Loose connection between screw terminals and kanalog board?

Thread: Loose connection between screw terminals and kanalog board?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Loose connection between screw terminals and kanalog board?

Hi Tom,

Have you ever had any issues with the connections between the screw terminals and kanalog board? Or maybe the connection between Kflop and Kanalog?

My spindle override knob started acting funny today. Bouncing around all over the place. Analog voltage in kmotion showing low, but I verified higher voltage at the screw terminal, and wire was tight. Lightly tapping the chassis where Kanalog/Kflop is mounted seemed to make the problem come and go. I just removed the screw terminal block and reseated it and seems ok so far. Is it likely that the problem is between the terminal block and the board? Could it be between Kanalog and Kflop or is it less likely to be that connection?

I wonder if this was the same trouble I was having with my Y axis encoder input a while ago? Would it be a bad idea to remove the terminal blocks and solder wires directly to the pins?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Loose connection between screw terminals and kanalog board?

Is the control box where all this stuff is located subject to vibration when you run the machine? That would account for the terminal screws working loose. Before soldering everything together, I'd try red Loctite first; it's easier to break loose when you want to change things.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Is the control box where all this stuff is located subject to vibration when you run the machine? That would account for the terminal screws working loose. Before soldering everything together, I'd try red Loctite first; it's easier to break loose when you want to change things.
    The screw was still tight. Its the connection between the screw terminal block and board that im wondering about, this just slides on over some pins. I guess there is some minor vibration on the machine but its the original enclosure that came with the machine, its pretty solid.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Murray,

I'm not aware of any issues. Those terminals plug on very tightly and are rated for high currents.

The connector to KFLOP has lots of data multiplexed through it. A bad connection would likely cause many things not to work. Not just one ADC signal.

If you have a hard failure it should be fairly straightforward to locate the problem. Measure the voltage on the screw terminal and on the board.

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Tom, I will keep an eye on it and post back if I see any other problem.