Testing 2560 board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing 2560 board

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Testing 2560 board

Is there an FAQ link that any of you know that would show how to test the 2560 board of my 3D printer.
    Symptoms are the extruder stepper motor is not working. I replaced the stepper driver that did not fix the problem.
    I am stuck as I am not sure what or how to test the next potential culprit.
    Any hints or links would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Testing 2560 board

Try swapping driver and motor from another axis, if that does not work it is likely a bad controller or a loose cable from controller to driver

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I did do that and it worked.
    Then I replaced the stepper driver and it still did not work.
    I am now trying figure out do I need a new board or something else.

Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

Rover31,
    If you swapped driver and motor with another axis and it worked, it worked which way. You mean it worked meaning the Servo/Driver you wanted to test worked on another axis? OR the bad axis works fine with the swapped motor/driver?

I am going to assume you swapped the motor/driver pair and they worked when attached to another axis.

If that is the case start following the wires from the servo motor to the servo driver. Make sure nothing came loose, sometimes the plugs and get loose. Then follow the wires from the driver to the cnc controller. That is where the signals come from to tell the driver/motor pair what to do. Also check the voltage at the driver there is usually a power cable to each driver and see if you have the correct power.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry need to be more clear, let me back up,
    The extruder motor was not fully functioning, sometimes it would work most of the time it will not.

I unplugged the extruder motor and plugged it into the x axis stepper driver. It worked!
    If I plugged the x axis motor into the extruder stepper driver it did not work.
    I then replaced the extruder stepper driver and that did not solve the problem.

Something likely related but not repeatable is that sometimes when I turn the unit on it will not function, it will not move on any axis. Turn it off, walk away come back and it works fine.
    I am very suspicious of the board. Power to the drivers shows correct volts so I do think the power supply is ok, I could be wrong.

So if there is a faq on test steps for the board or the power supply point me to them as I have searched for months and am not finding a step by step test method.

Thanks again!

Downloads
    Uploads

Rover31,

This sounds like the controller board is flaky and not working all the time. Since it does not work all the time when you turn this on this could be power regulators on the controller board. Need to see a picture but that would be my guess.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree,
    How do I go about testing the power regulators? I am seeing several things online but was hoping to get pointed to a more focused test that pertains to 2560 boards.

Thanks again!

Downloads
    Uploads

Post a picture of the controller board a close up view so you can see all the components on the board. You will need a VOM or volt meter to perform some tests on the power regulators. I can explain where to test when you post a picture.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

how is this view?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Testing 2560 board-img_6996-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Well the driver boards are clearly on the right side of the board. The regulators are actually underneath the ribbon cable. You see the aluminum heat sinks standing proud of the board just under the ribbon cable. The parts mounted on those aluminum finned heat sinks are the regulators. Take a close up picture of those and I can tell you what you can do to these them. Make sure the power is off when you are in there taking pictures and moving cables, you don't want to short anything out.

RUss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How about this one?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Testing 2560 board-img_6997-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

There appears to be three regulators one on each aluminum heat sink.

Can you get a side shot or can you read the numbers on the first part, it should be printed on the black device and the device normally has three pins that are solder into the board.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like you have your extruder driver drv8825 board plugged in backwards.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by george4657 View Post
    It looks like you have your extruder driver drv8825 board plugged in backwards.
    I did plug it in with the regulator in the same position, that is not correct?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

like this pic does that help?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Testing 2560 board-img_6999-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you look at his page http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/GT2560
    You will see that the adjustment for current setting of the drv8825 is at the oppsite to a4988 drivers.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hmm I see said the blind man...

That is a great page, lots of good info.
    Thank you for the pointer, I will report the results, that is if I have not fried something.

I have in fact, looked at replacing my board with that very gt2560 board, it looks quite nice.

Thank you

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

10 min later...
    Ok so unit is unplugged
    flip the driver over...
    plug in and power up...
    and ... no change, the extruder is not moving. All other axis function as they should.

So I think, well maybe I fried the driver. I have another! So, depower and unplug. Remove the 1st replacement and install #2 (correctly!).
    And... nope it doesn't work either. This time the rest of the axis decide they don't want to play either. No movement, the motors are making noise like they want to move but are not.

This is what it does to me with no warning.....

ARGH! What is going on?

oh Thank you again for taking the time to read and make suggestions

Downloads
    Uploads

Rover31,

The part in the last picture is a STMicroelectronics P55NF06L, which is a 55 Amp Power MosFet. This part probably is used to provide the current to the heater in the extruder would be my guess. I can't see the writing on the other two parts that is probably the regulators. If you can get a small mirror and write down those part numbers I can find out. Since you reverse a driver on the control board you probably damaged something on the control board would be my guess. However, if this stopped working before you touched the inside and does the same behavior after you went inside you might not have caused the damage by reversing the board.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

After looking at the website that George4657 posted the link to, the three parts with Aluminum heat sinks are all Power MosFets, one controls the current to the Hot Bed, Extruder Heater#1, Extruder#2

None of these parts are voltage regulators. Most likely the regulators are not bad or the other stepper motors would never move.

Russ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast