Understanding EDM GCODE - XYUV

Thread: Understanding EDM GCODE - XYUV

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Understanding EDM GCODE - XYUV

Hi all,

My first post here. I hope this post is on topic enough for the EDM forum.

I've recently built a hot wire foam cutter that I'm trying to drive with GCODE generated for a EDM machine to do some complex foam cuts. As a compsci major writing a post processor isn't a problem. However what I lack is understand of the gcode generated by my CAM tool, and how that relates to what I have built.

Attached is the output file from the CAM software that I have.
    X and Y seem to be straight forward, they plot the contour of the wing profile that I'd like to cut, however I don't understand how U and V relate to that. Is that very machine dependent?

My hot wire cutter setup:
    X: left horizontal axis
    Y: left vertical axis
    U: right horizontal axis
    V: right vertical axis

Once I understand what the CAM generated GCODE is trying to do with U and V I will be able to create my own post processor to massage it into a format that my controller can use.

Thank you for your time and attention : )