EMCO 320 RPC sizing

Thread: EMCO 320 RPC sizing

Default EMCO 320 RPC sizing

We will be getting in an EMCO 320. However, I only have single-phase and a bit confused as to the sizing of an RPC. The docs that I've seen says it need 10 kva, which is quite a lot.. The spindle motor says about a 5HP @ 50% duty cycle. American Rotary said I need a their AD20 model (10HP, ~7.5kw). Anyone out there running on an RPC who can tell me their experience? The specs I'm going off of are these:

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/6869...?cb=1432101738
    https://image.slidesharecdn.com/6869...?cb=1432101738

Any help is appreciated!

Similar Threads:

Default Re: EMCO 320 RPC sizing

Let me clarify my disconnect. Main drive requires 2.6/4.0 kw for 100%/50% duty cycle, or 2.95/4.96 HP. Therefore, assuming the design is for 5HP, The American Rotary says an AD10 is good for 3.7Kw, or 5HP motor start and 10HP total run. The EMCO spec also says the connection load is 10KVA (Doesn't 10HP = 10KVA?). So is a AD10 sufficient or should it be sized up? If so the AD15 *should* suffice. The AD20 is only $80 more, which is a total load of 20HP or 20KVA? Am I answering my question or am I missing something. If I should upsize the RPC, is there any penalty in going to the AD20? Any of you running them on an AD10 or equiv RPC? Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nerdsite View Post
    Let me clarify my disconnect. Main drive requires 2.6/4.0 kw for 100%/50% duty cycle, or 2.95/4.96 HP. Therefore, assuming the design is for 5HP, The American Rotary says an AD10 is good for 3.7Kw, or 5HP motor start and 10HP total run. The EMCO spec also says the connection load is 10KVA (Doesn't 10HP = 10KVA?). So is a AD10 sufficient or should it be sized up? If so the AD15 *should* suffice. The AD20 is only $80 more, which is a total load of 20HP or 20KVA? Am I answering my question or am I missing something. If I should upsize the RPC, is there any penalty in going to the AD20? Any of you running them on an AD10 or equiv RPC? Thanks!
    10KVA sounds about right for that machine, check the name plate on the machine, If you are going with an RPC then it wants to have twice the HP rating of what your machines total is that is the norm for a RPC Phase Perfect is better but costs a lot more than a RPC

Mactec54

Thanks. I also got another good data point where depending on which version of the EMCO is can pull 28/33 amps, 3-phase. That's significant enough to warrant the larger size (e.g. AD20).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nerdsite View Post
    Thanks. I also got another good data point where depending on which version of the EMCO is can pull 28/33 amps, 3-phase. That's significant enough to warrant the larger size (e.g. AD20).
    Yes that would be just over 57A for the single phase supply to the RPC

Mactec54