EMCOTurn 340TC project - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EMCOTurn 340TC project

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by allenj20 View Post
    Some progress to report on this project. I had my electrician out today to hook up the transformer. It was a bear to figure out how to wire it up since it has so many taps and the wiring diagram was a bit of a head scratcher, even with three of us looking at it, but we finally figured it out. And hey what do you know I got 380V power in the shop now.

So I powered on the machine side disconnect and turned the machine on/off switch and the control came right up. Which is a result... sort of. The control powers up when I hit NC On but not much happens when I hit AUX On. Hrm....

Well tomorrow I will get to the back side of it and see what I can make of it.

If anyone has advice or suggestions I am all ears.
    Well, progess is progress. :-). So did the control completely come on? Any errors on the display? I wonder if the hydraulic system gives any feedback to the control? I take it Emco USA wasn't of much help with documentation? Keep us posted of your progress. Maybe a picture of the video display might help. Someone may know the control.

Marty

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Making any progress?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not really no I am getting a bit discouraged at this point.

Can anyone tell me does the hydraulic pack have to be on before aux will come on? And what about air line does that have to have pressure before it will power on?

Also I am looking for a hydraulic power pack. But I don't really know what I am looking for as I never had the original and I have no manuals or info on the unit and I know exactly jack squat about hydraulics. Any info as far as brand model or general specs for the hydraulic unit would be helpful.

Also I have seen a couple of times on different forums people allude to a recommisioning process from Emco for the Emco machines. Anyone have any info on what has to be done to recommission one of these?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am at a standstill on this. Keep meaning to get Emco support on the phone failed on that count last time as they took down my info and never called me back and have sort of been discouraged to try again. But I think that is the way forward is to get support on the phone and get some of these basic questions answered.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

the "aux on" is what turns on the hyd. on. turn on control. after the screen comes on. hold "aux on" for 3-5 seconds and hyd. come on. till you get some hyd. pump maybe you could hook up a 3phase motor to fake the control into thinking it has the hyd. on. i am not aware of any hyd. pressure sensors just electrical. could be wrong though. mine doesn't use any air so i'm no help there.
    what is your e-mail i can send you the stuff that emco sent me to reload the parameters and cycles and what not. you will have to tweek a couple parameters as far as what your options are. like part catcher, auto chuck, chip conveyor etc.
    i'll look up the hyd. info next time i'm out at my shop. probably won't be there till the weekend. still got a regular day job.

Eric

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So when you power yours on can you move the axis or turn on the spindle before you hit aux on? Does the spindle blower come on at power on?

When I turn mine on I can here the hour meter ticking over and I can turn the control on with the NC on button nothing else powers up and I can't move the axis or turn on the spindle. And when I hit AUX on nothing happens. I would greatly appreciate the info you have. allen@allenjeterDOTcom

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: EMCOTurn 340TC project

I can't do anything mechanical till the "aux on" is on. I can move though the control. Edit programs, load programs, put tools off sets in etc. But can't move anything. No tool changer,axis,spindle. Nothing till the control says "aux on" is on

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Downloads
    Uploads

You should be able to rig the signal for the hydraulic pressure to allow the control to enable, but this still all depends on your getting ahold of the schematic. If you can get that schematic or figure out which signal wire it may allow you to make a small step forward.

I'm pretty sure your machine will have a pressure sensor that triggers a ready signal to the control, I know mine does (I lost pressure a couple of months ago when the accumulator lost its seal and the control went into emergency state and stopped everything real fast).

Hydraulic pump systems for lathes aren't really all that compicated, you just gotta look at each piece and put together the picture of what you've got. If "Castleville" could send you a few detailed pictures you may be able to recreate the original unit.

On a single turret/spindle machine you should have the tank, motor/pump, valvebody or manifold, accumulator, bi-directional control valve for the chuck, another for the tailstock if it's hydraulic, and if you're lathe has a C axis you may have another for the brake if it has one. Sizing is important so I would think getting the part numbers from "Castleville" would be the easiest route.

Still surprised Emco Maier hasn't been more help, spoke with them again last week about the back spindle rotary union and got exactly the info I needed in about 10 minutes.

Regards,
    John B

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't forget about getting you some hyd. Info. Been a hectic week. Hopefully will be at my shop in a day or two

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Man, I understand I have a day job for now too. I am going to take Friday off to focus on this project and hopefully get Emco on the phone.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This what i could find out. Max pressure is 40 bar. Normal operating pressure is 30 bar.
    The spindle fan comes on with the hyd. System.
    Let me know if you need any other info.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EMCOTurn 340TC project-uploadfromtaptalk1360890283608-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The top solenoid is for the parts catcher forward and back. The 2nd one down is for the parts catcher side to side. 3rd down is for the chuck and the 4th is for the tailstock.
    Hope this helps.

Downloads
    Uploads

Any luck Allen?
    Marty

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All,

I have an EmcoTurn 342 myself with hydraulic problems, see another tread on this forum.
    Unfortunately I did not get much support on the forum so far.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/emco_l...tml#post986225

Allen, did you ever check that your backup batteries are replaced or at least not empty?
    If the sinumerik backup batteries are empty, you loose the machine parameters.

Replacing the batteries should only be done when the machine is powered on.
    The siemens webpage & forum has tons of information and should also have the procedure to replace the batteries.

I lost my parameters by replacing the batteries with new ones (which were not new but close to empty I found out later)
    I have the parameters for my machine also on printed paper luckily.

Downloads
    Uploads

Your other thread didn't mention any hydraulic aspects, just the alarms. My machine is different but if there is any info I can offer...

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It has been awhile I had to set the EmcoTurn 340 aside while I worked on some other stuff. I am back to trying to
    get this old machine tool back in service.

EmcoTurn 340

Fabrication number R3C B2B3 004R

I really could use some help getting this old machine back in service.
    I would be eternally grateful if anyone could help me in any way at all.
    I am working on reloading the control from scratch. I am going to
    replace both batteries in the control with new lithium batteries. What
    I got with the system was

a floppy with

newport.te1
    newport.te2

Newport Corporation was the company I got the machine from.

I have recovered the files off this floppy and they are on my computer
    (had to dig out a floppy drive)

I also received a box of paper punch tapes

PCP
    commplc-data sw06 R3C B2B3 004R
    L700-LP70
    PCA

This came from Siemens in Illinois in 2008 judging from the shipping
    label on the box. I have purchased a Siemens Sinumerik Tape Reader.
    6FC 3984-1FD from the UK. It should be here by Wednesday I am hoping I
    can use this to get the data off of those paper tapes and reload the
    control.

I have ordered the batteries and null modem and serial cable and I
    think everything I need to reload the control from scratch. I just
    need help with the procedure. I found the attached PDF from Siemens
    not sure if this is all I need? Of course the doc won't help with
    paper tape reload. I also have the Siemens PCIN software on my
    computer from the document

I would really really appreciate it if anyone could provide me any help
    or documentation from Emco or Siemens on the reload procedure.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EMCOTurn 340TC project-810_820-reload-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Castleville, very much for the picture and information on the hydraulics that is helpful.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CASTLEVILLE View Post
    the "aux on" is what turns on the hyd. on. turn on control. after the screen comes on. hold "aux on" for 3-5 seconds and hyd. come on. till you get some hyd. pump maybe you could hook up a 3phase motor to fake the control into thinking it has the hyd. on. i am not aware of any hyd. pressure sensors just electrical. could be wrong though. mine doesn't use any air so i'm no help there.
    what is your e-mail i can send you the stuff that emco sent me to reload the parameters and cycles and what not. you will have to tweek a couple parameters as far as what your options are. like part catcher, auto chuck, chip conveyor etc.
    i'll look up the hyd. info next time i'm out at my shop. probably won't be there till the weekend. still got a regular day job.

Eric
    Hi Eric,

I think this is the info I need now, my email is allenATlumensaDOTcom

Cheers and thanks,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok Result, I was able to restore the control with a combination of recovering a couple of files off an old floppy and paper punch tape (oh man what have I gotten myself in to). And the control came up with some alarm related to thermal overload of certain components. So after fiddling around I figured out these were just resets in the machine.

So after reseting all the breakers in the system I got aux to come on and I could move both axis. I was so happy, for like 5 minutes jogging the axis. Until...

I managed to trigger an overtravel switch on the x axis

So now I have a 6010 x axis overtravel switch active alarm that I can't clear and AUX is off again. Anyone know how to clear this alarm?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The manual I have says to take a screwdriver and put it across the terminals of the limit switch. To jump the limit switch. Then you can restart the aux and move off limit switch. Or turn everything off and take a wrench and manually turn ballscrew till you're off limit switch. I have had to do both. No eazy way to do it. Now I turn feed rate down to 50% when I am jogging around makes it a little eazier to get it unstuck.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by allenj20 View Post
    Ok Result, I was able to restore the control with a combination of recovering a couple of files off an old floppy and paper punch tape (oh man what have I gotten myself in to). And the control came up with some alarm related to thermal overload of certain components. So after fiddling around I figured out these were just resets in the machine.

So after reseting all the breakers in the system I got aux to come on and I could move both axis. I was so happy, for like 5 minutes jogging the axis. Until...

I managed to trigger an overtravel switch on the x axis

So now I have a 6010 x axis overtravel switch active alarm that I can't clear and AUX is off again. Anyone know how to clear this alarm?
    Well, good for you! You see progress! :-) I see you got a reply on the overtravel issue. Having to jumper or manually turn a screw is a royal pain in the hind end. Hopefully in the not to distant future I will get started on retrofitting my Emcoturn 240 with a more modern control. My control lets you jog off the limit switch with certain limitations so you don't cause damage. Being a newbie, that is a distinct possibility! :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast