Need Help! Emco control

Thread: Emco control

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Emco control

Hello, I am looking into buying an old Emco Lathe and I'm in a dilemma between 2 models.

The EMCOTURN 342 (Sinumerik controller) and the EMCOTURN 242 (equipped with TM-02 controller). I use Solidworks+SolidCAM for CAD/CAM and I'm wondering how each of these machines can be programmed to run G-code. If anyone has any idea or uses one of these controllers I would be more than thankful if you could help me out with some questions.

1. Is the G-code transferable via Ethernet / RS-232 / RS-422 / USB / Floppy?
    2. Is the TM-02 controller even capable of handling G-code from software? I saw somewhere that the controller has little memory so can't handle larger codes.

If you feel very helpful you can PM me, or reply here, I'll probably have some other questions as well.

Cheers guys and thanks ahead. I'm new to the forum, hopefully l'll have a great experience with the community.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Emco control

I think siemens control is more popular and would be easier to find postprocessors for it.
    Emco TM2 is equipped with RS232 protocol and floppy disks so programs can be transferred, but it can get it's humors sometimes.
    Both of these controls are very old and slow, so except for specific codes and cycles there are not many differences.

Downloads
    Uploads

What about the siemens, what can I use to transfers programs? USB? I need a reliable and relatively easy way to transfer programs, without too much hassle. Also, what do you mean it can get it's humors? It bugs out? Doesn't want to transfer?

Downloads
    Uploads

Siemens also has a RS232 port, I haven't seen any with floppy drive or other ports, USB is used in controls made after 2000 so probably not EMCO242.
    The old RS232 transmitors are quite sensitive for any electrical noises cause these few years ago it wasn't such a problem as nowadays so it sometimes brake without particular reason.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for not responding. Hectic week at work.

Thank you for your input. I'm just wondering if I get either of these machines how likely is it that I will have to do a retrofit (I don't know if it's the right term) with some other controller, such as LinuxCNC or Mach3.

Thank you very much again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dont retrofit the Siemens to any crappy mach or linuxcnc, those are ment for toys and tinkering. Sinumerkik very good and rugged controller.
    I use MicroDNC for my sinumerik 810D Emco VMC300 to drip feed and to load programs in to the controller.
    Amazing machines and superb aftersales even for the 20 years old machines.
    Did get all the updates and parameter backups direct from Emco Europe just by asking.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello I Have a old EMCO VMC200 with Emcotronic TM02 controller and i need information to connect with RS232 from computer.

Cables pinout and procedure and if is possible make drepfeed.

Can help-me? Tanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have U checked manual? It is available online.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello. The manual dont have information about pinout DB9 to DB25 or USB-A to DB25.