Retrofit of an EMCO 120 CNC lathe - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Retrofit of an EMCO 120 CNC lathe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Retrofit of an EMCO 120 CNC lathe

OK, so I end up buying the SZGH-CNC1000TDb-2 controller. Now I have to install it.
    Do I really need to buy and fit linear scales to my lathe? Electronics are not my best subject, my lathe is a Neutron CNC CJK0640 if that help.

Hi,

Not unless you want to feed the actual position back to the controller. My install was done without feedback and relies only on the servos for getting to the commanded position. You can setup backlash compensation and correct for leadscrew pitch errors in the controller too. That helps to minimize some of the issues with not having positional feedback.

Cheers

Do you need a prototype or a small production run of your parts? We provide fast and accurate CNC machining services. No minimum quantity required! Try us now at www.cnc-proto.eu

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mukanico View Post
    Hi,

Not unless you want to feed the actual position back to the controller. My install was done without feedback and relies only on the servos for getting to the commanded position. You can setup backlash compensation and correct for leadscrew pitch errors in the controller too. That helps to minimize some of the issues with not having positional feedback.

Cheers
    Thanks for that. My lathe's current controller doesn't seem to have any linear scales and I was hoping I didn't need them.

Downloads
    Uploads

As has been said, scales only if you want. They won't actually get used for closing the loop, they will just provide feedback for out of position monitoring and errors. Does your control support them anyway? I thought the tdc had the feedback option and the tdb didn't.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    As has been said, scales only if you want. They won't actually get used for closing the loop, they will just provide feedback for out of position monitoring and errors. Does your control support them anyway? I thought the tdc had the feedback option and the tdb didn't.
    Hood, you may be right I'm not sure. Reading the "manual" it mentioned them and looking at the controller there looks to be a socket for scales.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_B View Post
    Hood, you may be right I'm not sure. Reading the "manual" it mentioned them and looking at the controller there looks to be a socket for scales.
    I am not sure either, there doesn't really seem to be much information on the actual differences between TDC and TDB controllers. I have the TDC and it has CN13 socket for feedback and I was lead to believe that the TDB did not have it but I also remembering seeing that it was an option.

I do have a glass scale hooked up to mine on the X axis and I have my servo drives encoder output hooked up on the Z axis and thus both have feedback for out of position checking purposes

The reason I put the scale on the X was because I was not getting tools in exactly the right position after switching on, once set up they would be spot on for the rest of the time the control was on but shut down and restart then home and call a tool to go to a set position and it would be slightly out and you had to adjust the offset again. I fitted the scale to see if I could work out why and it turned out I had a parameter for homing set wrong, it was not looking for the encoders Index pulse. Once I had that set correctly then even after a restart/home the tools are exactly where the are meant to be.

Just for your or anyone else's information, when set correctly you will see the axis move to the home switch, it will back off slowly, it will then momentarily stop when it sees the switch close and then it will again start to move slowly until it sees the index pulse. If the last movement doesn't happen then the parameters for homing is not set correctly for Index homing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234