Emcoturn 120 retrofit - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Emcoturn 120 retrofit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Emcoturn 120 retrofit

chinese vfd is in the trash. I ordered a new better quality one a few weeks ago and have been gathering parts to swap it in. Its in now and I have it running from the vfd keypad so alls well as main connections. I was going to use the rs485 interface on the new vfd but cant figure it out. It also has a set of digital inputs for run/stop and fwd/rev so Im going to use those to get going then work on the serial interface later.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160807_091646s-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Escarcega View Post
    If not a ton of trouble, could I see a picture of the backside of the machine showing where the lube lines go? I have a 120 with manual lube points and am considering switching to auto lube. Thanks, Marty
    heres some pics when I took it apart. Only thing missing is the pump and line from the pump.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-imag3479s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-imag3480s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-imag3481s-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

Is it done or you took little break ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

too many irons on the fire, I bought a 66 Jag with a buddy and we are working on that which also required me to do some painting and wiring on the building. I was just getting ready to get back to the lathe this week funny enough. Jag is here if you are looking for a car project Matching Numbers 1966 Jaguar XKE OTS Project | Bring a Trailer

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CincyTJ View Post
    too many irons on the fire, I bought a 66 Jag with a buddy and we are working on that which also required me to do some painting and wiring on the building. I was just getting ready to get back to the lathe this week funny enough. Jag is here if you are looking for a car project Matching Numbers 1966 Jaguar XKE OTS Project | Bring a Trailer
    I think I had enough rusty projects for this life Good to know you will finish your Emco, was wondering why no new posts

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You don't need to change the Pulley with this motor, you will need the 5hp for your machining, this motor will do the 6,000 Rpm you need by just using your VFD programing
    Hi Mactec. I have this lathe which I bought already retrofitted and stumbled across this thread. It just so happens that I will very soon have an all steel chuck and matching backplate to fit it and will be looking to increase my spindle speed from the current 3000 max rpm (current chucks max rating) to 5000 or 6000, so finding this was well timed. I have a similar but smaller 2.2kw AC induction motor that has 2840 rpm stamped on the plaque, like the one in this build has 3450. Now I assumed this was a max rpm rating for the motor and it is on a 1 to 1 pulley ratio the same as the build in this thread, so I was under the impression I would either need to change the pulley or use a different motor.

Given your advice in the quoted reply, I will be ok to just change max frequency in my VFD and you think the motor can handle the extra speed?

This is new territory for me so I'm not really sure about it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    Hi Mactec. I have this lathe which I bought already retrofitted and stumbled across this thread. It just so happens that I will very soon have an all steel chuck and matching backplate to fit it and will be looking to increase my spindle speed from the current 3000 max rpm (current chucks max rating) to 5000 or 6000, so finding this was well timed. I have a similar but smaller 2.2kw AC induction motor that has 2840 rpm stamped on the plaque, like the one in this build has 3450. Now I assumed this was a max rpm rating for the motor and it is on a 1 to 1 pulley ratio the same as the build in this thread, so I was under the impression I would either need to change the pulley or use a different motor.

Given your advice in the quoted reply, I will be ok to just change max frequency in my VFD and you think the motor can handle the extra speed?

This is new territory for me so I'm not really sure about it.

Hi, you can change max frequency, I aslo have motor which is rated to 2880 RPM, and I set frequency so I can get 4100 RPM, I can get even more but higher RPM give more vibration because I have air actuator on spindle for power chuck which is not dynamically balanced, so if it was I could use is on 5000 or 5500 RPM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zmajmr View Post
    Hi, you can change max frequency, I aslo have motor which is rated to 2880 RPM, and I set frequency so I can get 4100 RPM, I can get even more but higher RPM give more vibration because I have air actuator on spindle for power chuck which is not dynamically balanced, so if it was I could use is on 5000 or 5500 RPM.
    Thanks, that saves me a headache and a bit of cash then . Is there no problem at all running the motor above its max rating?

I have two more questions you may be able to answer. Is the max rpm rating of the spindle itself 4000rpm or 6000rpm? I have seen references to both speeds from different sources so I am not sure which one to believe, this is the standard 120 without power chuck.

Also, do you happen to know the dimensions of the spindle bore? I know the draw tube is 20.7mm ID but there is a larger ID at the back which I do not have accurate ID measuring tools to find it, only calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, that saves me a headache and a bit of cash then . Is there no problem at all running the motor above its max rating?

I have two more questions you may be able to answer. Is the max rpm rating of the spindle itself 4000rpm or 6000rpm? I have seen references to both speeds from different sources so I am not sure which one to believe, this is the standard 120 without power chuck.

Also, do you happen to know the dimensions of the spindle bore? I know the draw tube is 20.7mm ID but there is a larger ID at the back which I do not have accurate ID measuring tools to find it, only calipers.

I have Emco 220 P, in manual say that max RPM is 6300 , so I went to see what will happen when I try to reach it and vibrations start to increase so I concluded it is better to limit it to 4100. Originaly motor was DC and 4.4 Kw and I use 1.5 KW AC 3 phase, so my motor is little weak but I can use it. Guy that was selling machine had 5 meter bar loader so for that kind of things you realy need big motor, I manage to use 1.5 kw but I saw some situations where more poewr would be good , at leas 3 KW.

Theoretically for use of VFD you should use motor which is constructed for use with VFD which have better insulation on wingdings for higher voltage but other then that if you are not gona use more then 6000 RPM there should be not problems , I rarely go under 1000 RPM so cooling is present all the time, I thought that maybe that will be problematic but it is not, from my experience there is no problems other then to have perfectly balance spindle for such high RPM.
    On my 220 P bore is 25.5 mm, for 120 I do not know.

Also google for "vfd shaft current problems", you need to install some kind of protection otherwise your bearings will be damaged in motor.
    This is my thread, you will find there my DIY shaft current protection https://www.cnczone.com/forums/verti...86042-cnc.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zmajmr View Post
    I have Emco 220 P, in manual say that max RPM is 6300 , so I went to see what will happen when I try to reach it and vibrations start to increase so I concluded it is better to limit it to 4100. Originaly motor was DC and 4.4 Kw and I use 1.5 KW AC 3 phase, so my motor is little weak but I can use it. Guy that was selling machine had 5 meter bar loader so for that kind of things you realy need big motor, I manage to use 1.5 kw but I saw some situations where more poewr would be good , at leas 3 KW.

Theoretically for use of VFD you should use motor which is constructed for use with VFD which have better insulation on wingdings for higher voltage but other then that if you are not gona use more then 6000 RPM there should be not problems , I rarely go under 1000 RPM so cooling is present all the time, I thought that maybe that will be problematic but it is not, from my experience there is no problems other then to have perfectly balance spindle for such high RPM.
    On my 220 P bore is 25.5 mm, for 120 I do not know.

Also google for "vfd shaft current problems", you need to install some kind of protection otherwise your bearings will be damaged in motor.
    This is my thread, you will find there my DIY shaft current protection https://www.cnczone.com/forums/verti...86042-cnc.html
    Thanks for the heads up, I will read through your thread this evening.

The 220 is the same iron I believe? What's the hardest material you think these things can turn? I've only used it on stainless so far, which it handles easily. I need to run some stuff in en19t (4140 or 4340 I think).

It's a great little lathe anyway, I love it. As said mine was already retrofit when I bought it, it has a no frills Chinese SZGH controller which seems to work well. The X, Z and spindle motors are all encoded, I use it for rigid tapping which it does very neatly. I have some changes I want to make, including a through coolant manifold and possibly automating the tailstock. I will share more info on it when I have chance.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the heads up, I will read through your thread this evening.

The 220 is the same iron I believe? What's the hardest material you think these things can turn? I've only used it on stainless so far, which it handles easily. I need to run some stuff in en19t (4140 or 4340 I think).

It's a great little lathe anyway, I love it. As said mine was already retrofit when I bought it, it has a no frills Chinese SZGH controller which seems to work well. The X, Z and spindle motors are all encoded, I use it for rigid tapping which it does very neatly. I have some changes I want to make, including a through coolant manifold and possibly automating the tailstock. I will share more info on it when I have chance. Yes it is great little machine, iron base is same as on 120 , probably head stock (bearing and spindle are different).

I turned, stainless steel, titanium grade 5, aluminum, plastic and once hardened collet from collet chuck, so it can turn lot of different materials, you just need to have right tool. I also processed tail stock in my topic It is same iron , only headstock setup is different , there is few versions with different type of bearings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dear mach take input ( We have to define what to do with that input.)

Do you have completed your fitting..?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I guess you know the the turret only rotates CCW to find a tool, once it has a tool it will rotate forward CW a small amount to lock
    Hello
    I want to use Mach 3 for emco machine, I need a scrip for tool changer with original dcmotor

Downloads
    Uploads

hello
    have a 120 with TM02 i'm hoping to convert to linuxcnc.
    is there any reason not to use the original stepper controllers (emco RD3413001)?
    do you have any spare toolerator3000 pcb for sale?
    i'm in uk.
    thanks
    hugh

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234