Another emcoturn 220P retrofit

Thread: Another emcoturn 220P retrofit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Another emcoturn 220P retrofit

First of all, greetings to all! This is my first post here and i decided to show some work, that i am doing on a Emcoturn 220P lathe. It's a long story behind this lathe, it's been sitting still in my garage for almost 2 years, but in January i finally started to work on it. It's a slow project, as i have a lot of work (self employed) and not a lot of free time when you also count in two little kids

So this project will be done a bit different... I am not a fan of any PC based system for automation at all, so i decided for a standalone chinese controller. The machine will be sort of a testing mule for this controller, so maybe later i can also convert some other, bigger machines.
    First plan was just to make an electronic/electric retrofit, without touching the mechanics. But when i started to take it apart, i just couldn't leave it like that, so i decided to take it apart completely...

So let's start with some pictures of the machine during disassembly...

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Another emcoturn 220P retrofit

Old electronics removed, leaving an empty shell... New electronics and electrics will be mounted in there

So what will be used to drive it? As i said, i am not a fan of PC based systems, not that they are bad, it's just that i have some sort of bad experiences in terms of long term maintenance...
    I decided to try a standalone chinese controller. I bought Tomatech TAC2002T, and to my surprise after connecting it on the bench, it looks quite promising. Of course it has some minor chinglish related problems, but overall it is OK. Had to modify some of the PLC program and probably when the machine will be assembled, some problems can show...

For the axis drives i decided to go with the cheap closed loop steppers from stepperonline, can allways change to servo later if i will not be satisfied. Motors are NEMA 34 and rated to 6Nm.

Here is all the mess on the table, waiting for the install

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Another emcoturn 220P retrofit

Pretty much everything disassembled and cleaned

Ballscrews cleaned and reasembled, with new bearings and new balls. Ballscrews and nuts are in pretty good condition, i think that this machine did not run a lot. Slight wear on a part of Z axis spindle, but nothing critical...

¸

What do you guys think about the turret? It doesn't seem to be worn out, is this clearance factory?
    Following measurements are µm, as you can see it is about -15 to -10 µm

Housing is about +20 to +30µm