Retrofit of an EMCO 120 CNC lathe - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retrofit of an EMCO 120 CNC lathe

Default Re: Retrofit of an EMCO 120 CNC lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    You mentioned earlier that they sorted you with the Emco logo screen, did they just send a file or did they load that before you purchased? I was trying to do my own but couldn't seem to manage to overwrite the default one.
    Hi,

I sent them the image file before they shipped the controller and they loaded it. However, recently I also bought from them a milling controller (SZGH?CNC1500MDb?4) for another retrofit I did (I may do a post about it in the future) but forgot to ask for the logo screen. They sent me the instructions to do it myself. I have added them below as they might be applicable to your controller.

How to change logo?
    1.Prepare a logo picture
    (Format:BMP , Dimension: 800*600)to exchange original logo picture in U-Disk, or (The Best Way)modify in the logo picture on computer.ensure the dimension and format unchanged.
    2.Change No.1 parameter to disable in Password ,and change No.12 parameter(inner parameter ) in Other parameter to 8. (steps:Press”Parameter” ,Press “F7”,enter”Passed” ,No.1,”Is enable CNC Co.’s password? “,press “Enter” ,express”Please input CNC Co.’s password ,the password is “111111”, ”input “1” mean “not”(is disable); And Press “F5”-Other,enter other parameter ,change the No.12 inner parameter to 8)
    3.Restore the parameter(logo picture) into system.
    (Steps:insert U-disk,press “F6”,enter U-disk,press “F2”-Restore ,input parameter,”Please input Machine Co.’s password:666666,press “Enter”,express “Are you sure to input PLC,soft,parameter to CNC?”,Press “Enter”,Input successful ,Please reboot CNC! ,press enter,press “F6”to exit U-disk.)
    4.Reboot CNC ,the logo change is finished.
    5.After reboot, set No.12 parameter in Other parameter to 7.And set No.1 parameter in Password parameter to Enable.

Do you need a prototype or a small production run of your parts? We provide fast and accurate CNC machining services. No minimum quantity required! Try us now at www.cnc-proto.eu

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I was missing the 666666 password bit, I knew the 111111 one. Will give it a go when I get a chance.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like I am about to embark on my journey to fit the SZGH control. Yesterday I was trying to use the lathe and it was doing lots of weird things, wouldn't jog so restarted then wouldn't home so restarted, spindle wouldn't turn on so restarted etc etc.
    I started pulling the control panel and electrical panel to bits, some I will reuse such as PLC, Servo drives and relays but most will not be used.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Retrofit of an EMCO 120 CNC lathe-screenhunter_2540-mar-09-18-37-jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Looks like I am about to embark on my journey to fit the SZGH control. Yesterday I was trying to use the lathe and it was doing lots of weird things, wouldn't jog so restarted then wouldn't home so restarted, spindle wouldn't turn on so restarted etc etc.
    I started pulling the control panel and electrical panel to bits, some I will reuse such as PLC, Servo drives and relays but most will not be used.
    This stage of a retrofit is always a scary sight.... Good luck with it!

What lathe is it?

Do you need a prototype or a small production run of your parts? We provide fast and accurate CNC machining services. No minimum quantity required! Try us now at www.cnc-proto.eu

Downloads
    Uploads

Ha ha it is not too bad as I have done quite a few and the lathe itself was my third retrofit and has had a few enhancements over the time I have had it.
    It is a Churchill Computurn 290 that I bought about 2006 and fitted Mach3 to it, originally via the parallel port then the USB Smoothstepper and latterly the Ethernet Smoothstepper.
    I have known the control was dying for quite a while so have been planning the refit although I was torn between the SZGH and a CSMIO/IP-A (I have that on the Chiron FZ12S and love it) but the CS-Lab new software is not lathe compatible yet and Mach 3 and CSMIO has some niggles for lathe and Mach4 is a non-starter for me so it came down to my only real choice was the SZGH.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Retrofit of an EMCO 120 CNC lathe-screenhunter_1054-oct-08-11-48-jpg  

Nice!

I never used Mach 3 or the other PC based controllers so I can't do a direct comparison. But both SZGH controllers I have (lathe and mill) have been performing flawlessly so far and, price-wise, I didn't find them much more expensive than the hardware required to do a proper PC based retrofit from scratch. It just takes a while to get use to some of the chinese translation choices ("redeem" meaning tool library, etc.).

Downloads
    Uploads

I have never really had issues with Mach3 and it runs my Chiron, Beaver Mill and Plasma very well indeed. The lathe side of Mach3 works pretty well but there are a few things it does not do, one is CSS and although threading can be an issue for some it has never been an issue for me. I could have gone down the route of just getting another Smoothstepper or even going back to the USB version as I have a few here, but I wanted to go more industrial and thus CSMIO or SZGH were the choices.

Price wise the CSMIO itself would be about the same as the SZGH but then again if the SZGH goes up the spout then you have a complete control to get where if the computer goes on a PC based system then a motherboard or hard drive is cheap enough.
    The downside I see to the SZGH is the configurability , it does seem quite configurable but no where near as much as Mach is and one thing I will miss is the network ability, I will take bad having to transfer files via USB but that is not the end of the world if it performs as well as I hope it will. My friend is currently converting an Avon mill to an Adtech and I think that has network ability but as he doesn't transfer files via network I suppose I won't really know how well it works but it will be interesting to see how the Adtech performs.

Yes, the terms are quite funny, Redeem as you mention but the couple that make me chuckle is something like Curry tool is ...... when it should be current tool and also the Huff button which I take to be Air blast.

Having to transfer the files over a USB stick can indeed be a bit annoying after a while. I read that one could configure a Raspberry Pi Zero W to act as a network connected USB drive. I'm planning on giving it a try sometime soon.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/pi...b-flash-drive/

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I had seen that as well. I had been looking at the Sandisk wifi stick but seems you can only transfer via wifi when it is not connected but during my searching I did see the Pi info.
    I tried via serial but there is no advantage to it and infact it is worse as you need to send from the PC then go to the SZGH and type in the file name you wish to transfer so USB is much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Pilot View Post
    This is not the best way to achieve the RPM required. Most certainly the motor can easily handle 120Hz, (check the MFG for max RPM it's probably 6kRPM.) By increasing motor pulley diameter you've reduced torque to the spindle. This will be troublesome if you work steel at 2" diameter.

Correct setup would give full motor torque to 60Hz, and as Hz increased to 120, available torque would drop but full HP would be available. As small diameter parts need less torque this is acceptable. This is how most spindle motors are configured. For my Emco I chose an ABB 2.2kW, 4 pole motor and run it to 6000RPM. This essentially matches the original motor exactly.
    Hello,

Quick update to this build: I followed Diesel_Pilot's advice and went back to the original motor pulley. I had to increase the VFD max. frequency to 83Hz to reach the original 4000rpm max. spindle speed but the additional low end torque is quite useful. Thanks!

Retrofit of an EMCO 120 CNC lathe-20190311_152321-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, Are you using the original tool turret and its 24volt motor ???? If so, how hard was it to incorporate with the new control ?????

Thanks

pete

Quote Originally Posted by slowtwitch View Post
    Hi, Are you using the original tool turret and its 24volt motor ???? If so, how hard was it to incorporate with the new control ?????
    Hi,

Yes, it's all original. I used a Pololu VNH5019 driver for the 24VDC motor driven by PWM signals sent by an Arduino PLC (Controllino Maxi), which manages the forward and reverse currents sent to the motor. The Controllino also decodes the output of the turret photodiodes (pnp) and sends it to the new controller (npn). It was a fairly straightforward job.

There are a few projects documented online that use a similar approach of using an arduino to manage the signals:
    https://forum.linuxcnc.org/26-turnin...l?limitstart=0

https://github.com/f1oat/EATC-120

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast