Custom Software for LINUXCNC conversion of earlier EMCO machines, lets collaborate!

Thread: Custom Software for LINUXCNC conversion of earlier EMCO machines, lets collaborate!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Custom Software for LINUXCNC conversion of earlier EMCO machines, lets collaborate!

https://github.com/MichaelWoodc/LINU...O_using_awlsim

It's highly possible we can use all of the original controls from the earlier machines with linux cnc for non-realtime machining operations.

I've done a lot so far but I'll just go ahead and share a few key things and hopefully get some experienced people interested in collaborating.

The earlier milling machines seem to use Profinet/ profibus or Siemens PLC's. They have current linuxcnc projects for both of those. The problem is simply to modify the existing ones for our machines, then to work on any bugs not only in that but in the preexisting software, and to add support for anything not currently supported in current projects.

Please post here if you'd like to help, or on github, I need to add some collaborators to this

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Custom Software for LINUXCNC conversion of earlier EMCO machines, lets collaborat

Lots of relevant info here:
    See attached PDF of all software screenshots, shows all config possibilities.

Of particular interest if you only want to convert your machine to LINUXCNC using a MESA board is the AWL file. It tells you all of the pinouts. The software screenshots tell you all of the standard parameters like acceleration and max speeds.

I do a software walkthrough here:

I have a GITHUB started for converting these to linuxcnc here: https://github.com/MichaelWoodc/LINU...O_using_awlsim

Most all of the files attached here are very useful information and there's many more files with useful information I'll attach as a zip file in a later post.

Attached Files Attached Files
    EMCO PC mill 50/55 My conversion: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop-machines/420198-cnc.html#post2451878

Default Re: Custom Software for LINUXCNC conversion of earlier EMCO machines, lets collaborat

If the machine runs on the original hardware and software, why switch to Linuxcnc? I guess I don't understand which Emco components you intend to keep. That machine is a basic machine. If you need rigid tapping and/or probing, a retrofit may be worth the effort. Most of this retrofit will be configuring Linuxcnc and Mesa. The schematics provide all the pinouts.

If you intend to run the RS485 and AC95 from Linuxcnc PC, this seems like a moot point. Many of these machines show up at auction missing the RS485 card or the PC. I suppose there might be a few who would be interested in a Linuxcnc head they can plug directly into an AC95 machine. If one has a functional machine, if AC95 or RS485 dies, replacements are rare as Emco stopped using these about 20 years ago. For simple mills and lathes, a retrofit is straightforward. For tool changer mills it's a bit more complicated, but there are plenty of examples. If the AC95 or RS485 is dead or missing, a retrofit is the only option and in that case none of the Emco information really matters.

There was a Russian who designed a replacement for the Emco RS485 card. He said his work will be public after he sells the few cards he made.

Downloads
    Uploads

^My only intention would be to use the stock ac98 card, not the rs485 card as the one on the earlier machines uses an ISA slot, not PCIE. I'm not sure what I can do with using the old PC with the PCIE card and linux CNC. It seems pretty outdated hardware.

One of my particular reasons for the retrofit was originally to rigid tap small holes (Not much spindle power to do anything larger than m5 in the softer aluminums).

Another key reason is that I don't want to have to learn and remember different machine interfaces. I am building a few routers, and plan on converting a few other machines in the future, and I'd like to have everything as standardized as possible. Not only from a running the machine standpoint, but from setting up my CAD/CAM packages as well.

I don't want to come off as lazy but it is what it is

EMCO PC mill 50/55 My conversion: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop-machines/420198-cnc.html#post2451878

Do you understand that with a Mesa card you don't need the AC95 at all? That machine has little beyond the VFD and stepper drives. Most people just thread mill when they can't tap. Do you have trouble tapping with the original control?