EMCOTurn 340TC project - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EMCOTurn 340TC project

Downloads
    Uploads

How are you going to deal with your lack of Hydraulic Power unit? Are you going to build one or fit one? Now that you have the control up, I would imagine that is your next issue to deal with? You need it for the chuck and tailstock/ram I believe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi thanks for this Eric, I backed it off with a wrench and that is sorted. I can now jog around again in jog mode and start and stop the spindle. The next issue I have is when I go to MDI mode it gives an alarm for X+ travel limit which I am relatively certain is because of soft limits that are not defined correctly. In the settings there is an area for defining the limits but I am unsure of the format. Can you tell me what you have for the limits in the settings?

Actually any settings you have I will probably need to type in too since we have the same machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Escarcega View Post
    How are you going to deal with your lack of Hydraulic Power unit? Are you going to build one or fit one? Now that you have the control up, I would imagine that is your next issue to deal with? You need it for the chuck and tailstock/ram I believe
    Yeah glad to be finally making some progress. I found a Rexroth hydraulic unit on ebay and while it is not exactly the right one I do believe it will work with some modification. The new one has more solenoid valves than I need and an accumulator which I don't think the original had? So I might have to remove and cap some stuff. Bit of a jigsaw puzzle only with more pieces than needed.

I also acquired a new old stock Rohm Duro NC 160 power chuck. So I have most of the bits now and it all seems to be in working order save for some bits of setup data.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool. Keep us posted on your progress. Must be a good feeling to see the machine moving around.
    Marty

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok so more progress to report. I made a coolant reservoir from a 20 gallon plastic tote I got at home depot. I put a 1/4 inch acrylic sheet I had laying around for the top to mount the motor on. Seems to work pretty well. I have one small spot that leaks I will have to sort.

On the hydraulic front I am still working on that puzzle the pump I got does work I sprayed hydraulic fluid everywhere to verify that. I got the fittings I needed to hook up the hydraulic hoses and some plugs to plug some things off. Just need to make some cover plates to cap off some stuff on the valve side of the column.

On the chuck I need to pick up some outer jaws and make a tube connector to connect the chuck to the closer. In the mean time I picked up a Bison non power 6 jaw set tru chuck with an A2-6 adapter plate. Which I got dialed in and seems to work fine. Just have to limit the spindle to 2500 rpm. I use a 3/8 inch ratchet to open and close it because the T wrench hits the bulkhead.

The turret works fine. The oiler gives me low pressure central lubrication unless I press it like 10-20 times. But at this point I am ready to make chips.

One question I have is what turning tool shank size to be on center line with the VDI holder? Is it 3/4 inch tools?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, Quick update, I got the Hydraulic power unit all hooked up and sort of working. At least the tail stock is working. The power chuck button does not seem to do anything. I verified the chuck hydraulics by swapping the tail stock control cables and actuating the chuck with the tail stock buttons. So the hydraulics are good it is just the button does nothing when pushed. I think what is maybe happening is perhaps the chuck is not enabled in the PLC settings. And so the button does nothing.

Anyone haven any idea which bits I need to toggle to enable the chuck on a Emco 340 with a Siemens 810T GA 1 control? This is the last thing I need to sort to have a working machine so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: EMCOTurn 340TC project

Can anyone tell me when you reach the reference point on your emco 340 what the value is for x and z? I am trying to determine if the TEA machine data parameters I have are correct for reference location.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thought I would share a video of the machine all buttoned up and working

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow Allen, That is one sweet lathe !!!!! Great job on the rebuild. Btw, what cam program are you using????

pete

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Pete it's a real relief to have it working. I am using Geomagic(AKA Alibre) for CAD and Dolphin Partmaster for CAM. One of the things that really sold me on Dolphin was that they had a post processor for the Siemens 810T . And it was relatively affordable. It has some quirks that I am getting used to but I can't complain it does the job fine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

very cool!! must be a major relief to have it up and running well.( I got a similar project with getting an okuma up and running)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Allen. Nice job. I was inspired by your youtube video so I went out and bought a very similar lathe. I don't have it in my shop yet but I'm hoping you can offer some guidance when the time comes. --Will

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by will gilmore View Post
    Hey Allen. Nice job. I was inspired by your youtube video so I went out and bought a very similar lathe. I don't have it in my shop yet but I'm hoping you can offer some guidance when the time comes. --Will
    Hi Will,

I will do what I can to help. No guarantees because these machines are just so old. But if I can help I will.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great. I'm expecting the machine to be in my shop on Monday at which point I'll start my own thread. It has a couple electrical / control issues. I'm debating between retrofit or repair. Did you ever track down manuals?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My 340 was delivered two days ago. I have a bunch of documentation / manuals with it that I haven't looked through yet. Looks like you already have yours sorted but I'm happy to share with anyone else working on these.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by allenj20 View Post
    Ok, Quick update, I got the Hydraulic power unit all hooked up and sort of working. At least the tail stock is working. The power chuck button does not seem to do anything. I verified the chuck hydraulics by swapping the tail stock control cables and actuating the chuck with the tail stock buttons. So the hydraulics are good it is just the button does nothing when pushed. I think what is maybe happening is perhaps the chuck is not enabled in the PLC settings. And so the button does nothing.

Anyone haven any idea which bits I need to toggle to enable the chuck on a Emco 340 with a Siemens 810T GA 1 control? This is the last thing I need to sort to have a working machine so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hello Allenj20, I'm wondering if you ever got clarity on how to enable the collet chuck. it sounds like the same problem I am having with a 810T control. (my lathe is a 320, but very similar) I did find in my manual that I need to set SD-Byte 5008 to 00001110 to tell the control that I have a collet chuck attached instead of a manual chuck, however, this still does not allow me to actuate the collet chuck via the button or the M control in the overstore. thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads

wompster,

I have a 340 as well. (I have a ton of questions for myself too).

To answer yours,

SD 5008, Bit:

7=0
    6=0
    5=0
    4=0
    3= Bar Feeder
    2= ?? Mine is set to 1
    1= Chuck
    0= O.D. Clamp

I set mine to; 00000101 and it works as a collet chuck...

Make sure you are in automatic mode, with AUX off. Change the bits, then pressing AUX on, sets the parameter changes. (Confirmed by the L.E.D. that's 2nd from right)

I think (I'm not positive) I actuated the change with the H functions in OVERSTORE, But the H functions are still vague to me..... This is an area I need help. I cannot get my tail stock to work, nor my parts catcher...

Downloads
    Uploads

For my issues: (Emcoturn 340TC Seimens, Sinumeric control, 3YC 8604006Y)

Does anyone have the main drive tuning procedure?

Can anyone supply me with the H.....M..... List for the hydraulic options. And Setting Data (bits)? I'm unsuccessful at getting my tail stock and parts catcher working.

What's the smallest rotary phase converter people are using? (Currently mine is a 20hp, 1.5% voltage balance). The reason for this question is everything works, but the spindle is sporadic. Sometimes it doesn't engage (contactor does) sometimes it only rotates one direction-doubling the commanded speed, and other times it functions as normal, but is about 37 RPM off from commanded vs. actual speed.

Finally does anybody know about R parameters? I have only one entry in mine after re-commissioning. (R300=301) The L files I entered on commissioning were L-700, L-710, L-756, and L-970. I'm not sure if this is correct-but it was what I had on floppy when receiving the machine.

Thanks in advance for any information and help on mine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi!

I have the same problems with my Emco 340 TC. Tail stock and parts catcher not working.
    The machine had also lost its machine parameters, but Emco sent it to me. So if anyone needs them, please PM!

The "R-Parameters" are for the cyles.
    L700 is parts counter
    L710 "SE-TRANSFER"
    L756 "BIN/DEC CONVERTER"

Besides L700 i don't know what they do.

Downloads
    Uploads

Great machine, I saw you video accidentally on youtube , funny title as hell and now I found thread. I am really happy that you manage to make it work. I also bought Partmaster for my Emco Turn 220

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast