EMCOTURN 242 Duplomatic tool changer (disc) revolution operation question

Thread: EMCOTURN 242 Duplomatic tool changer (disc) revolution operation question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default EMCOTURN 242 Duplomatic tool changer (disc) revolution operation question

I'm not a machinist and have no experience on the Duplomatic BSV-N 160-8/24 turret. I'm going to attach a Mach3 system for someone and want to understand the basic operation of the turret. I have all the manuals including the one for this turret from Duplomatic. The turret unit is intact with Balluff BRGB3-WBB-08 encoder. The turret has 8 positions. The wires to the turret motor and the encoder are disconnected. The power to the EMCOTURN 242 lathe where all of this is located is disconnected. The manual said that the brake is powered down with all of the wires disconnected.

Looking at the tool changer from between the spindle and the tool changer is my reference point. There are two notches on the tool changer 180 degrees from one another with notches opposite these on the turret housing. One notch is at the 12 o' clock position. At about the 2 o' clock position is position one. Position 8 is at about the 4 o' clock position. All other positions are spread out accordingly. Sorry about the detail, I'm just trying to paint the picture as best as I can. As I rotate the tool changer counter clockwise, there is no interference. I can rotate all day long counter clockwise. As I rotate the tool changer clockwise, and referencing the 12 o' clock notch, The tool changer wants to stop between position 7 and 8 being closer to position 7. It doesn't want to go past this mark. The same thing happens between position 6 and 7 being closer to position 6.

I removed the solenoid and pin that is supposed to lock the tool changer. The same behavior happens. Each time this behavior happens, the spring loaded collar on the encoder moves towards the encoder to the sensor position. This sensor is called a locking control switch. This is where the tool changer stops and it seems that the spring is being put under pressure and is actually stopping the tool changer. I am only moving this tool changer by hand and am not putting too much pressure on things just to see how things work.

Should the tool changer rotate freely in any direction? I read that it is bidirectional.

If I have missed something in the manuals, I sure could use some advice. Thanks for your time.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: EMCOTURN 242 Duplomatic tool changer (disc) revolution operation question

Quote Originally Posted by a2016 View Post
    I'm not a machinist and have no experience on the Duplomatic BSV-N 160-8/24 turret. I'm going to attach a Mach3 system for someone and want to understand the basic operation of the turret. I have all the manuals including the one for this turret from Duplomatic. The turret unit is intact with Balluff BRGB3-WBB-08 encoder. The turret has 8 positions. The wires to the turret motor and the encoder are disconnected. The power to the EMCOTURN 242 lathe where all of this is located is disconnected. The manual said that the brake is powered down with all of the wires disconnected.

Looking at the tool changer from between the spindle and the tool changer is my reference point. There are two notches on the tool changer 180 degrees from one another with notches opposite these on the turret housing. One notch is at the 12 o' clock position. At about the 2 o' clock position is position one. Position 8 is at about the 4 o' clock position. All other positions are spread out accordingly. Sorry about the detail, I'm just trying to paint the picture as best as I can. As I rotate the tool changer counter clockwise, there is no interference. I can rotate all day long counter clockwise. As I rotate the tool changer clockwise, and referencing the 12 o' clock notch, The tool changer wants to stop between position 7 and 8 being closer to position 7. It doesn't want to go past this mark. The same thing happens between position 6 and 7 being closer to position 6.

I removed the solenoid and pin that is supposed to lock the tool changer. The same behavior happens. Each time this behavior happens, the spring loaded collar on the encoder moves towards the encoder to the sensor position. This sensor is called a locking control switch. This is where the tool changer stops and it seems that the spring is being put under pressure and is actually stopping the tool changer. I am only moving this tool changer by hand and am not putting too much pressure on things just to see how things work.

Should the tool changer rotate freely in any direction? I read that it is bidirectional.

If I have missed something in the manuals, I sure could use some advice. Thanks for your time.
    Very old thread, I have the same question about a turret I have (Duplomatic 160-8/20), did you ever solve this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: EMCOTURN 242 Duplomatic tool changer (disc) revolution operation question

Quote Originally Posted by Chazaxl View Post
    Very old thread, I have the same question about a turret I have (Duplomatic 160-8/20), did you ever solve this?
    I believe this is normal now that I have messed around with my own turret, I dont think our model reverses. The newer ones I believe do.