Need Help! I thought it was Noise that caused my runaway... Old and confused

Thread: I thought it was Noise that caused my runaway... Old and confused

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I thought it was Noise that caused my runaway... Old and confused

Using Parker Servos and kanalog/kflop +/- 10 volt analog setup for years, but recently on power up, the mills 3 axis's all take off (~ 20 inches a minute) in the negative direction till hard stops hit servos fault.

Spending time using an o-scope I looked for maybe a stray voltage or freq that would disrupt the controls. Then eliminated what I thought might be the issue, a power wire for the computer and monitor seemed suspect. But no luck.

But found that if I disconnect the plug in power to the kflop board that drives stayed stable on power up. But if I apply power directly or use the USB cable (with the jumper applied) as soon as the board was online the runaway starts. I tried first replacing the kflop board and then the power supply but same effect. Have to assume it is something on the kanalog board has gotten damaged. Just not sure how or why.

I'd removed all connection wires and reinserted, tightened anything that could be suspect, and using DMV checked all connection wiring's routing, but to no avail, all leads to same result when power is applied. Guess i'm not sure what else to suspect other that a damaged board.

Am I looking at the issue wrong? Does the board need a good bath, could there be buildup that's causing the issue? Cant imagine it just failing.

Mac

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I thought it was Noise that caused my runaway... Old and confused

Do you have a stuck limit switch possibly?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Try disabling them and see if the problem persists.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ya-Nvr-No View Post
    Using Parker Servos and kanalog/kflop +/- 10 volt analog setup for years, but recently on power up, the mills 3 axis's all take off (~ 20 inches a minute) in the negative direction till hard stops hit servos fault.

Spending time using an o-scope I looked for maybe a stray voltage or freq that would disrupt the controls. Then eliminated what I thought might be the issue, a power wire for the computer and monitor seemed suspect. But no luck.

But found that if I disconnect the plug in power to the kflop board that drives stayed stable on power up. But if I apply power directly or use the USB cable (with the jumper applied) as soon as the board was online the runaway starts. I tried first replacing the kflop board and then the power supply but same effect. Have to assume it is something on the kanalog board has gotten damaged. Just not sure how or why.

I'd removed all connection wires and reinserted, tightened anything that could be suspect, and using DMV checked all connection wiring's routing, but to no avail, all leads to same result when power is applied. Guess i'm not sure what else to suspect other that a damaged board.

Am I looking at the issue wrong? Does the board need a good bath, could there be buildup that's causing the issue? Cant imagine it just failing.

Mac
    Usually when there is a movement like this it is caused by Encoder fault or cables

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

As far as the switches they are all Prox and they all work fine and if removed from the distribution box no difference in effects

I can power the encoders without powering the servo and can check the encoders all show 4000 per revolution of shafts.
    While watching in kmotion.exe axis screen verifies my readings.

Though I did find that my input 143 is not updating, thou i know the board is getting the 24 volt signal.

All other switches are seeing their respective states. and i am using them all 8 or trying too.

Tried removing the limits switch settings data in the C-Program and no luck there either.
    Comes back to me believing that the board has an issue.

Thanks for the quick responses and ideas I could try, eliminate and learn more from. Hand not noticed the Digital I/O issue with 143

Mac

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mac,

You might test the Kanalog DACs. Power up KFLOP/Kanalog and do not configure or enable anything. Does the Kanalog Enabled LED come on? You might leave motor power/amps off. Check your DAC Output voltages with a Voltmeter. They should be near zero. Then command various DAC commands on the KMotion.exe Console Screen. ie DAC0=-200 should command about +1V DAC0=-2047 shoudl command about 10V. DAC0=2047 should command -10V.

HTH

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

HTH

Yes the Led on Kanalog board comes on, reading on voltages are all at 0.51vdc and does not matter what dac# =value I send them, no change on readings.

Regards
    Mac

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mac,

That would indicate a bad Kanalog. Is the ribbon cable between KFLOP and Kanalog damaged or not fully inserted? Any contamination on the board?

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tom

I received my new replacement board today, had everything already pre cut and ready for installation, and sure enough it is alive again all functions and limits are working.

Have to assume it was an issue with the board as id checked the cables and jumpers, all seemed to be inserted well.
    But I sure would not know how to inspect a board as to me it looked a little suspect with a slight fuzz.

Speaking of cables I had to use my old RJ45 jumper as the new one seemed awful short and made me concerned on stress on the kflop board.

Thanks for the quick responses on the forum and fast service getting me my new board out so quick.
    You probably never new I ordered a replacement, cant be down too long don't ya know?
    Gave me a new lesson, and expense I never new I needed.
    and gave me time to document some needed wiring and change to some color coded wires for easier tracing.

Still Love Dynomotion I have several, love my 6 axis lathe/mill
    Regards
    Mac