Thread: Lagun FTV3

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lagun FTV3

New kflop and Im back in action! Now to continue tuning

Downloads
    Uploads

Tuning coming up, current problem is encoders.
    I cant seem to get the z axis encoder to read anything in kmotion. X and Y encoders work perfect
    X axis encoder has A+A-B+B-Z+Z-
    Y axis encoder only has A+B+Z+
    Z axis encoder only has A+B+Z +

I took the y axis encoder all a apart. Same model # as X axis and same 8 connecters on the outside but inside its only wired or 5 options. +\- and ABZ. The Z axis encoder is wired the same way,and installed on the kanalog the same way.
    Z encoder KAnalog
    A+ to A2+
    B+ to B2+
    Z+ to A5+

Measuring Z axis encoder voltage from 5v+ to A+B+Z+ is all 0.15v the same as measuring Y axis encoder. I think the z axis encoder is fine, Im probably not doing something correctly or I missed a step that I did for Y axis

Downloads
    Uploads

Check the voltage from A+ to -5V or common as you turn the encoder very very slowly. The voltage should go from near 0 to about 5V as the encoder sends pulses. Then do the same with B+. And with Z+, but Z only has one pulse per encoder revolution so sometimes is a bit hard to find.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jim Thanks for the reply!
    5v+ to Common is 4.9v
    Measuring Common to A+ checks out and B+ Checks out. Voltage varies with rotation. Measuring Z+ is a solid 4.8v. Measured the Y Axis and it reads identical Z+ is solid 4.8v. I think that rules out the encoder?
    I did not have the Z encoder hooked up to anything when I shorted the kflop earlier.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like the encoder is working. Maybe a setting in the software? Is there a way to read the raw encoder input in the software?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for helping!
    I was just looking in the "Axis" screen up in Kmotion. I probably didnt get a couple settings right? Dont think I did anything or the other two encoders.Maybe Tom can help?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yup, this sounds like a question for Tom. Assuming the signal is getting to the board, then it's a matter of whatever magic is happening beyond the connection point.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I measured at the kanalog board terminals too and its the same measurement as on the encoder

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jeepguy,

A differential encoder must be connected to Kanalog's differential encoder inputs. See our FAQs here and here.

You can purchase 3rd party cables/modules to convert single ended signals to differential.

Usually leaving the complementary signals unconnected and floating will cause the encoder position to be erratic rather than not counting at all so you may also have a configuration problem also. If the Axis Screen Position values don't count properly check if the Axis is properly configured as Input Mode Encoder and the InputChan0 is set appropriately for where the encoder is connected.

Note you can also observe the A B signals coming into KFLOP on the Digital IO Screen to check if they are toggling. For example if the Z encoder is connected to A2+ A2- B2+ B2- then KFLOP IO Bits 4 and 5 should toggle.

Its also important to avoid configuring the KFLOP encoder inputs as outputs.

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Z axis is single ended.
    Y axis is single ended.
    I have A+B+ and Z+ hooked up to the kanalog
    In the configuration screen Channel 2 is my z axis, set to encoder. InputChan0 is set to 2
    My Y axis encoder is working just fine. Turing it by hand and watching the kflop digital i/o i can see #2 and #3 enc 1A and 1B toggeling on and off,
    Turing my Z axis by hand and watching the digital i/o #4 enc2A stays solid and does not flash. #5 enc2B will toggle.
    #6 enc3A is on? There is nothing wired in to #3, On my Axis screen axis #3 and #7 have gone to -1 position?

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe I have my Y axis encoder wired wrong, but it seems pretty stable and doesnt jump count.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jeepguy,

Z axis is single ended.
    Y axis is single ended.
    single ended encoders should not be connected to Kanalog.

My Y axis encoder is working just fine.
    It probably won't work reliably. To be within specification the + and - inputs must have > 0.2V differential positive and negative. With a floating input it is likely to be nearly zero. I'm always surprised it sort of works at all. I'm guessing it is the parasitic capacitance of the input and the hysteresis of the receiver input (AM26LS32A).

Turing my Z axis by hand and watching the digital i/o #4 enc2A stays solid
    It could be not changing because you aren't driving the differential input correctly or there could be some other problem. To test the input, cabling, and configuration connect your differential encoder up to A2+ A2- B2+ B2- to see if IO Bit 4 then toggles correctly and the encoder position #2 counts correctly.

Note if you want to use the single ended encoders they can be connected to KFLOP's single ended encoder inputs directly. For example into KFLOP JP5 pins 1 and 2 as encoder input #4

HTH

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! Very helpful.
    I get it now,by some miracle, I was able to get Y axis single ended encoder to work when it shouldn't have. What helps add to all the confusion is that all three encoders are the same model and "labeled" for A+/-B+/-Z+/-. X axis encoder is wired for differential but the other two, even with their label are wired for single ended. Only helps to confuse the rookie. Im going to disassemble the encoders and compare them tomorrow and see if they can be wired up all as differentials. If not, then I will look for the after market single ended signals to differential converters.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is what you need. Make sure you order the correct parts and a cable.
    https://www.usdigital.com/products/a.../interfaces/EA

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Tom,
    Im working on the limit switches. I was going to run 24v to the kanalog board for the limit switches. I measured with the voltmeter and Im getting 25.8v. Is that safe or should I use maybe 12v?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jeepguy,

Below 26V should be ok. But seems high for a 24V supply.

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

How confident are you the voltmeter is accurate?

I've got a not that cheap voltmeter that reads high when it's internal battery starts to go flat. I only realised one day when I was checking a vehicles charging, and thought something was wrong with the alternator as it was showing over 16V. I only realised it was the multimeter once I stopped the vehicle and battery voltage still held above 14V. Swapping to another multimeter got me some more believable readings.
    Putting a new battery in the multimeter brought the readings back to where I'd expect them, but I no longer use that multimeter for anything where I want accurate readings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Measured with my other voltmeter and its the same. Im using the old power 24v power supply. I could use the 24v on the VFD. Measured at the VFD it is exactly 24v. I have all the limit switches wired up and working.

Downloads
    Uploads

In that case, is there no adjustment on the power supply?

Most power supplies have some form of adjustment.

Downloads
    Uploads

Miracle Ive made it this far. I feel like the machine is 90% done and next step is learing all the software. I hate to ask simple silly questions but.......
    Ive got each limit switch wired in individually to Jp15 on Kanalog. Just working on X axis. I have one switch for this axis. its #0 which is bit 136. Its wired NC with the positive lead and the negative from power supply wired directly to - terminal #0. On the Kanalog I/O screen I can see the check mark toggle off when the switch is pressed. That part seems correct.
    I cant figure out how to disable the axis once the switch is hit. In the config screen Positive bit is set to 136. If I open the console screen and jog0=1000 the motor does jog, but I can figure out to stop it with the limit switch. I can stop it with STOP in kmotion or disable in the step responce. Just cant figure out the limit switch. Pretty sure Im just missing something simple.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast