Newbie Configuration Question - Step/Dir using Opto Outputs on Konnect Boards

Thread: Configuration Question - Step/Dir using Opto Outputs on Konnect Boards

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Configuration Question - Step/Dir using Opto Outputs on Konnect Boards

Is it possible to direct the Step/Dir output channel to the Opto Outputs on the Konnect board and not use multiplexed JP4, JP6 or JP5 on the KFlop board? (I have attached a Kanalog board to JP7, and have connected the Konnect boards(2) to JP4.)

In the manual under the Configuring Step and Direction Outputs Section it says”
    “The 8 Axes of Step/Dir outputs are "normally hard wired" (quotes mine) to IO bits 8 through 15 on JP7 and IO bits 36 through 43 on JP5. However the first 4 Step/Dir outputs can be multiplexed to connectors JP4 and JP6 if desired. This may be required if JP7 is used for some other purpose such as interfacing to the Kanalog I/O Expander. A global multiplexing bit is used to switch the outputs to the alternate Connectors.”

For my CNC router, I am using six servo drivers/motors that need a 24 volt Step/Dir signal. I prefer the opto isolation provided by the Konnect output ports.

Basically what I wish to accomplish is for a given Axis0, instead of the Step/Direction pulses going to IO bits 8 and 9, on JP7, or IO bits 36 and 37 on JP5, can the pulses be rerouted by configuration or by software to Output bits 48 and 49 on the Konnect board?

Thanks much, Dave S.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Configuration Question - Step/Dir using Opto Outputs on Konnect Boards

Hi Dave,

Is it possible to direct the Step/Dir output channel to the Opto Outputs on the Konnect board and not use multiplexed JP4, JP6 or JP5 on the KFlop board? (I have attached a Kanalog board to JP7, and have connected the Konnect boards(2) to JP4.)
    No. Konnect doesn't have any Step/Dir outputs. The communication to Konnect and optos are too slow to support MHz Step Pulses.

For my CNC router, I am using six servo drivers/motors that need a 24 volt Step/Dir signal. I prefer the opto isolation provided by the Konnect output ports.
    24V Step/Dir signals are not common unless series resistors are added. Can you remove or change resistors to make them 5V? Otherwise external Voltage level drivers would be required.

Most Drives already have opto isolation. What Drives do you have?

Basically what I wish to accomplish is for a given Axis0, instead of the Step/Direction pulses going to IO bits 8 and 9, on JP7, or IO bits 36 and 37 on JP5, can the pulses be rerouted by configuration or by software to Output bits 48 and 49 on the Konnect board?
    That's not possible. If you list all your IO - Analog, Encoders, Step/Dirs, etc and specifications we may be able to help to suggest a solution.

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Configuration Question - Step/Dir using Opto Outputs on Konnect Boards

Hi Tom.
    Reading the forum and then the manual, I see that the scan rate of 180uS for each Konnect board is much too show.
    Yes, the servo drivers have opto isolation built in. Because I now understand that opto isolation is overkill on the controller side, then 5->24v level shifters are in order when using JP5 and JP4 for the 6 axis of step and direction I am planning. (I fried JP6; mentioned in my previous thread.)

So let me start off with the CNC machine I am planning:
    Axis number - 6
    X - Panasonic Driver
    Y1, master to Y2 slave - Panasonic Driver(2)
    Z - DYN4 driver
    A- DYN4 driver
    B - DYN4 driver
    Axis A has a low speed shaft encoder
    Axis Z, A, B have 24 volt brakes controlled by relay

To keep things simple, the Panasonic and DYN4 drivers have DIO for Enable - output, SrvReady and Alarm - input, that I wish to control or monitor via the KFlop. There other digital signals from the drivers for detecting under/over or on destination positioning that I may wish to add later. The encoders for all servo motors are tied to the drivers, however, for positioning accuracy, I am planning a separate encoder to act as a lathe spindle indexer to be monitored by the KFlop.

Additional standard signals include 6 axis of limits and homes as well as EStop.
    Optional signals for accessories - Debris vacuum, blower and vacuum for clamping.

Last, but not least, a spindle with 0-10v speed control.

In summary:
    6 axis - Step/Direction
    1 A,B,Z encoder - Differential 5V Input
    6 enable driver - Output - 24V
    6 SRV Ready - Input - 24V
    6 Alarm - Input - 24V
    6 Over/Under (Panasonic Driver) - Input - 24V
    3 On Position (DYN4 driver) - Input - 24V
    3 Brakes A,B,Z - Output 24V Relay
    I Spindle - analog put 0-10V
    3 Accessories - Output 24V Relay

I think that covers it.

My thinking right now is to:
    1) use JP4 and JP5 for the 6 Step/Direction axis with level shifters
    2) use a Kanalog board for;
    analog out for the spindle
    differential ports for the single encoder
    3) find the rest of the needed DIO on ether the KFlop or the KAnalog board with level shifters as required.

Other advice is greatly appreciated.
    Dave S.

Last edited by Beeker52djs; 08-05-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dave,

I think the Panasonic and DYN4 Drivers accept 5V Step/Dir signals.

Have you considered using the +/-10V Analog interface to those drives? This would make for a more closed loop system with encoder information feeding back to the Controller (KFLOP) and be somewhat more standard and straightforward. This will involve tuning the servos in KFLOP which may or may not be an advantage for you. This would also permit you to use JP4 for Konnect for the additional 24V IO.

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi Dave,

I think the Panasonic and DYN4 Drivers accept 5V Step/Dir signals.
    <Given I am reading the Panasonic driver manual correctly, Step/Dir signals are 12/24v with a minimum of 11.4v. The DYN4 Step/Dir signals are 5 volts with special order 12/24v.
    Therefore, 5-24V line drivers will be needed for the Panasonic driver, and the DYN4 will Step/Dir with 5 volts.>

Have you considered using the +/-10V Analog interface to those drives? This would make for a more closed loop system with encoder information feeding back to the Controller (KFLOP) and be somewhat more standard and straightforward. This will involve tuning the servos in KFLOP which may or may not be an advantage for you. This would also permit you to use JP4 for Konnect for the additional 24V IO.
    <Will consider after other suggestion fail. I am concerned my experience level with tuning the servos is non existent and hope that tuning the servos using the drivers is satisfactory.>

Back from your previous reply, I have worked through a possible solution for my case using only the KFlop and Kanalog boards. In the case of 6 inputs, I am hoping to use the Analog Port to sense digital signals.

6 axis - Step/Direction JP4 +JP5
    1 A,B,Z encoder 3 pairs JP1
    6 enable drivers - Output JP12
    6 SRV Ready - Input JP12
    6 Alarm - Input (2) JP12, (4) JP15
    6 Over/Under (Panasonic Driver) - Input (4) JP15, (2) JP6?
    3 On Position (DYN4 driver) - Input (3) JP6?
    3 Brakes A,B,Z - Output 24V Relay 3 JP8
    I Spindle - analog put 0-10V 1 JP11
    3 Accessories - Output 24V Relay 3 JP8

I hope this makes sense.
    Dave S.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dave,

6 axis - Step/Direction JP4 +JP5
    Should be possible. (4) on JP5 and (1) on JP4 should drive 5V directly. One on JP4 is 3.3V TTL only.

1 A,B,Z encoder 3 pairs JP1
    Yes

6 enable drivers - Output JP12
    JP12 outputs are 3.3V only and not opto isolated so you will need to interface.
    Maybe JP13 opto outputs might work better

6 SRV Ready - Input JP12
    JP12 inputs are 3.3V only and not opto isolated so you will need to interface appropriately.

6 Alarm - Input (2) JP12, (4) JP15
    JP12 inputs are 3.3V only and not opto isolated so you will need to interface appropriately.
    JP15 ok

6 Over/Under (Panasonic Driver) - Input (4) JP15, (2) JP6?
    JP6 inputs are Analog and not isolated. You will need to read ADCs and compare to thresholds.

3 On Position (DYN4 driver) - Input (3) JP6?
    JP6 inputs are Analog and not isolated. You will need to read ADCs and compare to thresholds.

3 Brakes A,B,Z - Output 24V Relay 3 JP8
    ok - please remember to add reverse flyback diodes to any coils.

I Spindle - analog put 0-10V 1 JP11
    ok

3 Accessories - Output 24V Relay 3 JP8
    ok - please remember to add reverse flyback diodes to any coils.

Sounds reasonable to me

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, Tom:

I am doing some further inventory on signal needs and available ports. I find that I forgot 2 limit circuits, Estop, and edge testing.
    Because JP6 on the Kanalog board has available analog ports, I can find a home for the signalsl I missed yesterday.

I did read up on the DYN4 and Panasonic drivers and find that whereas Panasonic can use an analog signal (+-10v) to drive forward
    and reverse motion, but not for position control. However both the DYN4 and Panasonic can use Step/Dir or CW/CCW.

I caught perhaps a snag with the DYN4 controller. The manual (pg 17) states for Step/Dir or CW/CCW, the minimum pulse width is 800uS.
    I read in the KMotion manual that the maximum pulse width setting is 63uS, much less than the DYN4 requires.

1) Is there a way to lengthen the pulse width to 800uS by FPGA setting or C program?
    2) If more inputs signals are needed, can I use the differential inputs on the Kanalog JP2 port?

Again, thanks much for responding.
    Dave S.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dave,

II did read up on the DYN4 and Panasonic drivers and find that whereas Panasonic can use an analog signal (+-10v) to drive forward and reverse motion, but not for position control. However both the DYN4 and Panasonic can use Step/Dir or CW/CCW.
    Well with analog KFLOP would be controlling the position so don't let that confuse you. Analog mode will allow the axis to move accurately to any position.

I caught perhaps a snag with the DYN4 controller. The manual (pg 17) states for Step/Dir or CW/CCW, the minimum pulse width is 800uS.
    I read in the KMotion manual that the maximum pulse width setting is 63uS, much less than the DYN4 requires.
    I see that also. It must be a typo. Should be 800ns. What's 3 orders of magnitude among friends

Actually a KFLOP setting of 63 sets a maximum pulse width of 3.78us.

The drives seem to accept step/dir or CW/CCW or AB quadrature. Using AB quadrature is the best method to use as it avoids these timing issues and is less susceptible to noise.

2) If more inputs signals are needed, can I use the differential inputs on the Kanalog JP2 port?
    If you are using the KFLOP JP5 for Step/Dir you can't use Kanalog JP2.

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, Tom:

Thanks for steadying my decision making while walking a tightrope.

So further review of the Panasonic manual shows I can use AB quadrature also, so, that is what I will use for both DYN4 and Panasonic drivers. I clearly see these quadrature pulses with my slow Oscilloscope.

I will need the KFlop JP5 port for pulsing 4 of the 6 axis on my machine, so JP2 is out, however, can I use the 5 unused differential pins for digital input on JP1? (3 Pins are used for a lone ABZ encoders.)

Thanks again for my enlightenment.
    Dave S

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dave,

can I use the 5 unused differential pins for digital input on JP1? (3 Pins are used for a lone ABZ encoders.)
    Yes. The 8 differential inputs on Kanalog JP1 map to KFLOP Input Bits 0-7.

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, Tom:
    I have ordered the necessary level shifters and a solder breadboard, so I am on my way. I am still a bit short on all the anticipated/inputs, so I will adding
    a microprocessor to Mux these signals to as many as 6 bits. To interpret the bits, I understand that some C code will need to continuously run in a background thread.
    This will also free up some DIO on the Kanalog board for signals yet imagined.
    Thanks again for pulling me out of the weeds, Dave.