Need Help! Tool offset troubles

Thread: Tool offset troubles

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool offset troubles

hi to everybody,
    my goal is to use KmotionCNC for lathe control and I realized how confused my knowledge on the Tool Offset issue is. Therefore:

The offset value of each tool to which zero is it referred? Machine zero? If so, I have another problem: my lathe is completely self-built so there is no "Machine Zero pre assigned by the manufacturer" and I don't have a well defined point whose coordinates I know with respect to Machine Zero. Can it be in any position of the lathe axes?

In the KmotionCNC ToolFile, at the offset columns, I note that only the X and Y axes are present while I should set X and Z: should the "Length" column be used for the Z offset?

thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tool offset troubles

Tom please can you at least give me the answer regarding the KmotionCNC ToolTable

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi geppo_it,

GCode offsets are complicated and a number of approaches can be used.

You can probably use any reference as long as it is consistent.

It also depends on your requirements and work flow. Do you expect to change tools and not "touch off" the tool?

You might read through this Thread.

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tom
    I will read that thread carefully. What about the Z offset? Do I have to write it on "Length" column as for a mill?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi geppo_it,

What about the Z offset? Do I have to write it on "Length" column as for a mill?
    yes

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

good day Tom,
    i read the thread you recommended and i think i will follow the advice mmurray70 gave for calculating tool offsets. Problems now are:

1) in KMCNC I have a Homing button but my C program just zeroing X-Z Dro: how can i reset the machine coordinates?
    2) using the C program proposed by mmurray70 (ToolTableSetRev1.c.txt), if I well understood, every time I switch on the lathe I need to refer the Z lenght again... is it correct?
    3) in that C program is set Z lenght only but the lathe need to refer X also, what I must to do?

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

1) in KMCNC I have a Homing button but my C program just zeroing X-Z Dro: how can i reset the machine coordinates?
    You can use:

Zero(x);

to zero the machine coordinates in KFLOP where x is the KFLOP Axis number.

2) using the C program proposed by mmurray70 (ToolTableSetRev1.c.txt), if I well understood, every time I switch on the lathe I need to refer the Z lenght again... is it correct?
    I'm not sure. If you have accurate homing it may not be necessary.

3) in that C program is set Z lenght only but the lathe need to refer X also, what I must to do?
    Again it depends on your work flow and how your machine works. Does your machine have multiple tool holders? The simplest method is to touch off the tool to the stock every time you switch tools. Otherwise a scheme is required to determine the location of the stock and the difference between tool holders and so forth.

Regards