Emcoturn 120 retrofit - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emcoturn 120 retrofit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Emcoturn 120 retrofit

Hi Frederic, I saw your post and Im happy to see your progress. Your work is part of the reason I decided it would be possible to do it with all of the reference material available and a lot of help from people around the world. Keep up the good work and post anything from your work you feel Im missing. I am working now to ge tthe computer straight so a lot of work on another forum trying to get a grasp on linuxcnc. I have built a working thumbdrive with puppy linux and I want to play with that a little before adding the cnc portion to the mix. Its a lot to learn its good that I enjoy challenges...

Last edited by CincyTJ; 04-30-2016 at 11:09 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I made the decision to use linuxcnc for the lathe. linux is quite a departure from windows, so its been a little bit of a learning curve so far. all the fancy drag and drop and double clicks have to be mostly typed in linux, so its been a challenge. Good thing is there are a ton of people who are willing to slug through it with me so in a way its kinda fun.

so far I have the linuxcnc (debian) loaded on the dell fx170, I ordered a memory card for it and of course I got the wrong orientation, it plugs in but I cant put the case cover back on. at this point thats OK, and it may be OK forever as this will be enclosed in a control box anyway.

I then loaded the arduino software on the linux, with that I pulled the toolerator3000.ino file from the makers site and compiled it, then loaded it into the arduino nano on the toolerator3000 pcba, so that is now complete.

I had to do a lot of backflips to finally get the toolerator run files onto the linuxcnc box, everystep required a prestep to allow the next step so each one was like its own little project, but the toolerator3000 hal file was compiled and loaded.

I ordered a MESA 7i76e i/o card this weekend. with that I will be able to configure the linuxcnc to talk to the stepper controllers, the vfd running the spindle, the axis stop switches, the auto oiler system, the spindle encoder, and the e-stop, plus 20 or so other things if I want door switches and such. really an economical way to combine a lot of functions.

I dont have a cabinet yet, so I may screw some din rails to a peice of plywood and start laying out the system and bringing up subsystems, I think the first will be to cycle the toolchanger, which is still the biggest unknown right now. Anyway, should be some pictures this week with some of the bringing together of components.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi, some progress on the emcoturn 120. I powered up the toolerator3000 and toolchanger and was able to get the toolchanger to index one position by pushing snap switch 2 on the toolerator3000 pcba. It works great. So I am working on reassembling the lathe now. I have reinstalled the toolchanger and the way covers as well as the right and left walls and the distribution box. Im going to gut the distro box and use those din rails and terminal blocks in my main control which will be just below the distro box. I posted a video of the toolchanger cycling. This was mu biggest worry as the axis and motor I have done similar before. I do want to adapt the spindle to use a differential encoder with an index. I can either buy a used encoder, looking at a couple allen-bradleys and I can also rebuild the emco encoder PCB with a differential pair, I will see how that looks, it has bad bearing so Im thinking wholesale replacement will likely be the easier route.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-imag3596s-jpg  
    Last edited by CincyTJ; 05-22-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up getting a used encoder from Ebay. I will need to adapt the mount and pulley from the Emco encoder. This one will have two channels and an index which should work with the MESA card to give very good speed and position information. picture is not great sorry, its from the auction.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-bei-encoder-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

received my control cabinet yesterday. I put it together today and mounted it on the side of the lathe cabinet. At the last minute I bought the 4 inch taller one figuring the extra room would help reduce clutter, turns out I forgot the bigger one doesn't fit under the lathe table. So I put it on the side. Its a little better access there and I can mount my monitor arm and the e-stop and USB port there, so I think in the end its better anyway.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-imag0001-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Pilot View Post
    The one on top holds a tool eye. The ones on the bottom, are probably for securing a lever for an optional manually actuated collet chuck. These can be removed, but will expose the inside of the spindle, so should be cleaned.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

this weekend:
    1. drilled the through hole for the cables, I think I will use this one for the high power cables only and drill another for the low power/signal cables. Im using cat6A shielded cable for all of the signal runs but I still think its wise to separate the high power from the signal runs.
    2. bent a piece of .060 sheet metal for a back wall to mount components, for service I should be able to pull this entire sheet with all components mounted on it, dont know if its necessary but it also keeps the mount screws from going through the box and into the lathe leg. This is common for e-boxes and seems a good strategy.
    3. I have a stack of parts from the Emco control, unfortunately they are sized for 400V so I cant use some of them because they are too small amp rating. The terminal blocks, the 6A 3 pole breaker, e-stop button, and the 25A fuses in the ceramic holders will be used. The motor contactor is too small but I found a 10HP contactor on ebay for $30 shipped, so that will be my safety cutoff.
    4. mounted e-stop button
    5. once its all figured out Ill pull this back sheet and paint it.
    6. still need to figure out how to turn on the computer from the outside. I dont want to solder switch leads onto the computer PCBA so I want to find a mechanical solution to push the FX170 power button from the outside.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160528_091259s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160528_091251s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160528_091222s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160530_101938s-jpg  

Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160528_100907s-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

been working with the guys over at Linuxcnc forum. this is the latest power wire diagram. I also was able to get out in the shop and mount some of the terminal blocks and the huge motor starter. I only had about 14 inches of din rail from the lathe, I have more coming. Plus the terminals blocks in the control and the lathe were all different din sizes. Anyway thats why it looks a little piecemeal.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-powerlayout3-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160602_211547s-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ran most of the power wires today. It looks a mess but I will jacket all of the loose runs that are there now. Removed the big contactor (24vdc psu doesnt have enough output to trigger it) and stole the piece of din rail to mount the 3amp double pole breaker and the outlet which arrived yesterday this let me wire the 24vdc psu and the computer, which I also mounted using a short piece of 1x1 aluminum tube. I need to make a mount for the mesa board, and then figure out all of the control wires. I have a 240V plug coming but I will still need to wire an outlet in the garage for 4 wire and get an extension cord to go from the wall outlet to the lathe plug. Still lots to do. I also need to wait for the encoder plug and make that wire, along with a shaft adapter and modified mount.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160604_181829s-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sunday I made a shaft adapter. since the difference is not enough to put in a set screw I just ended up splitting it to use the pulley set screw for both diameters. this doesn't have a lot of torque on it so it should be fine. The mounting bracket will have to be remade. Im looking for a decent shareware 2D cad package so I can do this at home, I can do it in Solidworks or Pro/E Creo at work but at home I'm limited to Cambam which I don't like very much as a drawing package.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160605_110412s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160605_110401s-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

got a little more done last night. I got 5 packages of parts so I was able to do more on the power wiring. I added the inlet plug and the main breaker as well as mounting the new longer din rail for the 3A breaker and the 110vac power outlet. The tangle of commons and grounds at the power block will get re-cut in the future once everything is placed in its final spot. I also have wrap for most of the runs courtesy of the emco I will be adding at the end

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160606_210231s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160606_210243s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160606_210255s-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

worked a little bit on the encoder plate while I wait for more control parts. I cut the hole for the encoder locating bore. Likely I will just do the rest with the manual bridgeport and with a transfer punch, I dont have a mill cutter small enough to do a proper cnc cut and Im wanting to get this done so the old fashioned way will have to do.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160610_210908s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160610_210915s-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

got the encoder mount plate finished. It interfered slightly with an ear on the lathe, rather than cut the lathe spindle housing I notched the BEI encoder just enough to give good belt tension. Once mounted it works good, I did remove it again and shorten the screws, the belt drifts in and rides on the spindle plate, but it did this before as well. Doesn't seem to effect anything.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160611_120706s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160611_122309s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160611_122613s-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

worked on a couple things today. I used one of the many extra cables from the emco to make a new encoder cable. The BEI encoder had a 7 pin military style connector, I found a new mate and soldered the connector and mounted it. I also flipped the wire box on the spindle motor as it was close to the Z-axis stepper travel envelope, now its zero problem. I also figured out a way to turn on the Dell computer from outside the control box. The green button is a standard industrial control button, (actually a $2 chinese copy) I removed the switch and turned a dowel rod to fit tight in the back of the button. It has a very small travel and with a belt sander I modified the length to just push the on button on the dell at the end of the green button travel. Works very nice.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160612_170650s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160612_170700s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160612_184746s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160612_184759s-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

haven't had time to get out to the shop. But I have ordered a few more components. Here is an updated control cabinet layout with line reactors, emi filter, resistive brake, cabinet fan and updated layout per my weeks of assembly. I may end up moving the brake as it would be a bump hazard if it sticks out that far. I was hoping to place it over the cabinet air exit to give it some moving air but I may have to change that plan so it will fit through a 3ft door.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-new-layout-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

received the VFD a few days ago, its HUGE. the VFD is now causing quite a shakup. heres the 3D and the real (now a mess) Im going to add a wall so I can move the toolerator and the mesa card onto the wall for added space. I will likely pack all the 35mm DIN parts on one DIN rail now too. I may have to scrap the emco contacts for some that will fit on 35mm DIN rail as well to compress everything.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160623_191625s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-new-layout2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

new plan, looks like moving the VFD to the back of the lathe main enclosure is the best idea. I will attach it half way up this panel and fabricate a splash shield to be doubly sure the coolant cant make it into the VFD. Makes the control enclosure layout much cleaner and less crowded as well. Ignore the spaghetti wires those are pulled and laying about from the old layout.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160625_114124s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160625_114002s-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

haven't posted for a while. The shake up with the gigantic VFD is pretty much settled. The VFD was moved to the inside wall of the right side rear panel. Along with the VFD the EMI filter and 2 phase reactors also were relocated. I didn't have sleeves for the flex conduit but will add them. This made the control cabinet a lot more efficient. The Mesa 7i76e PCB mounting was done by using the phoenix snap stands, I cut the snap from 2 and the clip form 2 and put them top and bottom using 2 din rails to snap it in place. I also received a few spools of 12awg and 16awg machine wire with correct colors so I also rewired and added some more wire duct. I relocated the 24vdc psu down to the din rail as well. I like this layout much better. I started running some of the control wires now that all of the power wires are pretty much done. Next step is to get the spindle encoder working. Once that is working I can finish assembling the lathe cabinet.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160703_184813s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160704_100610s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160704_100600s-jpg   Emcoturn 120 retrofit-20160704_171048s-jpg  

Last edited by CincyTJ; 07-05-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was able to get the toolchanger working. over the past couple weeks its been quite a battle learning and implementing the programming to make the toolchanger turn on command T1 M6. I got that working 2 days ago. then spent another couple days getting it to work with buttons on GUI. But success last night.

Downloads
    Uploads

If not a ton of trouble, could I see a picture of the backside of the machine showing where the lube lines go? I have a 120 with manual lube points and am considering switching to auto lube. Thanks, Marty

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast