Emco compact 5 pc lathe - linuxcnc setup without circuit board hack. - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Emco compact 5 pc lathe - linuxcnc setup without circuit board hack.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Emco compact 5 pc lathe - linuxcnc setup without circuit board hack.

I was running my lathe tonite and remembered I said I'd post a vid (it's been a while) It's a bit fuzzy because my phone has a mind of it's own . For as simple of a part that it is , it's been tough to get it tuned in . I still have a few tweaks to do on the program .

The large diameter at .3125 is the critical which I try to keep within a few tenths , the smaller diameter is .19 and a clean finish is the only real critical on that portion .
    I like to use carbides but they can be fussy on .375 dia stock with a 2.25 stick out . I've ground a hss blank and it's cutting nice . The deflection is quite noticeable in the video but the spring passes leave me with a nice finish and consistent sizes between parts

You sharing your info here is highly appreciated , I've made a lot of parts on this little machine . The only upgrade that I've done is the recently added tool turret . The turret is connected to an arduino controlling a pc power supply and relays , and I use a push button to index

This little lathe runs great with the linuxcnc . The only problem that I face right now is that I've somehow lost a chunk out of my encoder disc and my rpm's are a bit wacky on the control . It doesn't have any ill effect on regular turning but I think I'm going to have trouble with threading . I'm always watching ebay , so I'm sure one will pop up on there sooner or later , thats how I found this to begin with . Either way , this little toy rocks

Emco compact 5 pc lathe - linuxcnc setup without circuit board hack.-img_20201220_212655_7-jpg

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Emco compact 5 pc lathe - linuxcnc setup without circuit board hack.

Awesome! How the heck did you lose a chunk from the encoder wheel? All of mine are stamped tin.. ( actually - I could send you one....)

Downloads
    Uploads

Man, I wish I could find a machine like this downunder! There is one available at AUD $2.5k with no turret and its interstate so shipping would be a bit but I think he's asking too much. What do you guys think?

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Sam If you have a spare to send then ya let me know your price
    I have no idea of how I did that damage . mine looks to be stamped to and I'd expect it to bend if anything . It broke at the top portion of around 1/2 dozen holes , so I'm thinking a bit of metal epoxy putty could possibly be formed to replace that chunk .

I had the lathe tipped up at one point to get at the gibs to tighten them and the lathe took a bad spill , so I'm expecting something must have wacked it at that point but who knows . Aside from that this thing is very consistent when I do batches of parts . Like any lathe the sizes will creep until the bearings are fully warmed up and after that I can keep pumping out parts .

I can take a pretty heavy cut considering how little of casting there is to the lathe . The only cuts that really get the vibrations up are a straight in .125 wide groove cut , and that doesn't come as a surprise . Yesterday scared me , I was taking heavy groove cuts and suddenly the vibration went nuts . I stopped it and I could move the chuck side to side . First thing that immediately came to mind was I blew the bearing . Turned out the vibration was heavy enough to rattle the bolts loose on the chuck mounting plate , I was relieved lol . The chuck and that plate were a replacement for the original chuck and I mustn't have had the plate tightened enough from the get go

Rod
    If the lathe is in good shape and ready to go then I honestly don't see a problem with the price if it can be justified with enough parts . From what I've been able to track online about these things , it seems they were awful expense out of the factory , but they mostly targeted schools who had big budgets . If a guy weighs out a retrofit vs a pre-built then time and cost is always a factor . I found this one on ebay for 1200us plus a couple hundred to ship . A new chuck and mount plate were around a couple hundred and the turret was just over 500
    It was a good deal because I haven't seen another come up any where near the same price , and they are usually $2500+ when they do come up

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

I forgot to mention something with the manual push button controlled turret . It will be easy to mount a switch on the lathe , and add into the program to tap the switch with the carriage to to do a tool change . It may take a tap with a dwell or a few to index to the proper tool , but it will be simple and is in the plans for the near future . Or wire it in on a relay

Downloads
    Uploads

Pm me your address.

Downloads
    Uploads

right on dude will do

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I'm trying to get the little emco pc lathe up and going and got an error about the port address being wrong and the axes being outdated code. I found the word axes in the ini file and it appears it may be a mistype of axis, is that a good guess or am I off the track ? Would it be a good idea to change the line " loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x378 out " " to read " loadrt hal_parport cfg="0 out " and let the system sort it or is my grasp of the code way off ? It's been more than 20 years since I did any coding. Thanx.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you running straight from a parallel port or through a mesa card ?
    If your running through a pp then you should be able to drop the files in the configs and run from there . I'm using the download files - latest / full step and they work great .

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    Are you running straight from a parallel port or through a mesa card ?
    If your running through a pp then you should be able to drop the files in the configs and run from there . I'm using the download files - latest / full step and they work great .
    Hi metal, I am trying to do it through a parallel port, the machine starts up and the steppers lock up so I'm assuming everything is fine on the machine. I had to do a ton of cleaning and resetting the guides but all smooth with minimal ware shows up now.
    I have read some more info and have now reloaded the computer with debian wheezy preempt 3.4.55-4 and the getting started guide says I have to install a new kernel so I will go through the guide provided before I try to run the full step and half step folders again.
    I will post again of the results unless you have some better advice on which distro to use. Thanx for the reply.

Downloads
    Uploads

All sorted, linux didn't like the parallel port card now to digest the jargon and learn gcode and one of the cad cam progs.

Downloads
    Uploads

HI do u know where i can find the dongle of Emco COmpact 5pc?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234