Intro questions - Windows/Kflop/Kanalog and a 17k pound milling machine conversion - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intro questions - Windows/Kflop/Kanalog and a 17k pound milling machine conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Intro questions - Windows/Kflop/Kanalog and a 17k pound milling machine conversio

Thank you Jim, was typing a PM to you and I come back and I see you found my thread.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Intro questions - Windows/Kflop/Kanalog and a 17k pound milling machine conversio

blank

Last edited by Dancy; 09-23-2019 at 12:49 AM. Reason: duplicate

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dancy View Post
    Thank you Jim, was typing a PM to you and I come back and I see you found my thread.
    My pleasure.

As long as the thread was about Dynomotion products, Tom is the one to answer any questions. I was just following along and learning. But when you asked about Galil, that is my universe so I could provide an intelligent answer.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Tom;
    Have you published and step by step guides describing installation and setup of a typical CNC application?

Downloads
    Uploads

There would be no reason to add a Galil DMC 4080 to a Dynomotion system. They both do the same job. It would be redundant. However the DMC-4080 is higher performance and has all of the Kflop/Kanalog features and accessories already built in out of the box. USB, serial, and ethernet interface, 8 axis, 60 I/O, dual encoder inputs on each axis, stepper, PWM, or analog command (selectable for each axis).
    The Galil DMC-4080 is a great product similar to KFLOP with lots of built in IO, but I take exception to it being "higher performance" than KFLOP.

KFLOP's servo update rate is > 2X faster (90us vs 187us) while doing 64-bit floating point vs 32-bit integer math, with User Programs running orders of magnitudes faster, and @ ~1/10th the price

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    The Galil DMC-4080 is a great product similar to KFLOP with lots of built in IO, but I take exception to it being "higher performance" than KFLOP.

KFLOP's servo update rate is > 2X faster (90us vs 187us) while doing 64-bit floating point vs 32-bit integer math, with User Programs running orders of magnitudes faster, and @ ~1/10th the price

I stand corrected

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Im also running a phase converter without any issues. I run a Fadal 4020 and Mazak QT10 off a 35hp converter. Slowing spindle acceleration will make a big difference, i dialed back acceleration on both machines a little. Very noticeable improvement on the lathe.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dancy,

Tom;
    Have you published and step by step guides describing installation and setup of a typical CNC application?
    Step-by-step guides are difficult as each system is different. You are expected to understand the overall process: Interface to your hardware, configure the axes, tune your servos, create an Initialization program for your system, and finally configure KMotionCNC.

For a Kanalog system there are example wiring diagrams on the wiki, general servo tuning procedures, general Kanalog Info, and User build Threads like this.

And of course we are around to help

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

LOL....see! you do have it. (kinda scattered, but there!)

precisely the class of information I was looking for.

This is going to be no small endeavor. This mill currently monitors a (!@#$!%) of things...right down to current overload for the chip conveyor and lube pump timing.

Keshka

Downloads
    Uploads

What I like to do with any new retrofit, is make a spreadsheet that lists all the inputs/outputs needed, along with how they work (i.e. switch to gnd/positive) what voltage they run at.
    Once you have that, you can count up the in/out you need, decide what boards you need, then start mapping in/out to boards.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tom;
    the VK45 makes use of the RS-485 bus to communicate with three devices Hitachi calls "panel slave". Each panel slave can read limit switches and operate relays. One slave for the control panel. One for the tool changer and the last one to what they call the "distribution board" that has approximately 60 relays and a variety of inputs from buttons and switches.

If that bus is something usable, it would save me a ton of re-wiring.

Keshka

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dancy,

You would need to research the protocol. Possibly ModBus? If so, it would most likely be doable. Kanalog has an RS232 port. You would need to obtain an RS232 to RS485 converter.

Regards

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast