CNC system for pantograph

Thread: CNC system for pantograph

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC system for pantograph

I have a Gorton P1-2 pantograph that I would like to attach a CNC X-Y copy table to which will eliminate the cumbersome and expensive hard brass copy and provide unlimited font choices and custom artwork. There have been a few commercial units available over the years such as Famco, but they were expensive and are no longer available. I've Looked at several CNC stepper "complete 3 axis systems" on eBay for between $250 and $900 that use Mach 3 software and a PC, and wonder if anyone here has any advice or recommendations. I will have to come up with 12 and 24+" ball screws, ball ways, and machine necessary hardware. I have Engraver Pro 2000 software that I hope will work. The third axis (Z) may be simplified to an up/down short stroke electric or air actuator to operate the spring loaded quill lever or floating spindle to it's stop. There's not much room for a stepper setup there. I've also considered finding a used or damaged inexpensive CNC engraving machine or router and use what I can from that, but that might be trouble.

Any advice, recommendations, or leads greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC system for pantograph

It's been a long wait, but a miracle happened. Accidentally found a complete operating Famco/Lars pantograph CNC retrofit for $350 on craigslist. New owner purchased a Gorton P1-2 CNC pantograph from an estate sale and had no interest in the retrofit. Saves a ton of research, design, and labor, and best of all, money.

Woody

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC system for pantograph

Woody, i just got my famco pantograph to the shop a week ago.. how did you make out with the cnc retrofit ? im looking to do the same thing and i was thinking of purchasing a small cnc laser engraver to mess around with to try and mate it with the famco..

lmk thanks,

joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello. I was wondering how you liked your cnc gorton? I have 1 and was looking for a second machine. Would you be interested in selling?
    Longshot