equipment that wont break the bank and that can fit on my desk.

i have been wondering that since i have several laser cutters, if the solution couldnt maybe include laser cutting or using a vinyl plotter to create a mask and then using a chemical etching solution to eat through the thin sheet metal?... anyone know if this would work and where i could find out more information?

if not maybe some advice on another way to get these pieces cut? like i said, its very think sheet metal but the shapes are fairly complex...my milling machine cant really mill steel so making dies isnt an option.