Need a micro heavy duty engraver

Thread: Need a micro heavy duty engraver

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need a micro heavy duty engraver

Hello,
    My Haas VF2 spends one third of it's time engraving. It is a waste of the machine's time, but after attempting to use a mini mill, I'm still looking for an alternative to increase my production. I need 20 IPM cutting with rapids of at least 300 IPM. It needs to be able to cut these rates in 1018 and also 4130 hardened to Rockwell 32.
    The table X and Y movements can be as small as 3" x 3", but to be safe 6" x 6" would be better. I'd like to find a machine with a 2 ft x 2 ft. footprint that I can mount to a heavy duty table. I can make the table solid enough and bolted to the floor so that vibration is not a problem.
    The next step is that I will need an automatic parts changer that handles pieces up to 2-1/2" x 6" x .375 thick.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, any help is appreciated. I don't have time in my schedule to build from scratch, although if anyone knows of components that might work I'd consider that. If I can find a gantry style setup it would be easier to use an automated parts changer.
    Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default More info

The spindle speed needs to be around 6000 rpm, with variable Z feedrates. I normally use a Z clearance of .1" and .025" feedplane with an entry feedrate of 10. IPM and rapid retracts.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Hellooo! If you are still around, I would be interested to here what you ended up buying?

Downloads
    Uploads

In December I bought a Tormach PNC 1100 (tormach.com) The top spindle speed is only 5140 rpm, but I'm downfeeding at 3.5 IPM and engraving at 10-12 IPM in 1018 steel, cutting about .007" deep. They make a high speed spindle that bolts up and runs 10K rpm +, and I may try that for another $400. I'd like to feed at 20 IPM and definitely need more rpm to do that. On the Haas at 7500 rpm, I get by running 20 IPM, but the tips seemed to chip out on the back side, etc. I finally called Micro and they said to slow the down feed rate. Even on the slower rpm Tormach slowing the downfeed does seem to stop the tool chipping, so more rpm is my next option. I used coolant on the Haas, but the Tormach is open. I planned to use a mister that I have in the shop, but it runs all day just fine with no coolant at the current rpm and I'll try the 10K spindle without coolant also. The Tormach runs Mach 3 software from a laptop and does fine. Tormach sells their processor for $700, but my old, cheap laptop is doing just fine. For $8K the Tormach was a quick payback because it let my Haas produce 50% more parts per day.