Kflop controlling ultrasonic welder...

Thread: Kflop controlling ultrasonic welder...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Kflop controlling ultrasonic welder...

Hi Tom,

One of my customers has an automated ultrasonic welder. We built a control for it using a stepper, gecko drive and Turbocnc about 8 or 9 years ago. Turbocnc was obsolete then, and even more so now so we would like to update the system and run it with Kflop. Probably overkill but id rather stick to what Im used too.

So just wondering what hardware we should use? I dont know much about driving steppers with your boards. Do I need a kstep or snapamp or can I get by just with kflop and use the existing gecko drive? I need to drive one stepper, need at least 2 inputs, at least 2 outputs. Some extra I/O would be nice for future expansion. I have a 67VDC power supply, and the gecko can be reused or replaced. Let me know what you think.

Mark

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Kflop controlling ultrasonic welder...

Hi Mark,

Geckos are great Stepper Drives and can be driven from KFLOP with Step/Direction Outputs. I’d recommend you keep them.

You might add a Konnect for other IO.

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tom,

Ok sounds good, I will use a Konnect for I/O, never know what we might add so good to have room for expansion.

So whats the best way to make a connection from Kflop to the Gecko? Can I just use a ribbon cable on JP7 and separate the wires im using and connect these directly to the gecko? Like this old picture: https://www.dynomotion.com/Help/Step...pDirLayout.jpg

Does this jp7 cable come with kflop?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mark,

An unshielded ribbon cable should work if not too long and not excessive noise. The opto couplers in the Gecko are not super fast and take some current so higher frequency noise is not normally an issue.

JP7 ribbon cable is not normally included. If you ask with your order and tell us the length we could include a connector/cable for you. Otherwise see our wiki here.

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com