Emco F1 rebuild - modern drivers and steppers

Thread: Emco F1 rebuild - modern drivers and steppers

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Emco F1 rebuild - modern drivers and steppers

I had my F1 for almost two years, and I havent used it at all. Its in working condition, with old steppers and old control box, but I am making a modern control box, and retrofitting it all (the original control has a WellMill upgrade, and it will be for sale along with steppers once I m done)
    I got some PRC BOB for the task (I have no clue whats the designation, nor the documentation for it) and I managed to connect the drivers and steppers to it - that was the easy part.
    I also got a HX-SXPWM-A Pulse-Width DC motor speed controller Digital AC180V-260V DC180V
    and I have little info on how to connect it to the BOB, and to the F1 DC motor.
    I ll attach the photos I have with explanations provided by the sellers - and I hope someone more experienced could step in with suggestions on how to do it

the speed controller had these explanation

"Features
    suit for the power of DC motor less than 1000w.
    Suit for the current of your dc motor less than 6A
    1, the input power supply (VAC): AC90-260V 50 / 60Hz (for global voltage)
    2, the output armature voltage range (VDC): DC180
    the output armature current range (A): 8A (If the working current over 8A, the motor will stop work)
    If the current is too big need to increase the heat
    4, the output excitation voltage range (VDC): 100/200 (default full-bridge rectifier, which is 0.9 times the input voltage)

5, the output excitation current range (A): 1A
    6, the working frequency: 16 KHz
    7, given signal mode (V / mA): default potentiometer, 0-5V, 0-10V, 4-20mA, PWM, touchtone
    8, enable control mode (EN): switch
    9, soft start (acceleration time adjustment range) (S): 0-10S (default 2 seconds)
    10, soft stop (deceleration time adjustment range) (S): 0-10S (default 2 seconds)
    11, double loop PI regulation (voltage and current) control is more reliable
    12, IR torque compensation range: 0-100% (default 0)
    13, overcurrent range: 0 setpoint (default 8A)
    14, overcurrent mode: stop output and indication (display code E1)
    15, short-circuit protection: stop output and indication (display code E0)
    16, overheat protection: power tube temperature exceeds 100 ° off the output and the indication (display code E2)
    17, built-in digital display module can display real-time operating voltage with current
    18. Dimensions: Length 140mm × 98mm × height 38mm width
    19, Connection: terminal type (convenient)

Working Environment
    1, ambient air temperature: -10 ~ 40 ° C
    2, the air relative humidity of 85% or less, well-ventilated
    3, installed in a well-ventilated, no severe impact, no vibration, no explosion dangerous media and no case of conductive metal particles

Instruction manual
    PWM signal requirements:
    1, the default PWM signal level is 5V, the signal frequency 1KHZ above, with a load capacity of more than 0.5MA.

2,5V level without resistors in series with PWM input port,
    10V PWM level from 0-10V input port or serial port 10K resistor in the PWM input,
    12V level 3.9K resistor string from 0-10V input port or serial port 13.7K PWM input resistors,
    24V level string 27K resistor from 0-10V input port or serial port 16.8K resistor PWM input"

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emco F1 rebuild - modern drivers and steppers-new-bob-jpg   Emco F1 rebuild - modern drivers and steppers-speed-controller-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Emco F1 rebuild - modern drivers and steppers

Small update, for anyone trying to do the same or similar - the motor speed controller/power source is easy to wire with the existing F1 DC motor - it works with nothing special to it. Still have to check on 0-10V analogue speed control capability, but that will have to wait for me to wire the rest up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted on how you're coming along this project!

Downloads
    Uploads

I got my mill all set up an working, with spindle motor control with 0-10V analogue output, and I am still getting familiar with third axis other problems arises though - I have to get limit switches, touch probe, to figure out how to seal the bottom of the housing and have some sort of a coolant sprayer set up...

Downloads
    Uploads

can You write some more about how to control spindle? i'm trying to figure it in vmc100 (probably spindle control would be similar) and don't want to make to much mess.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am not certain what type of the motor is running the main spindle on your VMC mill, so my experience isnt that useful. I connected the spindle motor (DC one, standard on F1 mills) to the HX-SXPWM-A Pulse-Width DC motor speed controller directly, and the speed controller to the 5axis bob (0-10v), configured it properly in Mach3 and voila, it works!
    I just tested it before hooking it up to the system with built in potentiometer on the power/speed controller (with a risk to burn it, but it worked).

Downloads
    Uploads

In my machine there is also simple DC motor controlled by a a card equipped with double Darlington's bridge on power side, so it's PWM surently. It has also a feedback on spindle speed and pos from encoder connected directly to a spindle controller. Only thing I don't know is where to connect start signal and +-10V for control.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am sorry but I cant tell you that. If no one here with experience in this type of controllers chims in with advice that is certain, I would advise you to visit yahoo emco f1 group, there will be someone who can help you out. also, it would be vise to post a picture or two, that might help

Downloads
    Uploads

for basic on/off i used solid state AC relay triggered by the spindle output. i have to manually adjust my speeds. i like steyrd's solution as well. if you're on a budget, my solution costs $9.